Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

Hi, Campolady.

Crazy question. When we were last in Malaga, we were on a foodie tour and we went to a few different places. During our walk, we came across what we thought was a "comic book" store. I know it was after we left the market and BEFORE we ended up walking down toward the water.

Lots of little shops along the way.

Any idea where this might have been? (I know it is a long shot!)

This seems to be in the right location drdaddy https://www.myguidemalaga.com/shopping/comic-stores

• 5 weeks later...
This is currently showing up on the Marbella Escapes website http://marbellaescapes.com/

Please note Marbella Escapes is Permanently Closed for New Bookings. Existing bookings will be honoured.

This company also offer a trip to Ronda from the cruise port lasting 6 hours https://costaexcursions.com/tour/ronda-shore-excursion

I have an excursion to Caminito del Rey booked with Marbella Escapes, but am skeptical as to whether it will take place. Is there public transportation that would get me there. I am in Malaga on a Saturday which seems to make things a bit harder. I have found tour companies that would get me there, but they only operate on weekdays.

Thanks for all the info.

I have an excursion to Caminito del Rey booked with Marbella Escapes, but am skeptical as to whether it will take place. Is there public transportation that would get me there. I am in Malaga on a Saturday which seems to make things a bit harder. I have found tour companies that would get me there, but they only operate on weekdays.

Thanks for all the info.

Not the easiest trip to DIY when you are only in port one day. There is a RENFE train service to El Chorro but, looking at their website, it only runs once in each direction on a Saturday (I used 15th September as a dummy date) and you would have to get a bus or taxi from the station to the start of the Camino del Rey. The train leaves Malaga Maria Zambrano sation at 10.05 arriving at El Chorro at 10.47 and comes back leaving El Chorro at 16.48 arriving in Malaga at 17.30 You don't say when you will be in Malaga but, if after mid-October, the train is not currently not showing up on the website.

RENFE offer a combined ticket available for train/bus/admission to the walk but it can only be bought on the day, has to be purchased before 9.15 and is limited to 100 places which is a bit of a gamble. http://www.renfe.com/ofertas/CercaniasMalaga_CaminitodelRey.html

Will see if I can find any further info for you.

Edited by campolady

I would recommend you take the ships tour to Granada rather than DIY. The local bus takes 2 hours and drops you off at the outskirts of the city then you have to take a minibus or taxi up to the Alhambra whereas ships excursions generally park right by the Palace. If you are going to DIY tickets go on sale 3 months in advance and need to be booked asap; unless you are really in low season you have very little chance of getting tickets on the day as the few that may be available are released first thing in the morning and people queue from 7 a.m. so they will have gone before you arrive. The ships excursion will include entry to the Palace and gardens. We prefer to use the audio guides provided and go round at our own pace rather than go on a guided walk but that is just our personal choice.

A trip to Granada is a long and tiring day - if you go in high season it will be VERY hot so take an ample supply of water with you. Also make sure you wear comfortable low heeled shoes as there are a lot of steps to climb.

Hope this helps.

This is helpful.. I was looking at hiring a private tour guide/driver to get us fro the port to Granada etc

It will be early May

So--is this pushing it?

++

Malaga May 4

Ship in 7am-5pm

With 2 hrs each way that gives us approx 9:30-2:30 in Granada, right?

Alhambra. Skip the LINE guided tour and priority entrance

Palacio Nazaries

Lunch/or snacks

Other highlights of Granada? Generalife Gardens, the Patio de la Sultana, the Ambassador’s Hall, Nasrid Palaces, and the Patio de las Arrayanes

Are we better off staying in Malaga?

This is helpful.. I was looking at hiring a private tour guide/driver to get us fro the port to Granada etc

It will be early May

So--is this pushing it?

++

Malaga May 4

Ship in 7am-5pm

With 2 hrs each way that gives us approx 9:30-2:30 in Granada, right?

