Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

We are planning on going to the Picasso Museum. How would we walk there from the cruise terminal? Are the Cathedral and the old market nearby?

From the cruise terminal walk through the 'Muelle Uno' development of bars and restaurants to the main port entrance - about 15 minutes walk or take the port shuttle bus. Cross the coast road then walk on to the next road which is Malaga main street the Alameda Principal (you will pass the park between the 2 roads). Cross the Alameda Principal and you will see the Cathedral tower to your right just slightly to the rear. The Cathedral is sited at Calle Molina Lario number 9. http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/cathedral.htm

The Cathedral is sited by the Bishops Square - a lovely place to have a quick coffee. Facing the Cathedral with the Square behind you turn left and walk just a few yards to Calle Granada. Half way down Calle Granada - and just past the famous Bar El Pimpi - is Calle San Agustin and the Picasso Museum is in the Palacio Buenavista at number 8. http://www.museopicassomalaga.org/en/home

The Ataranzas Market is a further 5 minutes walk away atCalle Ataranzas number 10. https://www.spain-holiday.com/Malaga-city/articles/atarazanas-malagas-central-market

Zoom in on this map and you will see how close all 3 places are. https://www.malaga.com/map/

Edited by campolady

We live mid-way between Malaga and Granada and know the city of Malaga well.

If anyone visiting Malaga on a cruise has any questions I will be happy to do my best to help - the city is not great at promoting itself which is such a shame as it has so much to offer.

DearCampolady,

We will be arriving in Malaga on November 19, 2019 on the “Sky Princess” from 10:00am to 8:00pm. I would love to do a tour to Cordoba that would pick us up at the ship and return us to the ship no later than 7:00pm. The tour should include the mosque, cathedral, synagogue, Jewish Quarter and a panoramic tour of the Roman Bridge for pictures with a minimum of walking. First, is this doable with the amount of time we have?Second, do you know of any company that can furnish this tour? We also will be arriving in Seville(Cadiz) on November 20, 2019 from 8:00am to 6:00pm, if this is a better port to do this tour. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,Princess Sailor

Edited by Princess Sailor
interval of spacing

DearCampolady,

We will be arriving in Malaga on November 19, 2019 on the “Sky Princess” from 10:00am to 8:00pm. I would love to do a tour to Cordoba that would pick us up at the ship and return us to the ship no later than 7:00pm. The tour should include the mosque, cathedral, synagogue, Jewish Quarter and a panoramic tour of the Roman Bridge for pictures with a minimum of walking. First, is this doable with the amount of time we have?Second, do you know of any company that can furnish this tour? We also will be arriving in Seville(Cadiz) on November 20, 2019 from 8:00am to 6:00pm, if this is a better port to do this tour. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,Princess Sailor

Most excursions I know of to Cordoba from Malaga depart before 10 a.m. as it is a 2.5 hours drive there; most people on a tight schedule like yours would go by AVE train that takes an hour but obviously would include a lot of walking which wouldn't suit you.

A private tour would be your best bet and VIP Malaga Tours offer a trip to Cordoba with a flexible departure time http://www.vipmalagatours.com/Cordoba-tour-from-Malaga.html

Spaindaytours offer day excursions from Cadiz to Cordoba where your port times may be more useful. However, I do not know whether they have a pick up point at the port or how much walking would be involved. http://spaindaytours.com/cordoba-tour.html

Hope this helps.

By the way, I realise that it is not what you want, but for a more relaxing day Malaga has a lot to offer and is very easily seen by horse drawn carriage whilst the fascinating old city centre is very compact and DIY friendly if you can do a little walking.

Edited by campolady

Hello CampoLady

I have read all the posts here on Malaga and am so grateful for all the wonderful information. we will be stopping in Malaga on a cruise for a whole day. Initially we were thinking of doing a four hour tour to Mijas with the cruiseline but now I am thinking I want to spend the whole day in Malaga instead!

You mentioned "fritura malaguena", where is the best place to have that? We would like to enjoy tapas as well so maybe a place that has it all?

Muchas gracias

For Fritura in Malaga we generally go to 'Bodega Quitapenas' who have several venues in the old city centre - the ones we use are at Calle Sanchez Pastor number 4 and Calle Angel number 1; food here is primarily fish and seafood. Well priced with drinks reasonably priced too - try the delicious (and rather lethal) 'Champagne' Cocktails made with Cava.

For tapas in general we like Bodeguita El Gallo immediately facing the entrance to the Picasso Museum on Calle San Agustin.

