Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

Dear Campolady,

I have read all your posts and am excited to be visiting Málaga, Spain by cruise ship this coming fall in October. I have a husband who has some difficulty walking long distances, so I found a company who offers pick up at La Farola near where the cruise ships dock using a TriciCoche or what we call a pedicab in the States. Do you know anything about the company (Sobre3Ruedas) or using this form of transportation to visit the sites in Málaga?

Thank you very much!

B. J.

Dear Campolady,

I have read all your posts and am excited to be visiting Málaga, Spain by cruise ship this coming fall in October. I have a husband who has some difficulty walking long distances, so I found a company who offers pick up at La Farola near where the cruise ships dock using a TriciCoche or what we call a pedicab in the States. Do you know anything about the company (Sobre3Ruedas) or using this form of transportation to visit the sites in Málaga?

Thank you very much!

B. J.

Sorry - I have never used them myself.

However, this form of transport for seeing Malaga is becoming extremely popular so I am sure that you will have a great time.

Sorry - I have never used them myself.

However, this form of transport for seeing Malaga is becoming extremely popular so I am sure that you will have a great time.

Thank you so much for your quick response. This was the only company that I found online, so did not know if they had any competition or how popular this transportation was. Glad to know that it is catching on.

Best wishes,

B. J.

Hi

I will be travelling with a 3 year old and read there is a play park in walking distance of the port. Is that right?

Thanks in advance

There is a lovely park opposite the port gates with a small play area for young children. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187438-d5572882-Reviews-Malaga_Park-Malaga_Costa_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.htm

http://www.malagaturismo.com/en/tourist-resources/detail/parque-de-malaga-malagas-park/56

VIDEO http://www.spain-holiday.com/Malaga-city/articles/malagas-parks-el-parque-de-malaga

Edited by campolady

Hello Campolady,

We'll be arriving Málaga by ship on a Sunday. Its my understanding that the mercado central Atarazanas is closed on that day? If so, can you recommend bars/ cafes/ restaurants open on Sundays where we could sample tapas/ raciones? Is there a Casco antiguo (old part of town) in Málaga? We're not planning to take any organized excursion, prefer to walk around on our own around the most emblematic area(s) of the city, and sample food. Any recommendations to help us do this would be appreciated!

Hello Campolady,

We'll be arriving Málaga by ship on a Sunday. Its my understanding that the mercado central Atarazanas is closed on that day? If so, can you recommend bars/ cafes/ restaurants open on Sundays where we could sample tapas/ raciones? Is there a Casco antiguo (old part of town) in Málaga? We're not planning to take any organized excursion, prefer to walk around on our own around the most emblematic area(s) of the city, and sample food. Any recommendations to help us do this would be appreciated!

Yes, the market and all major shops will be closed. However, all bars and restaurants will be open. Malaga is very pedestrian friendly; the fascinating old city is the area based around the Cathedral. You may find my other thread 'What to do in Malaga' helpful http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268599 - it includes details of all major places of interest and recommendations for Tapas bars. Have a great time in Malaga.

Edited by campolady

Another question about Malaga: how does one get to the Museo Picasso from the port area? Walking distance? Buses? and how far is the Museo Picasso from Alcazaba? Can you go from one to the other by foot?

Another question about Malaga: how does one get to the Museo Picasso from the port area? Walking distance? Buses? and how far is the Museo Picasso from Alcazaba? Can you go from one to the other by foot?

Both easily done by foot.

The Picasso Museum is just to the rear of the Cathedral and the entrance to the Alcazaba is at the rear of the Roman Ruins a 5 minutes walk from the museum. It will take you 15 minutes to walk from the cruise terminal to the port gates. From the gates you just need to cross 2 roads and you are in the heart of the old city. Total walk from ship to Museum no more than a half hours stroll. If you want to cut down on walking time there is a shuttle available from the cruise terminal to the Plaza Marina.

