Latest on Freedom's Upcoming Upgrades

winddawn

Does anyone know how capable mobile Alabama drydock is to perform these these upgrades? Seems like a small drydock with not a lit of workers and cranes...

Is this the same location where the Triumph went and broke free from its mooring during some passing wind?

So the PVPs did meet with the Carnival President this past Friday according to my PVP. She basically told me that since the Sunshine upgrades were not finished as expected, that Carnival will not commit to/announce for sure what will be included in the Freedom upgrades to prevent another situation like they had with Sunshine where workers are still trying to complete upgrade work while passengers are onboard, and will instead see how much they can get fully completed before Freedom is placed back into service. They do not want to place the ship back in service with parts of the ship closed because work is still in progress. So if anyone tells you that that they know for sure in advance what the upgrades will be, they don't know because it will be determined based on how the work goes while the ship is being upgraded.

This is what my PVP told me she took away from Friday's meeting:

Freedom upgrade period will be 3 1/2 weeks vs. the usual 5 weeks, and the dry dock period will take place in Mobile, Alabama starting on April 19th.

The upgrades will be somewhere between Dream's and Liberty's.

Red Frog Bar on Lido and Blue Iguana Cantina are expected to be included.

The "high definition" big screen TV screen on Lido is expected be included.

Taste Bar, Comedy Club, and Serenity Area are definites.

There will be new work-out equipment in the work-out area.

There will be new bedding and carpeting everywhere.

Any other work that does get completed will be based on whether it can be fully completed prior to the ship being placed back into service.

Guy's Burger's is still up in the air, but they are hopeful.

John Heald just posted that the dry dock will take place in Freeport at the Grand Bahama Shipyard.

I just looked on John's Face book page and looks like Freedom will be going to Freeport for the drydock."

Here is his post:

"I am getting asked a lot of questions about dry dock and what is happening to the ships that are scheduled, where the dry docks are etc. We will announce what will happen to the ships just before they enter dry dock as we did with the Carnival Legend already. I was asked today and yesterday where the Carnival Freedom will dry dock and the answer is that on April 19th she will enter the GBS Freeport, Bahamas dry dock for 14 days and more information on her, soon."

cheers

John Heald just posted that the dry dock will take place in Freeport at the Grand Bahama Shipyard.

Makes more sense to me. When I read Alabama, I thought that maybe Freeport was fully booked, but then again you can adjust your schedule until you can get a spot.

When I was initially reading OP first post, I thought there is something fishy about it. And I'm not saying that he did it on purpose, because this is what has been told to him.

The one that really stand out out was, that they will see what else they will do depending on how work is progressing.

When I was initially reading OP first post, I thought there is something fishy about it. And I'm not saying that he did it on purpose, because this is what has been told to him.

The one that really stand out out was, that they will see what else they will do depending on how work is progressing.

Ok, so Winddawn was told by his PVP yesterday dry dock 3 1/2 weeks in Mobile, today John Heald says 2 weeks in Freeport. All of this from the initial announcement several months ago of a 6-7 week dry dock. Seems as if CCL can't decide what they want to do, or maybe can't make a decision. When Freedom comes out of dry dock, then and then only will we know how long it took and what was done.

Edited by Georgiagolfer
spelling

Does anyone know how capable mobile Alabama drydock is to perform these these upgrades? Seems like a small drydock with not a lit of workers and cranes...

The drydock at BAE is capable of doing all of that. They handled the Fantasy class upgrades which including adding all of those slides. It is not a small operation. I look forward to being able to see the Carnival ship there each day, it will get me more excited for my cruise in May.

Ok, so Winddawn was told by his PVP yesterday dry dock 3 1/2 weeks in Mobile, today John Heald says 2 weeks in Freeport. All of this from the initial announcement several months ago of a 6-7 week dry dock. Seems as if CCL can't decide what they want to do, or maybe can't make a decision. When Freedom comes out of dry dock, then and then only will we know how long it took and what was done.

Does this mean that the entire OP's post is rubbish, and the PVP is to be discredited. I'm two weeks, they will hardly have time to vacuum all the carpets.

Does this mean that the entire OP's post is rubbish, and the PVP is to be discredited. I'm two weeks, they will hardly have time to vacuum all the carpets.

The upgrades including guys burger joint, All the new bars and the sports bar were done in two weeks on the carnival conquest and carnival Glory and I think carnival liberty.

Two weeks is a lot of time for assembly. Remember, any construction taking place on these ships will just be the final assembly, everything is pre-fabricated on shore and is just attached to the ship during the dry dock. Go look at the Carnival Spirit Dry dock pictures on Carnival's facebook page to see how it's done. Major assemblies for the waterworks were preassembled and just lifted in place. The only real construction work on board would be installing the waterworks surface and the necessary plumbing for the new pieces.

Similarly, each Conquest ship had the original lido deck hot tubs demolished and new hot tubs constructed in the stadium seating area. That was also completed in less than 2 weeks.

Edited by Branman

The upgrades including guys burger joint, All the new bars and the sports bar were done in two weeks on the carnival conquest and carnival Glory and I think carnival liberty.

That's certainly nothing major, yet conflicts with whatever is fearing Carnival about this dry dock.

Instead of all this wild speculation, what's wrong with waiting to see what happens? No one other than those who have signed the contracts and approving the work that is to be done know for sure.

Why not wait it out and be surprised? If the 2.0 bells and whistles are such a huge concern, why not just book one of the ships where this is already in place? :confused:

Instead of all this wild speculation, what's wrong with waiting to see what happens? No one other than those who have signed the contracts and approving the work that is to be done know for sure.

Why not wait it out and be surprised? If the 2.0 bells and whistles are such a huge concern, why not just book one of the ships where this is already in place? :confused:

There is one poster, posting under 4-5 different names, that tries to whip up a frenzy every time a ship is going into dry dock. Starting multiple threads about the same thing, with nothing but pure speculation and rumor. Their guess is as good as yours. ;)