If you don't mind 'slumming' it a bit another regular place for us is Cafeteria Axarquia on the Alameda Principal (main road through the city centre) - rough and ready with a generous supply of slot machines but full of locals eating great value/delicious local food including excellent Fritura Malaguena.

There is also a bar/restaurant on the corner of the Plaza del Obispo (Bishops Squar)e facing the side of the Cathedral on Calle Molina Lario whose name currently escapes me but they always advertise a platter of 5 different tapas that is good value.

Edited by campolady

I cannot say thank you enough for all this information! It is awesome! Have definitely decided to stay in Malaga when we arrive in October on The Constellation. Campolady you are a great resource! Thank you so much! Dragon of the Seas thank you for the beautiful pictures too! Have decide the 2 hour ride to the Alhambra will have to wait for another trip to Spain.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know what Malaga does for Dia De Los Muertos? I will be there this year and would love to soak up some tradition, and must do for this Day of the year. I know it's still over 7 months away but I'm a planner.

1st November is known here more as Fiesta de Todos Los Santos/All Saints Day rather than the Mexican 'Dia de los Muertos'. Apart from the fact that Spanish families visit family graves - especially taking Chrysanthemums - I know of no special events but, as it is a national holiday, many shops will be closed although museums and restaurants will be open and for the past couple of years the large 'El Corte Ingles' department has also opened. Bakeries that open will be selling traditional marzipan based treats called 'Huesos de Santo; (Saints Bones). After visiting the cemeteries local Spanish families like to enjoy a meal in Malaga centre so restaurants and Tapas Bars will be buzzing with a great atmosphere.

Edited by campolady

Hi Campolady

You really are a foutain of information on this site. Thank you so much!! I have a quick question for you. We are stopping in Malaga on Sunday May 12th. We have signed up for the free walking tour that I think begins at 11am. As it is a Sunday, we would like to attend mass at the cathedral first. I think I saw a mass time of 9am, is it a far walk to where the walking tour begins if we attend that mass? Also, would we just take the shuttle to the center of town and walk to the cathedral?

Hi Campolady

You really are a foutain of information on this site. Thank you so much!! I have a quick question for you. We are stopping in Malaga on Sunday May 12th. We have signed up for the free walking tour that I think begins at 11am. As it is a Sunday, we would like to attend mass at the cathedral first. I think I saw a mass time of 9am, is it a far walk to where the walking tour begins if we attend that mass? Also, would we just take the shuttle to the center of town and walk to the cathedral?

Most walking tours such as this one https://www.freetour.com/malaga/free-walking-tour-malaga meet at the Plaza de la Constitucion which is only a 5 minutes walk from the Cathedral. If you are have a different meeting point just let me know where it is.

I am not sure that the shuttle bus will be running in time for you to get to 9 a.m. mass so it would probably be safer to take a taxi to the Cathedral or the walk from the cruise terminal would take around 20-25 minutes.

Edited by campolady

Most walking tours such as this one https://www.freetour.com/malaga/free-walking-tour-malaga meet at the Plaza de la Constitucion which is only a 5 minutes walk from the Cathedral. If you are have a different meeting point just let me know where it is.

I am not sure that the shuttle bus will be running in time for you to get to 9 a.m. mass so it would probably be safer to take a taxi to the Cathedral or the walk from the cruise terminal would take around 20-25 minutes.

Thanks so much for the info. I checked our tour and it does meet there. We will most likely go with a taxi as the rest of the day will be filled with walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for the info. I checked our tour and it does meet there. We will most likely go with a taxi as the rest of the day will be filled with walking.

Glad to help - have a great day in Malaga.

Campolady, first let me thank you for the wealth of info you provide re Malaga. Love Malaga....our favourite port in Europe.

On our first visit over 10 years ago, we stumbled upon a beach near the port. That is probably the beach you have recommended near the port.

In recent years, we have gone to town, shopping areas, tapas bars and the market by way of the marina with the restaurants and returned that way.

This May when we are there, we would like to combine our walk to town with a return by way of the beach.

Is there a shorter way to get to the beach without having to return to the port area and going right at the junction you mentioned?

Campolady, first let me thank you for the wealth of info you provide re Malaga. Love Malaga....our favourite port in Europe.

On our first visit over 10 years ago, we stumbled upon a beach near the port. That is probably the beach you have recommended near the port.

In recent years, we have gone to town, shopping areas, tapas bars and the market by way of the marina with the restaurants and returned that way.

This May when we are there, we would like to combine our walk to town with a return by way of the beach.