For detailed information on how to get from the port to the city centre see http://shorebee.com/en/spain/malaga/from-malaga-to-malaga - the Plaza Marina is by the Tourist Office shown on the map and only 5 minutes walk from the Cathedral.

Edited by campolady

What a helpful thread, 2 years later still replying!

What's the weather like mid September? Will it still be hot or will it have started to cool down?

Thanks

Dean

Mid September is still hot but not like August - expect temperatures around 28 degrees. There is a chance of the odd short, sharp shower though.

just a quick question we will be taking our first ta cruise april 2017 on rccl just wanting to know does the ports there in spain do they take u.s dollars or do we half to convert it to there money?

U.S. Dollars are not accepted - you will have to convert to Euros for Spain, Italy, France etc.

Edited by campolady

ok thanks this is totally new to me we have never been outside u.s except on a cruise to mexico or Bahamas

just been doing lots of research

Your first trip to Europe - how exciting! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like - everyone will want you to have a wonderful trip.

thank you I am happy about this trip I have been reading over this thread and have found a lot of helpful information I already have an idea of what I wanna do and see in Malaga I really wanna go see that castle cannot remember name of it but looks interesting

thank you I am happy about this trip I have been reading over this thread and have found a lot of helpful information I already have an idea of what I wanna do and see in Malaga I really wanna go see that castle cannot remember name of it but looks interesting

The castle is Gibralfaro - details of how to get there, and other suggestions of places to visit in Malaga, can be seen on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268599

• 4 months later...

MALAGA FERIA 2016 - If you are in Malaga between 13th and 20th August do not miss going into the city centre to join in the amazing Malaga Feria (Fiesta). Music, dancing, foods and drink, national costumes - the city will be buzzing.

Info - http://www.andalucia.com/festival/malaga-feria.htm

Photos - https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs2pdQZhXSnYAzN9LBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE0cGs5cThkBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUlVS0MwMV8xBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Malaga+Feria&fr=yfp-t-903

Edited by campolady

Is there a hop on hop off bus stop within walking distance of the cruise dock??

You have 2 options. Stop number 6 (see http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tour-details/spain/malaga.htm?id=143) is slightly nearer if you berth at the main terminal - walk for 10 minutes from the terminal building then bear right where all vehicles have to go to exit the port.

Some smaller ships berth closer to the port main entrance when stop number 4 immediately outside the port main gates/just before the Muelle Herrera bus station would be a better option.

For less of a crowd waiting to board I would go for stop number 4. It is a 1.5km walk from the main cruise terminal to the gates taking 15-20 minutes; if you don't want to walk a shuttle train runs from the terminal building to the Plaza Marina opposite the HOHO stop for a fare of (I think) 5 euros.

Edited by campolady

First of all, thank you so much for the fantastic service you've been providing for so long. Info on Malaga and environs is scarce in most guidebooks. (Sorry, Rick Steves, you've let us down here.) I hope the Malaga Tourism Board knows what you've done for their city!

Our upcoming cruise will have 2 stops in Malaga (yeah!). The first stop we'll spend DIYing your wonderful city, using the great tips you've given for getting around on our own. Can't wait for the tapas!

The second stop there's a possibility of an independent small group tour to Ronda. It's one place we've had to miss on other trips to Spain and it looks spectacular in photos. (Fortunately we've seen Granada and Cordoba in depth already.)

Logistically, is that a practical distance for a day tour on a Monday in November? The ship is in port from 8AM to 6PM, and the tour would be from 9AM to 5PM. It would be in a 15-passenger van. There's a stop in Setenil de las Bodegas, then on to Ronda for sightseeing. Are the roads and traffic often an issue? To you, who really knows the area, does this sound like an enjoyable, unhurried day?

TIA for your advice.

Kathy

knippsel

Campolady:

We will be in Malaga on 9/8 arriving 8:00 a.m. What times does the Castillo de Gibralfaro open? What time can we catch the bus from the port to go to the Castle? How often does the bus run? Also, I've seen reference to both Bus 34 and Bus 35? Is there a difference where you catch the buses? Thanks for you help.