Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi, I was wondering what your suggestion would be for what to wear for kayaking on Geraingerfjord in about 10 days time please?

I'm thinking a pair of swim shorts may not be quite warm enough! :eek:

Hi, I was wondering what your suggestion would be for what to wear for kayaking on Geraingerfjord in about 10 days time please?

I'm thinking a pair of swim shorts may not be quite warm enough! :eek:

If you booked with Active Geiranger they say they will provide clothes for kayaking.

What clothes do you normally wear when kayaking?

I am thinking light wool products/undergarments....light rainwear/windbreakers both for the upper and the lower body...Probably some fleece/wool in between those layers.

I would dress in layers in case it should warm up.

I would be prepared for cold and rain. A sunny day seems do be a novelty this summer.

Thank you for that.

How is the weather looking for the next week or so please?

The long term forecast looks like rain and cloudy with some sun in-between.

The temperature in the 10C-15C region.

We have had a dreadful summer so far this year. The people in the know (:D..yeah right) says it will be much better by mid July....

I am not holding my breath.

We drove to Geiranger via Mt. Dalsnibba and Djupvasshytta lodge yesterday.

I will post photos later today.

It was meters and meters of snow. The lake was covered in ice and snow - Usually the snow and ice is all melted by the end of June,

It was full winter up at 1000 meters above sea level. It sure makes for some good pictures:-)

Edited by I-Cruiser

There are lots of questions about how to get to the glacier from Olden.

Yesterday we drove to Stryn - Olden - Briksdal - Geiranger. Here are some info and lots of pictures from our day out.

The glacier is 16 kilometers from Olden.

From where the bus stops at the Kjendalsstova lodge to the glacier its 3 kilometers.

You can either walk or take the Troll shuttle (price NOK 200 pp roundtrip)

You can choose the Glacier Shuttle bus at NOK 350 per person. This is round trip and includes 2 hrs in Briksdal for the glacier. Total tour time 3 hrs.

This is more then adequate time to see the glacier.

You can also do the Glacier taxi. This is a 8-10 seater van. I could not get prices as the area was very crowded yesterday.

You can also do a tour on the open top "glacier sithseeing". This is an open top bus with glacier photostop by lake Olden. It does not go to the glacier.

The price is NOK 200 pp.

You can rent bikes at NOK 50 pr hr.

There is also a tourist train showing the sights along Olden, the Olden lake and Olden valley.

All tickets for the bus options can be purchased at the pier or in the tourist office located the same place.

You can not miss the building that houses the tourist office on the ground floor and cafe on the first floor. The facility offer free Wifi.

There is also a regular bus schedule with lots of options for stops. I must say in the 3 hrs we where in the area I never saw one passing by.

2015-06-25%2011.18.33_zpsayd3agkg.jpg

2015-06-25%2011.14.47_zps4bwyeg8z.jpg

The tourist office/cafe is in the white wooden house. The entrance at the front.

2015-06-25%2011.25.55_zpsloq8bxag.jpg

From where the Troll car stops you have to walk the last few hundred meters.

There is a path but its rocky and uneven at a times.

2015-06-25%2013.14.12_zpsy4qcoqpy.jpg

2015-06-25%2013.22.38_zpsqzjkecg8.jpg

The glacier:

2015-06-25%2013.24.42_zpsxnm8w6us.jpg

I was really surprised how much it had retracted in a relatively short period of time.

2015-06-25%2013.24.46_zps4hftvns2.jpg

2015-06-25%2013.24.56_zpsndrbabax.jpg

Thanks I-cruiser for all the info and the updated photos. Even though we are not coming till next year - makes me rethink my packing list. It looks cold for those of us down under. It's winter here and temp is about 20 degrees.

Thanks I-cruiser for all the info and the updated photos. Even though we are not coming till next year - makes me rethink my packing list. It looks cold for those of us down under. It's winter here and temp is about 20 degrees.

You are very much welcome:)

It has been a very cold and wet summer. Normally the temps are from 12C to 16C with days up to 20C.

Even on a wonderful day like today when we have sunshine and lovely blue skies the air is cold.