Is there a shorter way to get to the beach without having to return to the port area and going right at the junction you mentioned?[/quote

Finish your walk at the Cathedral area then walk down towards the coast road or through the park; bear left and you will be at the beach (5 minutes walk) and you can come back to the cruise terminal via the port rear entrance at the right hand end of the beach.

Is there a shorter way to get to the beach without having to return to the port area and going right at the junction you mentioned?[/quote

Finish your walk at the Cathedral area then walk down towards the coast road or through the park; bear left and you will be at the beach (5 minutes walk) and you can come back to the cruise terminal via the port rear entrance at the right hand end of the beach.

Thank you again. Knew we had to bear left at some point but did not know when and where do we ended up going the same way we went to town. Now we know with your advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Campolady,

How nice to know you are still around. I think some of us did not realize that there was this other thread. Glad you are still posting with all your great suggestions.

We have been in Malaga before and enjoyed the foodie tour with one of the excellent operators there. This time we would just like to wonder around and enjoy. We DO want to do Churros and Chocolate. They took us to this wonderful spot that had every person living in Malaga eating there. I know it is just to the left of the tourist info center but not sure of the street name(s). I am sure it is very famous but cannot figure which one. We were seated in a small stall like store and there were quite a few of these spots up and down the alley. Of course you don't know which one it was but I know you can probably take a good guess.

And then from there if we walk north and then east we will encounter the pedestrian street (Lario?) and back to the shuttle. Is that correct? We did the market last time. Is that still worthwhile but I cannot figure the walking route.

Thanks!

Campolady,

How nice to know you are still around. I think some of us did not realize that there was this other thread. Glad you are still posting with all your great suggestions.

We have been in Malaga before and enjoyed the foodie tour with one of the excellent operators there. This time we would just like to wonder around and enjoy. We DO want to do Churros and Chocolate. They took us to this wonderful spot that had every person living in Malaga eating there. I know it is just to the left of the tourist info center but not sure of the street name(s). I am sure it is very famous but cannot figure which one. We were seated in a small stall like store and there were quite a few of these spots up and down the alley. Of course you don't know which one it was but I know you can probably take a good guess.

And then from there if we walk north and then east we will encounter the pedestrian street (Lario?) and back to the shuttle. Is that correct? We did the market last time. Is that still worthwhile but I cannot figure the walking route.

Thanks!

Think the place you mean is probably Casa Aranda - its THE place to go for Churros in Malaga and is an institution for locals.

Yes, just bear north east from Casa Aranda for a hundred meters of so and you will be on Calle Larios. The market is also only a 5 minutes walk from Casa Aranda - just ask the waiter to point you in the right direction.

This link has a map that shows Casa Aranda in relation to the market and Calle Larios. Zoom in and look to the bottom of the screen for the Estatua del Marques de Larios near the Plaza de la Marina (where the shuttle usually stops) and park - the blue sign containing a bag shows the start of Calle Larios. http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/food-and-drink/tea-rooms-coffee-shops-and-lounges/casa-aranda-p62121

Edited by campolady

• 2 months later...
I made donations to the local cal economy last year and will again next year.

Does anyone have info on marbella escapes? They offer a tour to ronda but the reviews on trip advisor are not all good so we were wondering if anyone had any first hand information. Also is it feasible to do this trip in 8 hours from the malaga cruise port??

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Forums mobile app

Does anyone have info on marbella escapes? They offer a tour to ronda but the reviews on trip advisor are not all good so we were wondering if anyone had any first hand information. Also is it feasible to do this trip in 8 hours from the malaga cruise port??

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Forums mobile app

This is currently showing up on the Marbella Escapes website http://marbellaescapes.com/

Please note Marbella Escapes is Permanently Closed for New Bookings. Existing bookings will be honoured.

This company also offer a trip to Ronda from the cruise port lasting 6 hours https://costaexcursions.com/tour/ronda-shore-excursion

This is currently showing up on the Marbella Escapes website http://marbellaescapes.com/

Please note Marbella Escapes is Permanently Closed for New Bookings. Existing bookings will be honoured.

This company also offer a trip to Ronda from the cruise port lasting 6 hours https://costaexcursions.com/tour/ronda-shore-excursion

I did see the website said that but I got an e-mail from the "owner" of the tour company so I was apprehensive about booking with him. THANK YOU so much for the info on the other excursion I will look into booking that one.

Hi, Campolady.

Crazy question. When we were last in Malaga, we were on a foodie tour and we went to a few different places. During our walk, we came across what we thought was a "comic book" store. I know it was after we left the market and BEFORE we ended up walking down toward the water.

Lots of little shops along the way.

Any idea where this might have been? (I know it is a long shot!)