Alhambra. Skip the LINE guided tour and priority entrance

Palacio Nazaries

Lunch/or snacks

Other highlights of Granada? Generalife Gardens, the Patio de la Sultana, the Ambassador’s Hall, Nasrid Palaces, and the Patio de las Arrayanes

Are we better off staying in Malaga?

Personally I think you would be taking a gamble going to Granada on a private tour and would stay in Malaga which is a city with so much to offer.

If you really do want to visit Granada once again I would suggest you go on the ships tour - the ship will wait for you if you are delayed coming back due to traffic problems but won't wait if you are on a private tour and traffic jams DO happen regularly.

Personally I think you would be taking a gamble going to Granada on a private tour and would stay in Malaga which is a city with so much to offer.

If you really do want to visit Granada once again I would suggest you go on the ships tour - the ship will wait for you if you are delayed coming back due to traffic problems but won't wait if you are on a private tour and traffic jams DO happen regularly.

Thank you This is VERY helpful

I realize its 10pm your time. TY for responding so quickly

Have a nice night:D

I’ll be in Malaga on Sat Dec 8 on Nieuw Statendam maiden voyage.

Are there any special pre Christmas events going on , concerts or ballets or Christmas markets in the vicinity?

What type of weather can I expect ?

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Malaga will be buzzing with families visiting the wonderful Christmas lights - known to be one of the best displays in Europe see photos here https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJQ5u5ZXpbD2YAuAVLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=malaga+christmas+lights&fr=yfp-t-s

There is a stunning 'son et lumiere' show each evening on Calle Larios (the main pedestrianised shopping street) but this is at 18.30 and 21.30 hours so it depends on what time your ship sails if you will see it. There is a small Christmas Market opposite the park - just exit the main port gates and cross the road mainly selling crafts and traditional wooden toys. There will be Christmas music playing by performers all around the city but Christmas Concerts and Ballets don't start until Christmas week; there will also be various 'Belens' (Nativity Scenes) - don't miss the Belen inside the Cathedral. Weather should be pleasant during the day with temperatures around 18 degrees but you will need a jacket - it can feel quite chilly early morning and as soon as the sun starts to lower around 15.00 hours.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

Campolady,

buenas!

December 8th (mentioned above) is Feast of Immaculate Conception. In Velez Malaga area (which I know well) shops are closed. What happens in Malaga City?

Well spotted VMax - I didn't notice the date. Main shops usually are closed on the 8th - however, last year many privately owned stores in the city opened. Museums, bars and restaurants all open. Just realised we will be in Gran Canaria on the 8th on our cruise so must make enquiries as what to expect there!

Edited by campolady

• 1 month later...

Hi Campolady! Thanks so much for all the help and information you've put out here. I'm using it to put together our day in Malaga on our upcoming Transatlantic. We'll be there on Tuesday the 30th, so it's coming up fast!

We were originally planning on taking the bus or a taxi to the top of Gibralfaro and working our way down through Alcazaba and the Roman theater to Atarazanas, stopping at as many places as possible along the way to eat and drink.

However, I just found out that Gibralfaro doesn't open till 9:00. We dock at 7, and certainly don't want to waste any potential time in Malaga waiting around, so what would you do in that first portion of the day? I was thinking maybe walk past the Cathedral, get churros at Casa Aranda and follow that up with the Atarazanas Market (which should open at 8, right?), but I can't find consistent information of when Casa Aranda opens! I see 7:30, 8, and 8:30 depending on where I look. Do you happen to know when they really open? Or is there something else you'd recommend doing with that first portion of the day? Perhaps your favorite place for coffee or breakfast in Malaga?

We're in port from 7am to 6pm, so we don't get the chance to experience any Malaga nightlife or a proper dinner, but we certainly plan to partake in wine and tapas all afternoon! We're looking forward to visiting this beautiful city.

Hi Campolady! Thanks so much for all the help and information you've put out here. I'm using it to put together our day in Malaga on our upcoming Transatlantic. We'll be there on Tuesday the 30th, so it's coming up fast!

