Freestyle Coke Machine

Ok I am confused Clarea,

I have purchased the soda unlimted package I think it was $59.00.

So I guess my question is do we or do we not get a cup will be on Independence and that ship does not have the freestyle machine.

Also Clarea can you get a can soda at bar with your unlimted card.

I've read, and read one thing then another and so darn confused. I would like to be able to take a can of soda back to the cabin at night.

Thanks

Please forgive me for jumping in. This will be our first cruise that Ihave gotten the soda package but I have read extensively about it.

From what I understand everyone gets the cup whether the ship has a freestyle machine or not. You can use the cup anywhere to get a drink or you can use you SeaPass card and they will give you a drink in a glass. You cannot get a canned drink unless you pay extra for it. You can only get fountain drinks.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Indy does not have a Freestyle machine.

You will still get a cup, however there are no self-serve soda machines on Indy, so you will have to give your cup to a bar server who will fill it with fountain soda. You don't have to use the cup. You can show your SeaPass card to a bar server and they will give you a glass of fountain soda. However, the special cup is insulated and larger than the typical soda glass, so it may help reduce the number of times you need to ask for a refill.

No cans are included in the soda package. Your choices will be Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, and Soda Water.

You can opt to purchase a can of soda. The cost will be $2.88, including gratuity.

I'm sorry, Clarea. We must have been posting at the same time.

The cup is one solid piece, while I could cut off/open the base easily enough at home I'm not sure what you would do with no tools while on the ship. The cup is fairly sturdy, more so (in my opinion) than the soda tumblers you get on the ships that don't yet have Freestyle machines.

Pic of the cup base attached.

Of course I know I have to take it out of my pocket to use it. I'm an Engineer and have some RFID knowledge so placing it won't be a problem.

I'm more interested in where it is located at inside the cup base and how hard it is to get to. Anyone have any pics?

image.jpg.482a022d032fa46d9d10a10bd9e21f55.jpg

Edited by JasonV1

The cup is one solid piece, while I could cut off/open the base easily enough at home I'm not sure what you would do with no tools while on the ship. The cup is fairly sturdy, more so (in my opinion) than the soda tumblers you get on the ships that don't yet have Freestyle machines.

Pic of the cup base attached.

Thanks for the info Jason. The one solid piece part sucks. Was hoping it would be something I could easily pull off or break apart as I really hate dealing with dragging that cup everywhere and then having to clean it out all the time. Why not just RFID chips or barcode on your SeaPass cards that would be scanned by the machine. So much easier and flexible then!

The cup is not one solid piece, look at the picture that is earlier in this thread. It is a double walled, insulated cup that has a seam at the top, even a mother of an engineer can see that one swift whack on a solid object would most likely separate the cup at this seam. The inner cup should then come out easily, remove the paper coke propaganda and you should be able to access the RFID chip.

Technically this is correct. The "inner" cup piece includes the cup rim, where it is molded to the "outer" cup.

Of course RFID tags aren't really meant to be carried around; they are just a small chip with thin flexible copper wire around them as an antenna. If you really wanted to do this you would need something relatively stable to hold the chip all week. This is assuming the chip isn't hold glued into the base anyway, which it may be to make it more secure. If it is removing it may be impossible, even if you could separate the inner and outer cuts.

When I said one piece in my earlier post I was comparing it to the old style soda tumblers with the black upper piece that doesn't appear nearly as secured to the lower (clear) cup as this freestyle cups are.

If I had another cup I would attempt to tear one apart to see if you can even get at the chip; as it is this is my only one and I use it at work. If I get another in March on the Allure maybe I'll tear one apart.

RFID chip with antenna (I assume the cup doesn't need an antenna nearly as large since the chip is much closer to the reader):

rfid-large.jpg

The cup is not one solid piece, look at the picture that is earlier in this thread. It is a double walled, insulated cup that has a seam at the top, even a mother of an engineer can see that one swift whack on a solid object would most likely separate the cup at this seam. The inner cup should then come out easily, remove the paper coke propaganda and you should be able to access the RFID chip.

Technically this is correct. The "inner" cup piece includes the cup rim, where it is molded to the "outer" cup.

Of course RFID tags aren't really meant to be carried around; they are just a small chip with thin flexible copper wire around them as an antenna. If you really wanted to do this you would need something relatively stable to hold the chip all week. This is assuming the chip isn't hold glued into the base anyway, which it may be to make it more secure. If it is removing it may be impossible, even if you could separate the inner and outer cuts.

rfid-large.jpg

Thanks Jason. Yes, you need the RFID tag still affixed to something to carry around. Ideally it would be affixed to a plastic disc or something a plastic disc or substrate that just sits inside the base that is easily removable once cracking it open.

