Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words. It makes it all worth while.

Dotted along the route there will be picnic places with a tables and benches.

If they are all occupied bring a blanket from the ship to sit on:)

If you need grocery stores there are many on the street en route the car rental agency.

There will of course be others along the way but as further away from town the more expensive they get.

If you stop at the grocery store "Spar" in Valldal they have lots of local produce (dried cured ham) (Tind is my favorite). The shop also have fresh warm bread and a lovely deli counter with warm dishes.

Have fun plotting and planning:)

Lars

Spar it will be. It sounds perfect.

I got these instuctions somewhere on this thread on how to get to the car rentals. Or I think that's what my notes were. Does this make sense on how to get from the cruise port to where Avis is?

As you exit the gate from the pier take a left and follow the road pass the hotel: Quality Hotel Waterfront (on your left)...Walk toward the shop "Maxbo" on your right....Continue to a Shell/7-11 patrol station on your right.

Its not more than a 5-10 minutes walk.

I know you have also mentioned seeing if they will bring the car to the pier. That may be a plan too, but just in case that didn't pan out, I wanted to make sure I had the directions correct.

Spar it will be. It sounds perfect.

I got these instuctions somewhere on this thread on how to get to the car rentals. Or I think that's what my notes were. Does this make sense on how to get from the cruise port to where Avis is?

As you exit the gate from the pier take a left and follow the road pass the hotel: Quality Hotel Waterfront (on your left)...Walk toward the shop "Maxbo" on your right....Continue to a Shell/7-11 patrol station on your right.

Its not more than a 5-10 minutes walk.

I know you have also mentioned seeing if they will bring the car to the pier. That may be a plan too, but just in case that didn't pan out, I wanted to make sure I had the directions correct.

Yes, that the instructions on how to get to Avis.

The road you should take is called "Nedre Strandgate".

I enclose a map.

Rutebilstasjonen is the buss terminal. You will be docked next to the terminal.

Walk over "Hellebroa" and onto Nedre Strandgate (This is the yellowish road in the map. Number E139) Follow the road to "Sunnmøre Tingrett".

Avis/7-11/Shell petrol stasjon is on the first floor of this grey brick building (The building is the court house and police station).

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund+rutebilstasjon,+%C3%85lesund/Sunnm%C3%B8re+tingrett,+Nedre+Strandgate+50,+6005+%C3%85lesund/@62.4705738,6.1473962,431m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da47802db34b:0x38dcb6621ccd5e56!2m2!1d6.15417!2d62.4705!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da3af8b094c3:0xc2a89452c591cc21!2m2!1d6.139281!2d62.470783!3e2

Lars,

I've eagerly been following all the great infomation you've posted for us foreign cruise passengers. Many thanks!

We'll be in Geiranger the morning of August 4 this year, and Hellesylt that afternoon. There are shore excursions offered by Oceania that go both ways....from G. to H, and from H to G. Do you have any suggestion as to which direction might be better, or does it even matter? I know that must seem like a dumb question but..... Both seem to offer the same sights, lunch and a hike. I assume we'll see the fjord well from the ship no matter which tour we pick?

Also, I have not found any private operators that offer this overland trip from one town to the next. Have you heard of any?

thanks in advance,

Larry

desertrat@herecomesthesun.me

Lars,

I've eagerly been following all the great infomation you've posted for us foreign cruise passengers. Many thanks!

We'll be in Geiranger the morning of August 4 this year, and Hellesylt that afternoon. There are shore excursions offered by Oceania that go both ways....from G. to H, and from H to G. Do you have any suggestion as to which direction might be better, or does it even matter? I know that must seem like a dumb question but..... Both seem to offer the same sights, lunch and a hike. I assume we'll see the fjord well from the ship no matter which tour we pick?

Also, I have not found any private operators that offer this overland trip from one town to the next. Have you heard of any?

thanks in advance,

Larry

desertrat@herecomesthesun.me

Hi Larry - It does not really matter which way you take the tour or sail in/out the Geirangerfjord as the scenery will be the same.

So the ship will stop twice in Hellesylt? I never heard that before as normally ships only offer the tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger. Very interesting:)

Geiranger Turbuss & Taxi is a company that offers private tours.

