Balcony or Mini-Suite on Getaway

DRMizzou

We are considering the March 15th Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Getaway. We can book a BD balcony and get a free upgrade to BA or book a Family balcony and get a 4 upgrade to a mini-suite. Anyone have suggestions on which way to go? BA to can be on higher level; I think the mini-suites are on 9. Port or starboard? also, wondering if we should wait and see if price drops? Thanks!!

We are considering the March 15th Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Getaway. We can book a BD balcony and get a free upgrade to BA or book a Family balcony and get a 4 upgrade to a mini-suite. Anyone have suggestions on which way to go? BA to can be on higher level; I think the mini-suites are on 9. Port or starboard? also, wondering if we should wait and see if price drops? Thanks!!

On the Breakaway, we booked a standard balcony on deck 14. Balcony was 35sq. Ft. Very small.

About 2 months before our cruise, there was a price drop. I called and they offered an $85 OBC or get upgraded to a mini suite...deck 8.

The balcony was 107sq.ft. OMG...it was wonderful. And the shower....wow. 4 people could fit. The cabin itself was the same size as the standard cabins. LOVED THIS CABIN:):):)

On the Breakaway, we booked a standard balcony on deck 14. Balcony was 35sq. Ft. Very small.

About 2 months before our cruise, there was a price drop. I called and they offered an $85 OBC or get upgraded to a mini suite...deck 8.

The balcony was 107sq.ft. OMG...it was wonderful. And the shower....wow. 4 people could fit. The cabin itself was the same size as the standard cabins. LOVED THIS CABIN:):):)

Do you, by chance, remember your cabin number or the category? Just wondering if all mini-suite balcony sizes are the same or not. Did appear that the bathroom/shower was quite a bit larger in the mini-suites. Thanks for the info!

Are these the balconies, though, that are "on display" to everyone? Or are they private?

The getaway is the sister to the breakaway which we sailed on. Yes the cabins are small and so are most balconies, however there are several that are large enough to put 1 lounger on. We were on deck 12 near the elevators mid-ship and got the cabin where the ship has a bump-out. I think it was cabin 12228, but if you look at the deck plans you will note where the deck bumps out. It was a great location with ease to the elevator, and easy access to all activities. Even though it is a large ship we never tired from too long a walk. We did luck into it with an upgrade from an inside when there was a price drop for a few bucks more and to be honest it has us spoiled.;) I'd say book now and if you see a pricedrop call your TA and see what they can do for you.:D

The getaway is the sister to the breakaway which we sailed on. Yes the cabins are small and so are most balconies, however there are several that are large enough to put 1 lounger on. We were on deck 12 near the elevators mid-ship and got the cabin where the ship has a bump-out. I think it was cabin 12228, but if you look at the deck plans you will note where the deck bumps out. It was a great location with ease to the elevator, and easy access to all activities. Even though it is a large ship we never tired from too long a walk. We did luck into it with an upgrade from an inside when there was a price drop for a few bucks more and to be honest it has us spoiled.;) I'd say book now and if you see a pricedrop call your TA and see what they can do for you.:D

After further research, the large balconies on Deck 8 that Champagne123 mentioned appear to be category MX which are shown as "sold out" on NCL's site and do not even appear on some of the other travel sites. It could be that NCL holds some of these and releases later; but it appears that most of the mini-suite balconies are about the same small size as regular balcony cabins. That said, the larger overall size makes me lean toward a mini-suite. I think one that is available is 9228; so I wonder if it is a "bump out" like you mentioned. Thanks for the info!

After further research, the large balconies on Deck 8 that Champagne123 mentioned appear to be category MX which are shown as "sold out" on NCL's site and do not even appear on some of the other travel sites. It could be that NCL holds some of these and releases later; but it appears that most of the mini-suite balconies are about the same small size as regular balcony cabins. That said, the larger overall size makes me lean toward a mini-suite. I think one that is available is 9228; so I wonder if it is a "bump out" like you mentioned. Thanks for the info!

No that is not a bumpout. Most mini's have the same size balcony as the regular balconies, but the room was bigger, with a bigger bathroom and jetted shower. I have pictures of a minisuite on the Breakaway in my review.

I booked a family balcony (deck 12) back in July and just upgraded to the mini suite on deck 9. Kinda wished I did research before changing rooms. but it was offered to me during a phone call and I heard the word "suite" and said yes too quickly.

After doing some research....

The only difference I see in the room is the bathroom. Balcony and room are exactly the same. Bathroom has double sinks, a tad more floor space and a larger shower.

