security at port of miami

Billfrompa

I was wondering if they had the x-ray things like the airport but from what I've found I think its you walk through metal detectors and your bags go through the x-ray. I'm not fond of these new x-ray machines at airports only bc I don't need someone to see me naked and my lady parts ending up online haha! I was reading a tsa blog however and I was amazed that people still bring guns, knives, grenades and other things to airports! So I am glad they do it after reading that and sorry for the person who has to see me naked:eek:!

TSA does not operate at ports. Port security is provided by DHS, ICE, and private port security contractors. The contractors usually are the ones that operate the checkpoints in the terminals. They scan your luggage with xray machines and require passengers to pass through a metal detector.

TSA only operates at US airports.

Edited by Eng23

You planning 'an event' ?

Thanks to all that responded. The reason I asked is about wine. Took a cruise out of tampa a couple years ago and had enough wine in my carry-on to open a bar on deck. I put the bag through the scanner and not a "batted eyelash". Someone on the ship that used to work at the port in Galveston said that TSA couldn't care less about your wine and booze-- they just want to make sure you're not a bad-guy. Carnival employees would probably be another story, he said. Happy cruising to all! Bill.

Thanks to all that responded. The reason I asked is about wine. Took a cruise out of tampa a couple years ago and had enough wine in my carry-on to open a bar on deck. I put the bag through the scanner and not a "batted eyelash". Someone on the ship that used to work at the port in Galveston said that TSA couldn't care less about your wine and booze-- they just want to make sure you're not a bad-guy. Carnival employees would probably be another story, he said. Happy cruising to all! Bill.

The people working the scanners are looking for alcohol, prohibited items, and other dangers regardless of who their employer is. It's their job to look for them. It's not TSA though.

I believe you will be fine bringing more than 1 bottle of wine through security in Miami (as long as you're reasonable about it). I just cruised Carnival out of Miami a few week ago. My spouse and I were each going to carry on 1 bottle and my in laws were going to take 1 bottle each for us. My in laws are platinum though and got priority boarding. When we separated they forgot to take "their" wine. So we each went through with 2 bottles. Nobody said anything. In fact, I'm cruising out of New York on Carnival in a few days and might try to take 2 bottles each. I'm not sure how much this experience will vary by port. Any inputs are appreciated.

I believe you will be fine bringing more than 1 bottle of wine through security in Miami (as long as you're reasonable about it). I just cruised Carnival out of Miami a few week ago. My spouse and I were each going to carry on 1 bottle and my in laws were going to take 1 bottle each for us. My in laws are platinum though and got priority boarding. When we separated they forgot to take "their" wine. So we each went through with 2 bottles. Nobody said anything. In fact, I'm cruising out of New York on Carnival in a few days and might try to take 2 bottles each. I'm not sure how much this experience will vary by port. Any inputs are appreciated.

I had two 5-liter wine boxes in a big carry-on and also checked another bag with three 5-liter boxes in it. Yes-- I still have a liver. Other people were with us on a 7-day cruise. This was through tampa. I only asked in the original thread question because we haven't been out of miami for a while. As for the other poster that is a "platinum" cruiser that thinks I'm weird--- I'm platinum too!!!

Does TSA or do Carnival personnel scan and x-ray before you get on the ship?

It's kind of funny how the responses were, there were 2 different in terperetations of the question. One was people thinking you were trying to sneak something, the other is simply wanting to know if they were independent or Carnival employees scanning. My answer is independent contractors. My daughter scans in Boston, she does not work for any cruise line.

It's kind of funny how the responses were, there were 2 different in terperetations of the question. One was people thinking you were trying to sneak something, the other is simply wanting to know if they were independent or Carnival employees scanning. My answer is independent contractors. My daughter scans in Boston, she does not work for any cruise line.

I probably could have phrased the question a little better at first. Might not try to bring much booze on for our next cruise anyway. Last cruise we spent over 400 bucks on our bar bill; so we are thinking about just buying the drink package and be done with it. Happy cruising!! Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect if you and wife go thru separately you can claim the extra bottle is for the other if questioned. I doubt if they'd go any further.