They seem to have two websites:

http://www.geirangerturbuss.no/nb-NO/Om-oss.aspx

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Default.aspx

info@geirangertaxi.no

Unfortunately there seem to be slim pickings when it comes to private tour operators in the area. I guess its because its ruled by a few;) Normally the tour companies sell their services to the cruise lines first. Then, if there is availability they will reply to special requests.

Lars:)

I wanted to give you all the heads up about another interesting tour options from Ålesund IF your ship stays in port the entire day.

From June 1 to August 31 you have the options of taking the Hurtigruten from Ålesund sailing to Geiranger.

There is the option of round trip with the ships (Ålesund - Geiranger - Ålesund)

or sail Ålesund to Geiranger then bus back to Ålesund.

The ships leaves daily from Ålesund at 09:30 am and arrives back in Ålesund at 6:15 pm.

If taking the bus back to Ålesund you will leave the ship in Geiranger at 1:30 pm take the bus from Geiranger at 4 pm and arrive back in Ålesund at 7 pm.

The price per person for round trip with the Hurtigruten is NOK 747,-

From September 1 to October 31 Hurtigruten cruises the Hjørundfjorden.

The ship leaves Ålesund at 9:30 am and arrives back in Ålesund at 5:15.

The price for this tour is NOK 536,- per person.

http://www.hurtigruten.com/us/?country=US

http://www.hurtigruten.com/no/

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Larry - It does not really matter which way you take the tour or sail in/out the Geirangerfjord as the scenery will be the same.

So the ship will stop twice in Hellesylt? I never heard that before as normally ships only offer the tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger. Very interesting:)

Geiranger Turbuss & Taxi is a company that offers private tours.

They seem to have two websites:

http://www.geirangerturbuss.no/nb-NO/Om-oss.aspx

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Default.aspx

info@geirangertaxi.no

Unfortunately there seem to be slim pickings when it comes to private tour operators in the area. I guess its because its ruled by a few;) Normally the tour companies sell their services to the cruise lines first. Then, if there is availability they will reply to special requests.

Lars:)

It is confusing on this end also. The ship is sched. to be in Geiranger from 7am-1pm and in Hellesylt from 3pm-5pm. The Geiranger tour is 8 hours, begins at 8am, ends in Hellesylt. The Hellesylt tour is 7.5 hours, begins at 3:30pm the same day and ends in Geiranger. I "assume" the ship will make the short trip from one village to the other and back? Trying to find out.

Larry

It is confusing on this end also. The ship is sched. to be in Geiranger from 7am-1pm and in Hellesylt from 3pm-5pm. The Geiranger tour is 8 hours, begins at 8am, ends in Hellesylt. The Hellesylt tour is 7.5 hours, begins at 3:30pm the same day and ends in Geiranger. I "assume" the ship will make the short trip from one village to the other and back? Trying to find out.

Larry

Normally Hellesylt is a drop off port for overland shore tours like the one you mention.

Hellesylt is at the beginning of the Geirangerfjord so it could be that the ship stops on its way in and out of the fjord.

I would think if the ship is due to stop in Hellesylt twice that day it would say in the schedule.

Also, since the ship is in Geiranger at 7am the port stop in Hellesylt had to be at approx. 4am-5am!!:eek: Somehow that sounds a bit to early for an overland tour:)

Normally Hellesylt is a drop off port for overland shore tours like the one you mention.

Hellesylt is at the beginning of the Geirangerfjord so it could be that the ship stops on its way in and out of the fjord.

I would think if the ship is due to stop in Hellesylt twice that day it would say in the schedule.

Also, since the ship is in Geiranger at 7am the port stop in Hellesylt had to be at approx. 4am-5am!!:eek: Somehow that sounds a bit to early for an overland tour:)

Lars, would you mind emailing me? desertrat@herecomesthesun.me

It might be easier, less confusing and less boring for others on this thread who are on other ships which seems to be the case. They don't have the same itinerary. I'll try to set things straight about our itinerary.

Thanks,

Larry

Lars, would you mind emailing me? desertrat@herecomesthesun.me

It might be easier, less confusing and less boring for others on this thread who are on other ships which seems to be the case. They don't have the same itinerary. I'll try to set things straight about our itinerary.

Thanks,

Larry

Just sent you a mail.

Lars

Hi Lars would you also be able to send the file to is as well?? Belly_jean@yahoo.com thank you very much for all of your information!! We are excited for our trip this fall.