I chose deck 12 originally because of the location to the kids club. Now I am on deck 9, not too far away, but over the theatre! With 2 shows nightly, Im not sure I made a wise decision! Good part is the theatre is unoccupied in the morning! Also, the mini suite balcony is above the "boardwalk" area (I forget real name for it, but outdoor dining and shops)

It is what it is...Im not changing again. Cant complain as I have no idea how good or bad it will be! Lesson learned though to not say "Yes" too quickly!

I booked a family balcony (deck 12) back in July and just upgraded to the mini suite on deck 9. Kinda wished I did research before changing rooms. but it was offered to me during a phone call and I heard the word "suite" and said yes too quickly.

After doing some research....

The only difference I see in the room is the bathroom. Balcony and room are exactly the same. Bathroom has double sinks, a tad more floor space and a larger shower.

I chose deck 12 originally because of the location to the kids club. Now I am on deck 9, not too far away, but over the theatre! With 2 shows nightly, Im not sure I made a wise decision! Good part is the theatre is unoccupied in the morning! Also, the mini suite balcony is above the "boardwalk" area (I forget real name for it, but outdoor dining and shops)

It is what it is...Im not changing again. Cant complain as I have no idea how good or bad it will be! Lesson learned though to not say "Yes" too quickly!

Well, we did take the upgrade to the Deck 9 mini-suite (9204). It is located above the Waterfront (specifically the Italian specialty restaurant) so hopefully there will not be much noise and that it would be confined to dinner times (if at all). The small amount of fare increase over a regular balcony cabin seemed worth it. Looking forward to our March 15th cruise!!

Well, we did take the upgrade to the Deck 9 mini-suite (9204). It is located above the Waterfront (specifically the Italian specialty restaurant) so hopefully there will not be much noise and that it would be confined to dinner times (if at all). The small amount of fare increase over a regular balcony cabin seemed worth it. Looking forward to our March 15th cruise!!

Bear in mind that if you are above the Waterfront, then the roof area of the Waterfront will be immediately in front of your balcony. When we realised that, it was one of the reasons that we rebooked for a M6 on deck 8 (Breakaway, not Getaway)

Mini Suites are on decks 8,9,10,11,13, and 14. The family mini suites are deck 12 and those have a bathtub. The Mini Suites with the Large Balcony are category M6 on deck 8. The M6 balconies are half covered and half exposed and also at the forward of the ship.

The real difference between a standard balcony and a mini suite is the bathroom. Does a double sink and large jetted shower interest you? If yes, the mini suite is the way to go. If you want a smaller shower and single sink then go with a balcony. I personally loved the huge shower and double sink when I had a mini suite on the Breakaway and I booked another mini suite on the Getaway.

Mini Suites are on decks 8,9,10,11,13, and 14. The family mini suites are deck 12 and those have a bathtub. The Mini Suites with the Large Balcony are category M6 on deck 8. The M6 balconies are half covered and half exposed and also at the forward of the ship.

The real difference between a standard balcony and a mini suite is the bathroom. Does a double sink and large jetted shower interest you? If yes, the mini suite is the way to go. If you want a smaller shower and single sink then go with a balcony. I personally loved the huge shower and double sink when I had a mini suite on the Breakaway and I booked another mini suite on the Getaway.

We ultimately booked the mini-suite for the reasons you have stated. As Tony Stanton pointed out, it does have the Waterfront roof just below; but we decided to go with the mini-suite on Deck 9 anyway. Thanks for all the great responses!

We ultimately booked the mini-suite for the reasons you have stated. As Tony Stanton pointed out, it does have the Waterfront roof just below; but we decided to go with the mini-suite on Deck 9 anyway. Thanks for all the great responses!

You will have a great time and if you want to upset Security you can always go for a walk along the roof of the Waterfront:eek::eek::eek:

P1050799.JPG

You will have a great time and if you want to upset Security you can always go for a walk along the roof of the Waterfront:eek::eek::eek:

P1050799.JPG

I think I will refrain from such a venture; although I could see how long it takes my wife to catch on when I suggest a "walk along the Waterfront".

• 8 months later...

Just off of the Getaway in a minisuite and loved it. The bathroom is very nice in the minisites with the large sink and room to move around. There is a bathtub in the family minisuites if that is important to you.

The other diffrence is the bed size queen in balcony and king in minisuites.

Just off of the Getaway in a minisuite and loved it. The bathroom is very nice in the minisites with the large sink and room to move around. There is a bathtub in the family minisuites if that is important to you.

The other diffrence is the bed size queen in balcony and king in minisuites.

Hi, by any chance were you in an aft mini-suite? We have one booked and I wanted to make sure I made a good choice. We are new to NCL. :D