If you don't mind cracking yours open at some point I'd love to have the info. I'm going on Allure in May and I love the freestyle machines but HATE carrying those tumblers around, so am really interested hacking mine up when I get there.

Thanks.

Scott

You are all just complicating it to hell. If you don't want to use the tumbler, just show a bartender your card and get a glass of fountain soda. If you want to use machine, use the damn tumbler. It's a free souvenir that comes with soda program. Does everybody have to find fault with it?

You are all just complicating it to hell. If you don't want to use the tumbler, just show a bartender your card and get a glass of fountain soda. If you want to use machine, use the damn tumbler. It's a free souvenir that comes with soda program. Does everybody have to find fault with it?

You may have issues if you're cursing over something as simple as soda. Just sayin lol

You may have issues if you're cursing over something as simple as soda. Just sayin lol

I know. Fretting on how to use machine, how to take the cup apart so they can use a different kind of cup. Geez. Talking about control issues. There are more things on a cruise to worry about. LOL.

Edited by pizzaeater

No. RCI is the one that has complicated it all to hell. The simple thing that would have made the most sense is to have it use the SeaPass card since you can't take a crap without having it on you at all times.

Having to carry that freaking tumbler with you everywhere is annoying and then you have to deal with cleaning it out all the time. There are places on the ship, like the Windjammer, where you don't have the option of a bar there so dragging the tumbler with you or walking across the ship to your room to get it is your only option. Not to mention I prefer the options I can get from the Freestyle machines I can't get at the bar, not to mention bar fountain dispensers often aren't well maintained and have a mix that tastes like ass.

The last time I was on Allure, I left the tumbler in the room and never used it once.

You only need the special cup if you want to use the Freestyle machine. You can also get a soda from any bar or restaurant by showing your SeaPass card, which will indicate you purchased the soda package. The selection is limited from bars and restaurants.

Also, Splendour does not have a Freestyle machine.

Thanks a lot for the prompt answer!

Feel much better now :)

That's a great idea. My son and I play basketball a lot and I have always been worried I (or actually he ;)) would leave it at the court. Now you have given me the idea to bring some sort of plastic containers to put the sodas in and leave the cup in the room except for dinner and times we would be less likely to lose it. Even the bar gives you a glass' date=' I believe, and glass is not good to take into the court so we could get refills very easily and transfer them from glass to the plastic.

Thanks for the help.[/quote']

Quick question. I thought the cups have the chip on the bottom to keep track of use. How does a plastic cup work to take it's place?

Sounds like you might be a beer drinker. Can you tell me just what beers are available (Freedom in April) for the beer/wine "Select" package. Thanks.

Here's a pub beer menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38675006&postcount=4

I believe only 2 or 3 of the beers on the list are excluded.

Edited by clarea

Quick question. I thought the cups have the chip on the bottom to keep track of use. How does a plastic cup work to take it's place?

There's a conversation going on about removing the chip. Back up a page or 2.

The cup is only actually needed for ships with the Freestyle machines. That is the only time the chip is needed in order to get the drinks out of the machines. That is the only cup that will work in the machines. Otherwise, it is a souvenir.

Here's a pub beer menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38675006&postcount=4

I believe only 2 or 3 of the beers on the list are excluded.

I have a feeling these beers are only in the pub on the Oasis. We will be on Freedom and I believe all the bars serving beer only offer about 5-6 different beers, maybe even less. Plus I'm sure it's nothing fancy. I do appreciate your answer just doesn't really help me out though. Anyone else want to say what beers you drank with your beer/wine package...now at $335 for a 7-day cruise?

I have a feeling these beers are only in the pub on the Oasis. We will be on Freedom and I believe all the bars serving beer only offer about 5-6 different beers, maybe even less. Plus I'm sure it's nothing fancy. I do appreciate your answer just doesn't really help me out though. Anyone else want to say what beers you drank with your beer/wine package...now at $335 for a 7-day cruise?

Freedom has a pub on the Royal Promenade (deck 5) where the same menu will be offered.

WQW....I didn't know that. Great. And are all these beers available there (minus a few) with the Beer/Wine "Select" Package?

I'm impressed. Thanks for setting me straight.

Yes, there's only a 3 or 4 of the beers listed that are not covered by the Select package.

Quick question and if it's been ask sorry.

Will the guys walking around the ship by the pool and other area bring you a soda if you have the "just Soda Card" or do you have to go to the bar every time.

Thanks,

Marcy

I'm not sure, but since they can't get any additional tip from a refill soda they probably wouldn't want to do it.