Did you miss your sailing due to your flight being cancelled

Dorene1

I always fly in the day before and early the day before so I can enjoy Miami for a day before I embark so I've never missed

However, with this cold weather we've had flights were cancelled from the Toronto airport for 2 days and there was a backlog for another day so if we had been going last week we may have been unable to fly for several days.

I always fly in the day before and early the day before so I can enjoy Miami for a day before I embark so I've never missed

However, with this cold weather we've had flights were cancelled from the Toronto airport for 2 days and there was a backlog for another day so if we had been going last week we may have been unable to fly for several days.

True. The theory of flying in a day ahead doesn't always work. Not a normal occurance, but that weather makes one say never say never.

We always fly in a day before. When we cruise in winter months (Dec/Feb.) I begin checking the weather a week before. We have had delays, but have always gotten down to Florida in time for our cruises. I literally have cold sweats if I hear there is bad weather the day we fly. Here in NY, if someone spits on the runway it can cause a delay!!

This year we are flying in two days before we sail, being January in Wisconsin, did not want to take any chances, altho there is always the chance that it could happen! keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well! Only two more weeks!!

If my day before flight were to get delayed more than one day, at least I would have time to drive.

I agree, but let's say people reside in the Midwest or upper Mid-Atlantic or New England, and are taking a winter cruise that departs from southern Florida. If a massive snowstorm strikes and snarls air and road traffic for 24+ hours, it could dissolve one's 1-day cushion and, at a minimum, would make one's mad dash to Florida by car a really unpleasant, nerve-jangling experience. Clearly, there is no perfect solution, but cruising without travel insurance in winter strikes me as a huge roll of the dice. To me, it makes sense to build an extra 2-day vacation at the front of the trip, which gives one an extra cushion.

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

I am a firm believer of flying in the day before but the weather we just experienced this past week even caused problems for the day before people too. I talked to some people in the Tampa airport over new years that were scheduled to arrive 2 days before there cruise. Due to the weather issues they still missed their cruise and were stuck in Tampa trying to get back home due to the heavy backlog of flights that were cancelled or delayed.

I agree, but let's say people reside in the Midwest or upper Mid-Atlantic or New England, and are taking a winter cruise that departs from southern Florida. If a massive snowstorm strikes and snarls air and road traffic for 24+ hours, it could dissolve one's 1-day cushion and, at a minimum, would make one's mad dash to Florida by car a really unpleasant, nerve-jangling experience. Clearly, there is no perfect solution, but cruising without travel insurance in winter strikes me as a huge roll of the dice. To me, it makes sense to build an extra 2-day vacation at the front of the trip, which gives one an extra cushion.

I am in the Midwest. Obviously, roads being closed would be an issue. Typically, in January, we fly down on Friday, cruise on Sunday and fly home immediately after. This time, we're flying down on Friday, cruising on Saturday, cruise ends Saturday and flying home on Sunday.

It would be a stressful drive for sure but it is a back up plan.

, but cruising without travel insurance in winter strikes me as a huge roll of the dice. To me, it makes sense to build an extra 2-day vacation at the front of the trip, which gives one an extra cushion.

Huge roll of the dice? Odds are you will win when you roll the dice on this one. That is how the insurance companies make money. They pay out less then they take in.

One has to ask themselves can they comfortably afford to take the hit if the dice are not in their favor.

If I sold a guarantee that your .25 gumball will be fresh for a dime, you probably wouldn't buy the insurance. Why? Because you are willing to take the chance and lose .25.