New to NCL Dawn

Sparkysgal18333

Hello All. I am new to NCL. I am going out on the Dawn end of Feb. I am really looking forward to it. Going with my elderly mother for her birthday trip. I have a few questions and hope I am in the right board to ask. Mostly it is a bout the shore excursions. Do y'all mostly book them through the cruise line or an independent group like Island Marketing Ltd. I ask because we are not going to swim or snorkel. Just want to sight-see Roatan and Belize-like the ruins and such. Maybe do a little shopping. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I read somewhere about the seashell cameo carvings- are they really that beautiful? And does anybody know where the shop is and how much they are?

One(maybe) more question, I notice that the Tampa port offers Valet parking. Mother is interested in this (she doesn't want to walk more than she must). Has anyone ever done the valet parking here?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Stephanie

Hello All. I am new to NCL. I am going out on the Dawn end of Feb. I am really looking forward to it. Going with my elderly mother for her birthday trip. I have a few questions and hope I am in the right board to ask. Mostly it is a bout the shore excursions. Do y'all mostly book them through the cruise line or an independent group like Island Marketing Ltd. I ask because we are not going to swim or snorkel. Just want to sight-see Roatan and Belize-like the ruins and such. Maybe do a little shopping. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I read somewhere about the seashell cameo carvings- are they really that beautiful? And does anybody know where the shop is and how much they are?

One(maybe) more question, I notice that the Tampa port offers Valet parking. Mother is interested in this (she doesn't want to walk more than she must). Has anyone ever done the valet parking here?

Stephanie

Not really the right board, you should be posting the port questions on specific port boards. I've personally, rarely got my questions answered on the port boards or found the exact answer I needed on research but it's always best to try there first.

I've never done this itinerary, Feb is my first time on the Western Caribbean so don't know how much help I can be.

I always book with the cruise ship when booking excursions. At least I know I won't be stranded if anything happens like a tour bus breaking down or something like that. Most times it's cheaper if you go with independent contractors for excursions (not always our one in LA was more expensive if we didn't do it through the ship, same company).

Also NCL provides you with an activity level guide, so you know whether your mother could do that excursion. Both ruin tours in Belize are marked as activity #2 (considerable amount of physical activity such as substantial walking over uneven ground, steep terrain or steps). I know ours to Lamanai ruins requires walking through the jungle.

Edited by che5904

I used to travel with my mom who didn't get around very well...We used to get her a scooter from Scoot-around...very reasonable...they will deliver it to the ship, and make things easier for her...

As for ports...

In Roatan,

We booked with Victor Brodden tours...(we have used him in the past, and have booked with him for our upcoming cruise in April. He can book what ever type of excursion you would like...private, join another group..etc! As for the Cameo factory that is also in Roatan...and yes they are beautiful, and Victor can add that to your excursion!

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me at my email if you have any other questions!

Edited by OhioGirl

If you want a very personalized tour, go on Trip Advisor and you can find all sorts of private tour guides there with reviews. For two people, it's likely going to cost more to do this route, but you get what you pay for. If you just want a 1/2 day island tour, and you don't want to spend too much time thinking about it, then just book with the cruiseline.

Never done valet at Tamp. One person usually drops everyone else and parks and meets up with them inside - you need to print TWO copies of your ticket if you do this - one for each of you.

You'll love the Dawn. Going on it for the 2nd time in March.

BTW, I read somewhere about the seashell cameo carvings- are they really that beautiful? And does anybody know where the shop is and how much they are?

Stephanie

We did the cameo factory on our sightseeing tour with Victor Bodden in Roatan and it was amazing. You can see them doing the carvings in the store and they have quite a showcase of carvings available for sale. The prices range from several hundred dollars for a large intricate piece down to $30 or so for a pair of earrings. I bought my wife a set of earrings that were carved as a palm tree and set in silver for around $45. If you google Stone Mountain Cameo you can get some images of their work.

Roatan and Cozumel are extremely good ports to do independent excursions on your own...(Belize, I would ONLY do a ship excursion due to the extremely old busses and boats many excursions there use)

In Roatan, I also can highly recommend Victor Bodden tours..

Used them our first time in Roatan and had a great day, tailored to our group. Great, air conditioned, comfortable vans.

They will tailor your day to what you and your Mother are looking for and will definitely have no trouble stopping at the Cameo Factory on the way back. (its not far from the pier NCL docks at)

Our friends took our recommendation and did his tour with their elderly father, who is extremely mobitlity impaired and Victor had their driver switch vans, to give them the one with easiest access for their Dad for the day.

Definitely let them know about your Mother's needs if you decide to book.

Here is a link to Victor's website.

http://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

Here are some pictures of the cameo factory and the wares..