The temps in the mountain was approx. 5C. At 1500 meter above sea level as much as down to -3.

I would suggest dress in layers. Bring t-shirts and a shorts (just in case:D)

Dear Lars,

We are on the coach right now from Southampton to London and are enjoying free Wifi for the first time in 15 days. We just completed our cruise to the North Cape and loved, loved, loved Norway! I really wanted to take the first opportunity I had to thank you for your tireless work on this forum. Your help is priceless! We had wonderful days in port and did a lot of hiking including Pulpit Rock and Reinebriggen in the Lofoten as well as DIY drives to Geiranger from Andalsnes and Oye from Alesund. We could not have achieved any of this without your input.

You are the best!!

Regards

Petra

Dear Lars,

We are on the coach right now from Southampton to London and are enjoying free Wifi for the first time in 15 days. We just completed our cruise to the North Cape and loved, loved, loved Norway! I really wanted to take the first opportunity I had to thank you for your tireless work on this forum. Your help is priceless! We had wonderful days in port and did a lot of hiking including Pulpit Rock and Reinebriggen in the Lofoten as well as DIY drives to Geiranger from Andalsnes and Oye from Alesund. We could not have achieved any of this without your input.

You are the best!!

Regards

Petra

Petra - thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words.

I am thrilled you had such a Lovely experience.

Guess where we are right now[emoji4]en route Trollstigen[emoji106]

Forgot to say; would love to hear about your drive to Øye.

We are sitting at the foot of the Trollveggen mountain.

️Its so makestic. The weather is Stunning today.

Pix to follow[emoji106]

The drive was great! Loved the quirky hotel. Will post a day by day picture review as soon as we get home in about 10 days. Have a few more days here in London and then off to Iceland

Does anyone know if there are any bus tours operating from Alesund doing day tours of the Trollstigen Rd.? The Oceania tour is listed as 8 hrs. (including lunch). Just wondering if there are other possibilities. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if there are any bus tours operating from Alesund doing day tours of the Trollstigen Rd.? The Oceania tour is listed as 8 hrs. (including lunch). Just wondering if there are other possibilities. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately there is not. Other possibilities include car rental, taxi tour or try to arrange your own bus.

If you want to set up your own tour contact:

brit@turistbussen.no

Not many ships stop in Kristiansund so I doubt this has been asked before.:)

I know the tourist office used to rent out bikes.

Please contact the tourist office for prices and booking.

I know the price used to be NOK 200 for a day per person but this has probably changed.:)

E-post: info@visitnorthwest.no

The tourist office is located at:

Kongens plass 1

Here are some options for what to do in Kristiansund.

KIRKELANDET CHURCH (1964) - One of Norway's most unusual and modern church buildings.

Close to the church is the 200-year-old listed family burial site of the Brodtkorbs.

SVANEDAMMEN - Its a pond/lake with lots of various birds.

VARDEN - A lookout tower with a 360 panoramic view.

On a clear day you can see the islands of Averøy, Grip and Smøla. You can also see the fjord cutting into the land towards the Trollheimen and Dovre mountain ranges.

You can walk to "Vågen" where HANDELSHUSET P. VOLCKMAR is located. The Museum has a café and its own coffee roasting plant.

NORSK KLIPPFISKMUSEUM (the Norwegian Klippfish Museum) might be interesting as Kristiansund was a huge producer and export town of Klippfish.

I will highly recommend taking SUNDBÅTEN from "Piren" to the Town Hall. This quaint little passenger boat has 130 years of history.

You could disembark on INNLANDET for an idea of what Kristiansund was like before the bombing in 1940.

The tourist office will have maps and marked walking routes.

thank you for the replies, been busy getting ready leave today so will hopfully post what I got up to on return

Yesterday took us to Trollstigen and Trollveggen mountain.

Here are some pix from the daytour.

Trollveggen mountain:

FullSizeRender%2022_zpsurh97lud.jpg

2015-06-27%2011.54.29_zpsxwtgbear.jpg

FullSizeRender%2033_zps1mosrhj8.jpg

Northern Europes largest/tallest vertical mountain wall.

Edited by I-Cruiser