We were originally planning on taking the bus or a taxi to the top of Gibralfaro and working our way down through Alcazaba and the Roman theater to Atarazanas, stopping at as many places as possible along the way to eat and drink.

However, I just found out that Gibralfaro doesn't open till 9:00. We dock at 7, and certainly don't want to waste any potential time in Malaga waiting around, so what would you do in that first portion of the day? I was thinking maybe walk past the Cathedral, get churros at Casa Aranda and follow that up with the Atarazanas Market (which should open at 8, right?), but I can't find consistent information of when Casa Aranda opens! I see 7:30, 8, and 8:30 depending on where I look. Do you happen to know when they really open? Or is there something else you'd recommend doing with that first portion of the day? Perhaps your favorite place for coffee or breakfast in Malaga?

We're in port from 7am to 6pm, so we don't get the chance to experience any Malaga nightlife or a proper dinner, but we certainly plan to partake in wine and tapas all afternoon! We're looking forward to visiting this beautiful city.

Apart from cafes you won't find much open in Malaga before 9 a.m. - the market doors open around 8 but many stalls aren't ready for business until 9ish. Therefore your best bet is to head for Casa Aranda first that generally opens at 8 a.m. (and fills very quickly).

Wishing you a lovely day in Malaga - we are sailing from there on 21st October for a week and will spend the night before in our usual city centre hotel, then having a 2 night stay in the city early November followed by spending another 2 nights there over New Year so you can tell that we visit as often as possible!

Hi I noted that Spain Day tours offers a Malaga-Grenada trip and the cruise ship offers something too---

The ship is just a transfer to do Grenada "on your own". I am waiting for specifics from Spain Day tours.

However I was under the impression that the roads/traffic/construction can be dicey.

Thoughts on trying to get to the Alhambra? Only in port from 7/8 to 5/6 ish

TYIA

Hi I noted that Spain Day tours offers a Malaga-Grenada trip and the cruise ship offers something too---

The ship is just a transfer to do Grenada "on your own". I am waiting for specifics from Spain Day tours.

However I was under the impression that the roads/traffic/construction can be dicey.

Thoughts on trying to get to the Alhambra? Only in port from 7/8 to 5/6 ish

TYIA

Personally I think it is a lot of travelling for a short time in Granada (its spelt with an a not an e by the way). If you really want to go I would do the ships excursion in case of the notorious traffic delays - your ship will wait for one of its own tours but may not if you are on an excursion by a different company.

Personally I think it is a lot of travelling for a short time in Granada (its spelt with an a not an e by the way). If you really want to go I would do the ships excursion in case of the notorious traffic delays - your ship will wait for one of its own tours but may not if you are on an excursion by a different company.

Thanks. TY Food for thought.

we have done a long day before RT to Berlin for a "drive-by" of all of the major sites with our adult boys who were hot to see it... I agree that with the ship/port times it is a short day AND risky to do private.

Would be a shame to miss the Alhambra...

Hi! I also am looking at Spain Day tours for a trip to the Alhambra. We currently are scheduled to be in port at 7 am, with the tour leaving at 7:30. The ship is scheduled to depart at 8 pm.

Spain Day Tours "guarantees" an on-time return to the ship. I am just wondering whether the slightly longer time in port would change one's opinion about a private tour company versus taking the ship's tour. (The latter does not allow much time for actually touring the Alhambra). Thanks for your input!

Hi! I also am looking at Spain Day tours for a trip to the Alhambra. We currently are scheduled to be in port at 7 am, with the tour leaving at 7:30. The ship is scheduled to depart at 8 pm.

Spain Day Tours "guarantees" an on-time return to the ship. I am just wondering whether the slightly longer time in port would change one's opinion about a private tour company versus taking the ship's tour. (The latter does not allow much time for actually touring the Alhambra). Thanks for your input!