Thank you again

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Lars I have just started reading your thread. could you please send me the file as well scotiafish@ns.sympatico.ca from Muriel

I posted the walking tour some pages back but as they are so popular I will post them again:

Explore Ålesund on foot…

Tour 1: Ålesund Guided walk

AALESUND MUSEUM (OPTIONAL )

A stroll through Ålesund reveals a town full of colourful and

beautiful architecture as well as strong maritime traditions. Enjoy

the charming pedestrian zone and the picturesque fishing

harbour Brosundet where the fishermen sell their catch directly

from their boats. See the panoramic view of the town from the

lower part of Mount Aksla. Experience the distinctive Art Nouveau

architecture; the town was devastated by a fire a winter’s

night in 1904, leaving 10.000 people homeless. During a period

of three years, the entire town centre was rebuilt in this unique

style with a myriad of turrets, spires and medieval ornaments.

TOUR DESCRIPTION

Guided walk through the town centre and the inner harbour.

Please note that the tour does not take the group all the way

up to the vantage point at Mount Aksla. Optional for this tour is

to include a visit to the town museum, Aalesunds Museum, that

gives a vivid insight into the history of Ålesund. The permanent

exhibitions are devoted to the great town fire in 1904, World War

II, as well as the development of the town as one of Norway’s

most prominent fishing- and shipping ports.

FIGURES & FACTS

Duration: 1,5 – 2 hours

Capacity: 20 pax per. guide

Season: All

Tour 2: Ålesund Guided walk &

The Art Nouveau Centre

In the great fire of 23 January 1904 the whole town of Ålesund

was destroyed, and between 1904–1907 a new town rose like

Bird Phoenix from the ashes. More than 400 houses were

designed by 50 Norwegian architects, strongly inspired by an

international influence of Art Nouveau and National Romanticism.

The town has a unique place in Norwegian architectural history.

Its international significance is confirmed through participation

in a European network of Art Nouveau cities including Glasgow,

Vienna, Barcelona, Brussels and Riga.

Visit the National Art Nouveau Centre located in a beautiful

building from this period. Enjoy “The Time Machine” that takes

you back to the great fire in 1904. Through a multi media show

it gives you a direct insight into the dramatic happening that

stormy winter night. Informative and entertaining!

TOUR DESCRIPTION

Guided walk through the town centre, the inner harbour and the

town park. The tour includes a visit to the Art Nouveau Centre.

Coffee & cakes are available at the Art Nouveau Centre.

FIGURES & FACTS

Duration: 2,5 hours, 3 hours including coffee & cakes

Capacity: 15 pax per. guide

Season: All year

Note: Walking tour

Visit to the ART NOUVEAU CENTRE included.

TOUR 3: H KING THE SUGARLUMP MOUNTAIN

(SUKKER TOPPEN)

Admire the spectacular views from the peak of the Sukkertoppen

Mountain. The impressive sight of the town with a never ending

range of majestic snowcapped peaks in the background is just

unforgetable! Opposite you can enjoy the magnificent view of

the islands stretcing out into the Atlantic Ocean. Quite a contrast

– and well worth the climb!

TOUR DESCRIPTION

The tour starts with a short coach ride from the town centre

to the starting point of the hike, Hessa, approx. 4 km from the

town.

The hike goes on a small and narrow pathway along a ridge of

the mountain, Sukkertoppen. The hike to the peak of the mountain

takes approx. 1 hour. Coffee and cakes at the vantage point

before descending down from the mountain. The guide will carry

a thermos flask of coffee – the participants will carry their own

snack/cake. The guide will bring along a first-aid kit. Return to

the pier by coach.

FIGURES & FACTS

Duration: 3 hours

Capacity: 20 pax per. guide

Season: Summer

Note: Walking will incl. uneven and sometimes steep terrain

and can at times be wet in certain areas. Windbreaker

recommended. Good shoes required

Lars, This one may be a tougher one for you to answer, but thought I would at least try.

When going to Norway, people say you must see at least one Stave Church. I know there is suppose to be one a bit off the Troll Road that we plan to be taking (Rodven Stave Church) but wonder if that is too far off the beaten track and would risk missing the ship. Are there any others around in the area that would be worth considering?

