Motion sickness patch rx

kalikid

So the Dr. prescribe me the patch and it last for up to 3 days.

I'm wondering how it's suppose to stay on after taking a swim or showering?

Anyone have experience with this?

Did it make you drowsy or any other side effects?

from what I've seen they stick very well even when wet altho I've never worn one, we did have them on my ships and the corpsman could issue them to those who asked.

Some people react VERY strongly to these. I've seen some get very lethargic & others fall asleep. A less severe but common reaction is dry mouth.

My recommendation is to wear one at home b4 you sail and see how you react . . . if you are considering drinking while wearing 'em try it at home first . . . My father tried 'em once and acted drunk as a skunk after one glass of wine. He was usually a 2 martini guy but the patch knocked him on his ***. He didn't remember the first night of his first cruise altho he was 'the life of the party'

on one cruise a lady at our table RAVED about the patch which she was trying for the first time after getting sick on every previous cruise. Every night we heard the story. Hubby never said a word. Final night she excused herself and he burst in laughter, "I just must tell you I forgot to pick up the patches, she's just got a round Band-Aid behind her ear."

When she returned I managed a peak ... sure 'nuff .... Band-Aid!

For MANY people, sea sickness is all in the head . . .

I use them on every cruise because seasickness is NOT in my head. I have no side effects from them but of course that's not the case with everyone, and I don't drink much alcohol at all. I did sweat a patch off once, so be sure you have some extras. For me, they last about seven days instead of three. I fly in the day before and put the patch on either before the flight or before I go to bed in the hotel.

I hope they work as well for you as they do for me.

I decided to try the patch on our second cruise. I thought I might need it as I had some issue with motion on our first cruise. However, that was probably due to the cold I came down with halfway thru :mad: . The one side effect I experienced was blurred vision. I noticed it when trying to read a menu in one of the restaurant. I couldn't make heads or tales of any text right in front of my face. So, I proceeded to immediately freak out... thoughts of "tumor" passed thru my head. When we got back to the stateroom, I had DW read the side effects listed on the box to me. I then promptly took that patch off and was back to normal in a few hours. I've never tried it again nor have I ever felt that I needed it.

My husband and I have both used the patch. He still does.

1. It stays on through showers and swimming... mostly. But once my husband thought he lost his swimming, and I put on another patch. Later his mouth got very dry and normally he has no side effects. When he went in to take a shower - he noticed the first patch had slid from his neck down to his back. So with the second patch he was double dosing. We took off the patch that was on his back and his side effects went away in a few hours.

2. Yes there are side effects, they vary by person. I get such a dry mouth that I can't use the patch. I wake up at night unable to swallow. But I take another medicine which causes a little dry mouth and combining them is torture for me. My husband has no side effects.... and no seasickness.

Potential side effects ..... dry mouth, dizziness, lethargy, difficulty unrinating, blurred vision, weakness, sweating, confusion, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting ..... and quite a few more

It might be wise to try one before you ever leave home to see if you have any problems with side effects.

Another option is ginger root, available in capsules, which can be purchased where vitamins and supplements are sold, such as Walmart or your local drugstore. Costs about $5-6 for a bottle of 100 capsules. It has no known significant side effects, and does not cause drowsiness. About the only medical reason not to use ginger for nausea that I have found in researching it is if one takes "blood thinners" and antiplatelet meds, such as Plavix, because it enhances the effect of the medication. Also if one has an allergy to it, of course. It would be prudent to check with you doctor about whether it would be OK for you to try ginger.