That should be plenty of time. I did a tour to Alhambra with Spain Day Tours in 2017. We left the port at 8:30 am, as our ship did not dick until 8:00am had a 7-9 hour tour which included not only a 2.5 hour tour of the Alhambra (with guide) but also included free time in Granada for lunch. It is a long ride from Malaga to Granda, but great countryside, olive orchards to look at or take a nap. Spain Day did a great job.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. I'm currently booked on a Spain Day tour to Alhambra on October 26th and they sent this notice today: "I am writing to you today to let you know that there are currently Road Improvement Works taking place on the road to and from Granada . These have just started now and are due to continue until the end of October. At the moment, it seems that this is adding about 20 minutes in drive-time each way, which means that depending on the circumstances on the day of travel, we are not likely to be able to visit the Granada city center during the free time, and will have to spend it around the Alhambra . Our utmost priority is to make sure we are on time, and due to traffic issues and drop off restrictions in the Granada city center, we are not likely to be able to include a visit to the Granada city center due to the added delays in traffic"

Based on your advice that it is a long trip without the delay I decided I will cancel this tour and just stay in Malaga.

Edited by StillLooking4Adventure

Thanks. I'm currently booked on a Spain Day tour to Alhambra on October 26th and they sent this notice today: "I am writing to you today to let you know that there are currently Road Improvement Works taking place on the road to and from Granada . These have just started now and are due to continue until the end of October. At the moment, it seems that this is adding about 20 minutes in drive-time each way, which means that depending on the circumstances on the day of travel, we are not likely to be able to visit the Granada city center during the free time, and will have to spend it around the Alhambra . Our utmost priority is to make sure we are on time, and due to traffic issues and drop off restrictions in the Granada city center, we are not likely to be able to include a visit to the Granada city center due to the added delays in traffic"

Based on your advice that it is a long trip without the delay I decided I will cancel this tour and just stay in Malaga.

Very sensible - and Malaga has more than enough to see to occupy you all day.

Hi Campolady,

Just to thank you for all your posts and info provided. We have just returned from Magic of Spain and I took lots of your notes with us. Cartagena, followed your instructions to the lift to the Castillo de la Conception and had a great time looking round the castle and then down into the town (I did find the lift a bit scary, lol)

We also took your advice on Malaga, unfortuntely we had just missed the bus so decided to start walking and see how we got on. It was very hot but it took us half hour at a medium pace to get to the Gibralfaro and, again we missed the return bus so walked down which took around 20 minutes. We loved the Alcazar, lots of shaded places to sit. Then just meandered round and had tapas in one of the restaurants. Thanks once again:)

Hi Campolady,

Just to thank you for all your posts and info provided. We have just returned from Magic of Spain and I took lots of your notes with us. Cartagena, followed your instructions to the lift to the Castillo de la Conception and had a great time looking round the castle and then down into the town (I did find the lift a bit scary, lol)

We also took your advice on Malaga, unfortuntely we had just missed the bus so decided to start walking and see how we got on. It was very hot but it took us half hour at a medium pace to get to the Gibralfaro and, again we missed the return bus so walked down which took around 20 minutes. We loved the Alcazar, lots of shaded places to sit. Then just meandered round and had tapas in one of the restaurants. Thanks once again:)

So glad you found the info of use Dronnygirl. We are back at Cartagena on the 27th (my birthday!) - the final full day of Spirits final sailing with Marella; will be celebrating with a trip to the Valor Chocolate House for sure lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 1:47 PM, 1ANGELCAT said:

campolady, I just read about the catastrophic flooding in the area. First of all, I hope you are safe and well.

Secondly, what effects will this have for tourism in the area , and time for recovery?

Sorry for the delay in replying 1Angelcat - we only came home from our latest cruise today,  Have done a bit of research after reading your post as hadn't heard about the flooding but it seems everything is now OK and back to normal thank you - we came off the ship at Malaga then drove along the coast back home and no signs of any problems at all.

• 3 weeks later...