Latest on Freedom's Upcoming Upgrades

winddawn

So the PVPs did meet with the Carnival President this past Friday according to my PVP. She basically told me that since the Sunshine upgrades were not finished as expected, that Carnival will not commit to/announce for sure what will be included in the Freedom upgrades to prevent another situation like they had with Sunshine where workers are still trying to complete upgrade work while passengers are onboard, and will instead see how much they can get fully completed before Freedom is placed back into service. They do not want to place the ship back in service with parts of the ship closed because work is still in progress. So if anyone tells you that that they know for sure in advance what the upgrades will be, they don't know because it will be determined based on how the work goes while the ship is being upgraded.

This is what my PVP told me she took away from Friday's meeting:

Freedom upgrade period will be 3 1/2 weeks vs. the usual 5 weeks, and the dry dock period will take place in Mobile, Alabama starting on April 19th.

The upgrades will be somewhere between Dream's and Liberty's.

Red Frog Bar on Lido and Blue Iguana Cantina are expected to be included.

The "high definition" big screen TV screen on Lido is expected be included.

Taste Bar, Comedy Club, and Serenity Area are definites.

There will be new work-out equipment in the work-out area.

There will be new bedding and carpeting everywhere.

Any other work that does get completed will be based on whether it can be fully completed prior to the ship being placed back into service.

Guy's Burger's is still up in the air, but they are hopeful.

The upgrades have to be determined before the ship is anywhere near dry dock because they have to design and order parts months in advance. Taking a ship out of service for any kind of construction requires months of planning to ensure that the time is most effectively used. You simply can't have a situation where the construction is wait and see: either you have the parts necessary for construction or you don't. If you have the parts, then you better use them otherwise you are losing money.

Edited by Branman

The upgrades have to be determined before the ship is anywhere near dry dock because they have to design and order parts months in advance. Taking a ship out of service for any kind of construction requires months of planning to ensure that the time is most effectively used. You simply can't have a situation where the construction is wait and see: either you have the parts necessary for construction or you don't. If you have the parts, then you better use them otherwise you are losing money.

My takeaway from this is that Carnival's president thinks that the greater risk is associated with promising and not being able to deliver promptly, i.e., bad press/bad PR is more costly than ordering parts and not using them. Carnival has a wish list but isn't making promises. It will depend on how the work goes vs. what's planned.

My takeaway from this is that Carnival's president thinks that the greater risk is associated with promising and not being able to deliver promptly, i.e., bad press/bad PR is more costly than ordering parts and not using them. Carnival has a wish list but isn't making promises. It will depend on how the work goes vs. what's planned.

While I agree with your assessment, stop and think about the upcoming Freedom dry dock for a minute.

1. Originally announced and planned for a dry dock of about 7 weeks (49 days)

2. Dry dock schedule reduced to an announced period of 2 weeks (14 days)

3. The latest announcement of dry dock 3 1/2 weeks (24-25 days)

Ever wonder why there is so much speculation and even doubts about what CCL will eventually do?:eek:

While I agree with your assessment, stop and think about the upcoming Freedom dry dock for a minute.

1. Originally announced and planned for a dry dock of about 7 weeks (49 days)

2. Dry dock schedule reduced to an announced period of 2 weeks (14 days)

3. The latest announcement of dry dock 3 1/2 weeks (24-25 days)

Ever wonder why there is so much speculation and even doubts about what CCL will eventually do?:eek:

Make no mistake. I'm not claiming to know anything. I'm simply sharing what my PVP took away from Friday's meeting with Carnival's president. If anything is certain, it is that Carnival is proceeding cautiously.

So the PVPs did meet with the Carnival President this past Friday according to my PVP. She basically told me that since the Sunshine upgrades were not finished as expected, that Carnival will not commit to/announce for sure what will be included in the Freedom upgrades to prevent another situation like they had with Sunshine where workers are still trying to complete upgrade work while passengers are onboard, and will instead see how much they can get fully completed before Freedom is placed back into service. They do not want to place the ship back in service with parts of the ship closed because work is still in progress. So if anyone tells you that that they know for sure in advance what the upgrades will be, they don't know because it will be determined based on how the work goes while the ship is being upgraded.

Freedom upgrade period will be 3 1/2 weeks vs. the usual 5 weeks, and the dry dock period will take place in Mobile, Alabama starting on April 19th.