And if this isn't the cruise port you would recommend searching one out, is there a different port? I know that Bergen has one not far but since it had been burned down in the 1990's, it had to be rebuilt and I've heard that if you have seen others, this one would disappoint, which is why I will keep that one on the back burner and keep looking. In Trondheim they talk about a replica in a museum but again, still weighing options. Any input on this one?

Lars, This one may be a tougher one for you to answer, but thought I would at least try.

When going to Norway, people say you must see at least one Stave Church. I know there is suppose to be one a bit off the Troll Road that we plan to be taking (Rodven Stave Church) but wonder if that is too far off the beaten track and would risk missing the ship. Are there any others around in the area that would be worth considering?

And if this isn't the cruise port you would recommend searching one out, is there a different port? I know that Bergen has one not far but since it had been burned down in the 1990's, it had to be rebuilt and I've heard that if you have seen others, this one would disappoint, which is why I will keep that one on the back burner and keep looking. In Trondheim they talk about a replica in a museum but again, still weighing options. Any input on this one?

I was wondering the same thing. After a web search for photos, I'm pretty impressed by the Bergen Stave Church (in spite of the fact it's rebuilt). It is definitley on my list, if it's at all feasible to get there.

Edited by sippican

Rødven Stav Church is a 50 minute drive from Trollstigen or a 30 minutes from Åndalsnes.

It might be a bit out of the way if you are pushed for time.

Here is a link to the road map from

Trollstigen to the Stav Church

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Trollstigen,+6300/R%C3%B8dven+Stavkirke,+Eidsbygda/@62.5428699,7.4900075,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x46140e70c1e7a8af:0xcc14b0e753396f9e!2m2!1d7.6703534!2d62.459954!1m5!1m1!1s0x4614077fb6456d75:0x6245210cb016f0c!2m2!1d7.493743!2d62.624179

I am not sure about your itinerary but if you top in Molde the drive to the church is 1.20 hrs one way.

There is a stav church in a village called Lom but its over 2 hrs drive one way from either Geiranger or Olden.

One of the best preserved churches in Norway is Borgund stav church. The church is situated a 50 minutes drive one way from Flåm.

I am not sure if any of these churches are within your reach or itinerary.

There is another church close to Flåm

I was wondering the same thing. After a web search for photos, I'm pretty impressed by the Bergen Stave Church (in spite of the fact it's rebuilt). It is definitley on my list, if it's at all feasible to get there.

Obviously I haven't been there, but have been working on pulling all my ports together so yes, I'd copied down directions on how to get to Fantoft Stave Church, just outside Bergen. I was told that the light rail is right next to Central Station in Bergen. Bergen Light Rail to Fantoft or Paradis. Fantoft: By Safari supermarked there is a sign pointing to the Stave Church. Paradis: Walk up Birkelundsbakken hill to the parking lot on the left side. A small, steep path leads to the Stave Church from there.

I hope that helps.

Rødven Stav Church is a 50 minute drive from Trollstigen or a 30 minutes from Åndalsnes.

It might be a bit out of the way if you are pushed for time.

Here is a link to the road map from

Trollstigen to the Stav Church

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Trollstigen,+6300/R%C3%B8dven+Stavkirke,+Eidsbygda/@62.5428699,7.4900075,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x46140e70c1e7a8af:0xcc14b0e753396f9e!2m2!1d7.6703534!2d62.459954!1m5!1m1!1s0x4614077fb6456d75:0x6245210cb016f0c!2m2!1d7.493743!2d62.624179

I am not sure about your itinerary but if you top in Molde the drive to the church is 1.20 hrs one way.

There is a stav church in a village called Lom but its over 2 hrs drive one way from either Geiranger or Olden.

One of the best preserved churches in Norway is Borgund stav church. The church is situated a 50 minutes drive one way from Flåm.

I am not sure if any of these churches are within your reach or itinerary.

There is another church close to Flåm

I'll dig around these more in detail tomorrow when I have more time. I really wish I could do the one from Flam, but I have a RIB booked for the morning we are there and then the Train for the afternoon. So just no place to fit it in. But that would be the ideal path.

As far as Rodven....if we find we are making ok time, is this one worth the trip? Or would you just focus on the one in Bergen. I know, that is an "opinion" question for you. :-)

I'll dig around these more in detail tomorrow when I have more time. I really wish I could do the one from Flam, but I have a RIB booked for the morning we are there and then the Train for the afternoon. So just no place to fit it in. But that would be the ideal path.