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalConquest2011/05Roatan/index4.htm

Thanks to boardie Sargent Schultz for the link

Here is some TA reviews..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303872-d2532183-Reviews-Stone_Castle_Cameo_Factory-Coxen_Hole_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Here is a You Tube video showing Carnival's excursion to the factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6-twbWknAA

Hope that helps.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

I have used valet parking at a Tampa several times and will again in Feb. Nothing could be easier or faster coming and going. Pull up by the entrance, get ticket, pay for the week, and keep the receipt and ticket to claim your car after the cruise. They will have moved the cars right next to the pier to make room for arriving cars. Never more then 3 minutes for my car to be pulled up steps from the exit.

Stephanie

The Lamanai ruins tour is a long day in Belize. Please use NCL tour to make it back to the ship in time .:)

Hello All. I am new to NCL....

Some good answers already for you.

I would add that you should go to the ROLL CALL for your cruise. See sticky above.

Also, check out the PORTS OF CALL boards for ideas.

And, on your next post, try to put the question the TITLE.

Scroll down through postings from the past week and you will learn LOTS of stuff you did not even think of.

A search here on the word TAMPA will bring up some good stuff too.

Thanks for all the help. I guess I was in the wrong place, but a good place to start.

Thanks again for all h e help. I am enjoying reading all the boards and threads.

Stephanie

Not a big deal, if the moderators feel you post something in the wrong spot they just move it. Then it stays on the main board for a short period of time marked "moved" so you can still access it from the main board. If it disappears and you haven't broken any rules, just click on your own name at the top right, statistics tab and either choose "find all posts by..." or "find all threads started by" and you will find your thread.

I have a Dawn review in my signature. I did do a private tour in Roatan and it was wonderful. I didn't book it so I can't tell you to company. I would follow the other posters advice and research it. We really enjoyed it. It had a van and took us all around the island. We stopped at the iguana farm, did a boat tour among other things. It was very personalized.

Just want to sight-see Roatan and Belize-like the ruins and such. Maybe do a little shopping.

Stephanie

Sorry I missed the ruins part earlier...

Definitely book one through the ship in Belize. (there are 3 larger ruins in Belize to visit. 2 smaller ruins in Costa Maya that you can visit.)

Just read carefully through some reviews before you book.

I had researched most of the ruins for our upcoming cruise and most (maybe all) involved uneven walking surfaces, most out in the wide open, so very hot, and some traveling on the river to get there. Some in covered boats, some not.

The ruins are definitely a bucket list type thing if you've never seen them.

(I was lucky enough to see some of the huge ruins at Progresso)

But if your Mother has trouble walking on uneven surfaces (roots, rocks, etc..) or being in the heat for long, PLEASE make sure to read all of the reviews before booking.

Bill

If you want to disclose what week you're traveling, we can help you find your roll call. There you might find others that want to share private excursions. It's fun to meet new people and share the experience.

I'm a big fan of private excursions. I'll be on my third cruise in February on the Dawn as well and I've only done 1 ship excursion, all the rest were private or do-it-on-my-own.

I've found the port of call boards to be helpful in finding reputable, reliable tour operators.

We're also doing Victor Boden in Roatan, we're doing a trip to the Zoo with Nacho and Cynthia in Belize, the Bar Hop in Cozumel and Almaplena Beach Resort in Costa Maya. If you're interested in more details on any of these, I'd be happy to help. You can contact me here.

Whatever you do, relax and have a good time!

We just got off the Dawn a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. We've used both Victor Bodden and Island Marketing for Roatan (the latter for this trip). If it is your first time to Roatan, Bodden is hard to beat, they will do whatever you want all day for a very reasonable rate. Cruise ship tours are a little more expensive but if you feel more comfy go with that.

We used Island Marketing this past time for the trip to Altun Ha in Belize. It was the closest and easiest ruins to get to, about an hour away in an air conditioned van. The roads are not good there, but our tour guide was great. It is hot, though, and you do have to stay on your feet a little, so be careful. Climbing up the temple was a great experience for us though.

Have fun!

In ports where you have to travel long distances to do a tour, I always book through the ship. If it is delayed the ship will usually wait for you. They will not usually if you are on a privatly booked tour.

If I am just an easy taxi ride or public transportation ride from the ship I will go out and book a private tour.

The Cameo factory tour was nice. We purchased a nice conk shell with a seahorse carved into it.

Jon

In costa Maya, there is a place called Heaven. Real name is Maya Chan. We (party of 10) were picked and spent the day while on the Darn Dawn. Best excursion. Great people, Lots to do, drinks were tasty and the food was fantastic. Never saw a bad review, even on Trip Advisor.