Any other work that does get completed will be based on whether it can be fully completed prior to the ship being placed back into service.

there's a work out area?? :confused:

curious as to why Carnival shortened the dry dock. if not, they would have been able to do more of the upgrades.

I think it's more that they don't want to promise something if it won't be done in time for the first cruises. Leaving paid-for upgrades on shore will be a long-term loss for the company compared to an inconvenience for the first cruisers.

For instance, they could still be finishing up a Sportsquare while underway. The first set of cruisers wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on if they complain because Carnival hasn't announced that there would be a Sportsquare. You wouldn't want to leave the ropes course on shore because the three ships with a ropes course have much higher fares compared to ones without.

Make no mistake. I'm not claiming to know anything. I'm simply sharing what my PVP took away from Friday's meeting with Carnival's president. If anything is certain, it is that Carnival is proceeding cautiously.

Please don't take my comments as being towards you. They were totally directed towards CCL. After hearing so many brilliant plans/announcements the past few years, I take all CCL PR announcements with a grain of salt.

BTW, glad someone actually talked to a PVP and hopefully got some good and/or correct info.

I'd also be cautious about the 3.5 week thing. The website currently has only the weeks of April 20th and 27th unavailable for booking (you can book for April 13th or May 3rd). While they could cancel either April 13th or May 3rd in the future, it would be the most bizarre behavior to issue a sail date, cancel it, un-cancel it, and then re-cancel it. (I still think it's bizarre to un-cancel a sail date in the first place, but that's why the Freedom dry dock is so intriguing)

As the other poster has said, thanks for posting what your PvP said so that we can digest what's going on.

I think it's more that they don't want to promise something if it won't be done in time for the first cruises. Leaving paid-for upgrades on shore will be a long-term loss for the company compared to an inconvenience for the first cruisers.

For instance, they could still be finishing up a Sportsquare while underway. The first set of cruisers wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on if they complain because Carnival hasn't announced that there would be a Sportsquare. You wouldn't want to leave the ropes course on shore because the three ships with a ropes course have much higher fares compared to ones without.

I didn't take away from the information that anything will be left off long-term if it is truly planned. I just think that if Carnival intends to change something and can't fit it in during this dry dock, that they will find other ways to do it that won't create an opportunity for bad PR. I view that as a positive thing. Carnival is learning to think outside the box and take control of their destiny. Brilliant!

So they shortened the dry dock time from 49 days to 26 days, and hope to do what they can. And they want to avoid a bad PR campaign.

Sounds like Carnival. Unbelievable.

So they shortened the dry dock time from 49 days to 26 days, and hope to do what they can. And they want to avoid a bad PR campaign.

Why is it unbelievable? Please share if you have an official source for 49 days dry dock promised.

Why in Heaven's name is everyone focusing on one ship that will be out of service a few weeks? It's not like all of you are going on Freedom. What will be will be.

Why in Heaven's name is everyone focusing on one ship that will be out of service a few weeks? It's not like all of you are going on Freedom. What will be will be.

Actually that's a question I'd love to ask Carnival. Why are they SO scared about one dry dock?

But it's funny ready to cancel their vacations abjure her just because of the rumors of no Guys Burger joint.

If the drydock is taking place in Mobile, that likely means that there is no available space in Freeport; the only other shipyard in the area that can handle a ship of that size. BAE Systems is being sued by Carnival over the Triumph incident, and they may be in no mood to play with Carnival. They may have told Carnival that they can have X amount of time in the shipyard and then they are outta there.

So you think that there will still be Major upgrades (49 days worth), but carnival does not want to promise anything until that work is completed? I respect your opinion and I wanted to know where you are coming from.

I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree. I think that the freedom is getting major upgrades no matter what, but these upgrades may not be completed in time for the first few sailings, hence not promising the upgrades.

I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree. I think that the freedom is getting major upgrades no matter what, but these upgrades may not be completed in time for the first few sailings, hence not promising the upgrades.

If it's being done in Mobile, don't look for anything other than a run of the mill drydock. Freeport is where they have all the major upgrades done. Sorry to burst your bubble. This probably explains the shortened time period as well. Something evidently fell through for them on the original plans.

From my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk.

If it's being done in Mobile, don't look for anything other than a run of the mill drydock. Freeport is where they have all the major upgrades done. Sorry to burst your bubble. This probably explains the shortened time period as well. Something evidently fell through for them on the original plans.

From my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk.

Nothing major needs to be done, except for throwing a waterslides on the ship

I think its better than facing the possibility of another Sunshine post drydock mess.