As far as Rodven....if we find we are making ok time, is this one worth the trip? Or would you just focus on the one in Bergen. I know, that is an "opinion" question for you. :-)

If you really want to see a stav church then ️its worth going to see the one in Rødven or the one outside Flåm.

The one outside Bergen is also ok to visit. But it is a replica. To me that like going to Vegas to see the Grand Canal in Venice.[emoji4]

Lars, Do all the ferries take credit cards? Or will we need to have cash? You may have mentioned this, but I couldn't find that post.

thanks

Yes, you can use credit cards on the ferry. i suppose you have one with a pin?

I was lucky enough, last year, to visit both Rodven (from Åndalsness) and Fantoft (from Bergen). Rodven is more a chapel than a church. This chapel is totally authentic (never been moved, when a lot a stave churches have been) and the only one on a shore : nice surroundings, charming stave chapel but a little bit small and simple to be "the only one to see". In my opinion, although rebuilt, Fantoft is a marvel : in the heart of the forest, with those carved dragons'heads on the roof, the place is simply magic. Yes, it has been rebuilt and I understand it matters for some people, but, after all, St Petersburg palaces have been largely rebuilt after WWII and the amber room is not authentic, is it a reason to skip the visit? And, being french, I can tell you (in secret, of course, don't repeat it) the Eiffel tower is no more the one she used to be during the19th century : they have to change pieces every year!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

Yes, you can use credit cards on the ferry. i suppose you have one with a pin?

We have a American Express that has a chip, not sure if we have a pin number to go with it...will need to check.

One more question. Any suggestions for fjord fishing in Geiranger? I have seen some advertised for a couple hours.... Would that amount of time be worth it? Any company that you would suggest?

Thanks again..your help is invaluable.

Obviously I haven't been there, but have been working on pulling all my ports together so yes, I'd copied down directions on how to get to Fantoft Stave Church, just outside Bergen. I was told that the light rail is right next to Central Station in Bergen. Bergen Light Rail to Fantoft or Paradis. Fantoft: By Safari supermarked there is a sign pointing to the Stave Church. Paradis: Walk up Birkelundsbakken hill to the parking lot on the left side. A small, steep path leads to the Stave Church from there.

I hope that helps.

Yes, thank you. Post #29 in the Bergen Thread is very helpful also.

I was lucky enough, last year, to visit both Rodven (from Åndalsness) and Fantoft (from Bergen). Rodven is more a chapel than a church. This chapel is totally authentic (never been moved, when a lot a stave churches have been) and the only one on a shore : nice surroundings, charming stave chapel but a little bit small and simple to be "the only one to see". In my opinion, although rebuilt, Fantoft is a marvel : in the heart of the forest, with those carved dragons'heads on the roof, the place is simply magic. Yes, it has been rebuilt and I understand it matters for some people, but, after all, St Petersburg palaces have been largely rebuilt after WWII and the amber room is not authentic, is it a reason to skip the visit? And, being french, I can tell you (in secret, of course, don't repeat it) the Eiffel tower is no more the one she used to be during the19th century : they have to change pieces every year!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

Agree completely. Having traveled to a number of places in Europe and the Baltics, one begins to realize that much of what we see is "restored, recreated, rebuilt, etc". Of course the "real" thing is always preferred, but we have not been disappointed by those sites faithfully restored or rebuilt. (The St Petersburg area is an excellent example - not only the palace, but the churches, museums, etc.)

We have a American Express that has a chip, not sure if we have a pin number to go with it...will need to check.

One more question. Any suggestions for fjord fishing in Geiranger? I have seen some advertised for a couple hours.... Would that amount of time be worth it? Any company that you would suggest?

Thanks again..your help is invaluable.

You will be able to use it when you have the pin. A pin code is normally very easy to get.

I have been fishing in the fjord a few times and never caught anything:) Probably just my luck:D

For sure it will make for a very tranquil and serene experiance since the boats only take up to 12 persons.

The boat will take you very up close to the shores and the waterfalls. The fishing route is the same as your cruise ship will take in/out the fjord.

There is a guide onboard who will tell you all about the life along the fjord in past. The guide will also tell you about the farms dotted along the fjord.

If you are lucky and catch some fish they can make you a bbq after.

If you have a few hours to spare after doing the major sites then I would suggest you go for the tour.