The case of the missing Midnight Chocolate Buffet

VirginCruiser II

They were the same at the last senior officers party I attended as well, just stood in a group among themselves and ignored "their guests". This party was at 11.30 in the morning(!) which meant most of the guests came to the party without eating anything. Everyone got very drunk very quickly and a lot of people told the senior staff how rude they were as they tottered back to their rooms at the end.

That doesn't exactly speak well for the passengers being "polite invited guests" either. Wouldn't they have had their breakfast?

They were the same at the last senior officers party I attended as well, just stood in a group among themselves and ignored "their guests". This party was at 11.30 in the morning(!) which meant most of the guests came to the party without eating anything. Everyone got very drunk very quickly and a lot of people told the senior staff how rude they were as they tottered back to their rooms at the end.

They never used to be like this, on the QE last time they all joined in and formed small groups and it was in the evening as well, I am not keen on the morning ones, too early for me.

On this party i was not feeling 100% but it was before dinner so we went along, we decided too sit and pleased we did, it was quite odd to watch them, as I said one or two moved and started to chat but most just stood there and chatted to them selves,

That doesn't exactly speak well for the passengers being "polite invited guests" either. Wouldn't they have had their breakfast?

I hate those 11.30 am Senior Officers' Parties. Thankfully on our 3rd January crossing it was held at 7.45 pm. But again, more cutbacks: just cheap looking little nibbles being handed round. What has happened to the wonderful buffet bar where they served you with freshly cut smoked salmon and king prawns?

As for the wine tasting we haven't bothered with that for a long time now. Between each tasting they used to give us really nice nibbles with caviar, melon, grapes, cheese, etc. Now just dried up French bread and cubes of cheddar cheese. How they have the nerve to ask $39.95 for non-members to join in with us for the tastings is a joke.

Before anybody flames me for being petty and ungrateful, I am disappointed and indignant and rightly so. We have spent a huge amount of money staying loyal to Cunard over the years to reach Diamond status waiting to enjoy all the benefits which used to be on offer. Gradually, bit by bit, everything that always seemed to make Cunard so special has been chipped away leaving them, IMHO, no better than any other cruise line.

Is it any wonder people seem to be leaving in droves.

I hate those 11.30 am Senior Officers' Parties. Thankfully on our 3rd January crossing it was held at 7.45 pm. But again, more cutbacks: just cheap looking little nibbles being handed round. What has happened to the wonderful buffet bar where they served you with freshly cut smoked salmon and king prawns?

As for the wine tasting we haven't bothered with that for a long time now. Between each tasting they used to give us really nice nibbles with caviar, melon, grapes, cheese, etc. Now just dried up French bread and cubes of cheddar cheese. How they have the nerve to ask $39.95 for non-members to join in with us for the tastings is a joke.

Before anybody flames me for being petty and ungrateful, I am disappointed and indignant and rightly so. We have spent a huge amount of money staying loyal to Cunard over the years to reach Diamond status waiting to enjoy all the benefits which used to be on offer. Gradually, bit by bit, everything that always seemed to make Cunard so special has been chipped away leaving them, IMHO, no better than any other cruise line.

Is it any wonder people seem to be leaving in droves.

Hear Hear. I used to have an affection and loyalty to Cunard but not any more. Now they are just a company that provides me with a cruise. I know from experience that I can't expect them to go "that extra mile" if needed or to be loyal to me as a long standing customer. And I don't regard myself as "an invited guest" at the Senior Officers Party, it's something that I have paid to attend, it's nothing special.

Hear Hear. I used to have an affection and loyalty to Cunard but not any more. Now they are just a company that provides me with a cruise. I know from experience that I can't expect them to go "that extra mile" if needed or to be loyal to me as a long standing customer. And I don't regard myself as "an invited guest" at the Senior Officers Party, it's something that I have paid to attend, it's nothing special.
Well I certainly wouldn't book again if I felt this way, there are many other ships out there. I wouldn't be one of those who complain endlessly on here... but then book Cunard again, voyage after voyage, year after year. After such treatment, Cunard would never get my money again. I'd vote with my feet. No more Cunard for me, if I felt this way. Enough is enough.

Good luck for the future, whichever line you choose to cruise with next, I hope you really enjoy yourself.

Edited by pepperrn

Well I certainly wouldn't book again if I felt this way, there are many other ships out there. I wouldn't be one of those who complain endlessly on here... but then book Cunard again, voyage after voyage, year after year. After such treatment, Cunard would never get my money again. I'd vote with my feet. No more Cunard for me, if I felt this way. Enough is enough.

Good luck for the future, whichever line you choose to cruise with next, I hope you really enjoy yourself.

You have missed my point entirely.

Quite missed the point id say.

Im happy to book Cunard and have done many times and will continue , we have plans for 3 TAs later this year.

However, I am happy to make known rudeness and point out mistakes etc, Cunard need to know so they put these things right and make the whole experience better, but I am also happy to try other lines as well, this makes makes you understand where Cunard either gets it right as it mostly does or indeed gets it wrong:)

Agree:)

Robin, I do understand your point. I don't care for noontime cocktail parties either and have never attended one.

We recently sailed with RCL, 14 day T/A, after not having sailed with them for 6 years. I was quite impressed with their loyalty program. They offer free cocktails with impressive heavy hors devours from 5:30 til 8:30..... presumably, an hours worth before first and second seating. We did at times, stop for a cocktail before going to the cabin to dress for dinner. That practice wasn't allowed for many because you had to be properly dressed. My daytime outfits were totally appropriate as evening attire.....so I was always welcomed. We truly enjoyed being treated so graciously.

On the other hand.....the RCL board is filled with people telling others to "wear whatever you want, nobody cares". RCL has no choice now but to accommodate really badly dressed people.

So, I guess you just have to pick your battles. :rolleyes:

Robin, I do understand your point. I don't care for noontime cocktail parties either and have never attended one.

We recently sailed with RCL, 14 day T/A, after not having sailed with them for 6 years. I was quite impressed with their loyalty program. They offer free cocktails with impressive heavy hors devours from 5:30 til 8:30..... presumably, an hours worth before first and second seating. We did at times, stop for a cocktail before going to the cabin to dress for dinner. That practice wasn't allowed for many because you had to be properly dressed. My daytime outfits were totally appropriate as evening attire.....so I was always welcomed. We truly enjoyed being treated so graciously.

On the other hand.....the RCL board is filled with people telling others to "wear whatever you want, nobody cares". RCL has no choice now but to accommodate really badly dressed people.

So, I guess you just have to pick your battles. :rolleyes:

Your right, RCCL does have an amazing loyalty programe , one of the best I would say, i love the Diamond lounge . and yes they do allow people to wear almost what they wish.

Cunard is still number one for the dress, passengers and space etc, there are just a few small things that seem to have changed and really if put right would make it 100% :)

Could be worse, NCL

I am so sorry for missing your point entitely, my fault I'm sure. Please explain in detail so I can understand, thank you.

(I do beg your forgiveness, I thought you were unhappy with Cunard, but I am so obviously wrong, and so very sorry. I only commented because; if I was so unhappy about something/service as to complain about it on a public forum, to all and sundry, I'd be certain to never use the service again. But maybe that's just me, and you're more forgiving, and will keep spending your money and booking again, I wish I was so understanding, well done you).

All best wishes for your future voyages.

Edited by pepperrn

Perhaps it is also a question of "Hobsons choice"

For instance, I am a stickler for dressing formal for dinner, so only choice is Cunard (maybe Crystal)

Limited in amount of lying , so again confined really to a 2/3 hour flight - Florida to New York city, so again little choice except Cunard

Love sea days, can only walk short distance, so its Transatlantic, again only choice is Cunard.

Like assigned seating at table for 6-8 for dinner, do not like open seating for dinner so again choice is limited

Enjoy lectures, so again limited in choice of ships

Under the circumstances, it is a "devil you know" (Cunard) even if sometimes you have had a bad experience, It is cruise -Cunard or stay home.

It is unfortunate that at my age I can remember when a passenger really was regarded as being a "special" instead of just a "number on a piece of paper"

It is unfortunate that at my age I can remember when a passenger really was regarded as being a "special" instead of just a "number on a piece of paper"

Many of us hope that your particular number will always be "1".

For instance, I am a stickler for dressing formal for dinner, so only choice is Cunard (maybe Crystal)

Limited in amount of lying , so again confined really to a 2/3 hour flight - Florida to New York city, so again little choice except Cunard

Love sea days, can only walk short distance, so its Transatlantic, again only choice is Cunard.

Like assigned seating at table for 6-8 for dinner, do not like open seating for dinner so again choice is limited

Under the circumstances, it is a "devil you know" (Cunard) even if sometimes you have had a bad experience, It is cruise -Cunard or stay home.

Absolutely.

Quite agree

Another example of the "don't care" attitude now so prevalent on board unfortunately. 10 years of regular crossings and a marked deterioration in quality. This was the day before the disembarkation procedures were published for "arrival in NYC" on this eastbound crossing.

oops no proof reader again This is the arrival into NYC on West Bound start of World Voyage

IMG_3042.jpg.eeb3010e8dec5e5291551258113eab29.jpg

Proofreading and quality of original content on Cunard's web page, daily schedule, and even around the ship are all suffering.

What I was saying was that they had published the disembarkation information for an arrival into New York, when we were in fact one day away from arriving in Southampton. Sadly, this sloppiness is not unexpected anymore.