Calabaza or Calypso cruise to snorkel with se turtles

bmgrins

Lunagirl, you mention jumping off the catamaran and swimming to shore, is this optional?

The reason I ask is because we are thinking of doing the catamaran, but will be taking our 3 year old son along. So, swimming to shore is not an option for him. He swims, but he can't manage extensive swimming. Can he and an adult stay on the catamaran while the others swim?

Jumping off and swimming to shore is definitely optional as is the snorkeling. Calabaza took great care of our little ones during the snorkeling part. They used a float that one of the crew members pulled along behind him. Swimming to shore was pretty shallow and not much current. The crew stayed on the Catamaran but the kids went out to shore with DH.

• 2 weeks later...
Lunagirl, you mention jumping off the catamaran and swimming to shore, is this optional?

The reason I ask is because we are thinking of doing the catamaran, but will be taking our 3 year old son along. So, swimming to shore is not an option for him. He swims, but he can't manage extensive swimming. Can he and an adult stay on the catamaran while the others swim?

Yes, it is absolutely optional. My husband stayed on the boat while I went to shore. In fact, every stop is optional. There was a gentleman on our excursion who had jeans on and never got in the water. He was just there for the scenery and food. I don't think he had any alcoholic drinks either.

There was one family who had a little girl (about 6-8) and she could not swim, so they gave her a life jacket and she only got off the boat at 2 stops.

• 1 month later...

We just returned and used Calypso Cruises. They were amazing! It was the highlight of our 10 day cruise. Constant snacks and drinks and an amazing extensive lunch. The guys were terrific and took great care of all of us They book 12 people max and we were very comfortable with plenty of room to spread out and relax.

Turtles were out in abundance and the experience was awesome. We then went to 2 wrecks After that we stopped near a gorgeous beach to have lunch and one more swim with noodles. Dessert was delicious!

Nick is the owner and has the greatest personality and his dad is Val a real nice personable guy. Nick and Biggy were terrific always making sure you had a rum punch in your hand and very knowledgeable in what we were looking at underwater.

A great day!! Can't wait to sail with them again.

Does Calabaza catamarans have a ladder for easy access getting into and out of the water? That's a concern of mine. We've been on other tours where there was just a rope ladder which was very difficult to get back in the water with.

Yes Calabaza has a ladder that goes into the water.

• 3 weeks later...
We just returned and used Calypso Cruises. They were amazing! It was the highlight of our 10 day cruise. Constant snacks and drinks and an amazing extensive lunch. The guys were terrific and took great care of all of us They book 12 people max and we were very comfortable with plenty of room to spread out and relax.

Turtles were out in abundance and the experience was awesome. We then went to 2 wrecks After that we stopped near a gorgeous beach to have lunch and one more swim with noodles. Dessert was delicious!

Nick is the owner and has the greatest personality and his dad is Val a real nice personable guy. Nick and Biggy were terrific always making sure you had a rum punch in your hand and very knowledgeable in what we were looking at underwater.

A great day!! Can't wait to sail with them again.

I'll second everything above.

Had a great day last week onboard with Nick:D

Does Calabaza catamarans have a ladder for easy access getting into and out of the water? That's a concern of mine. We've been on other tours where there was just a rope ladder which was very difficult to get back in the water with.

I would say it is more like a set of steps you can easily sit on and sort of glide right into the water. I think there were three steps. They are actually part of the catamaran itself. Attached to the bottom step is a small ladder which is in the water. It does not sway like a rope ladder. I was very comfortable as I am not one to jump off the sides of the boat. We were on Calabaza in November. It was by far the best excursion we have experienced. Gina and the crew are extremely hospitable and helpful. They just want you to have a wonderful time. And we did. Planning on going with them next time we are in Barbados.

Edited by pinkroses

I would say it is more like a set of steps you can easily sit on and sort of glide right into the water. I think there were three steps. They are actually part of the catamaran itself. Attached to the bottom step is a small ladder which is in the water. It does not sway like a rope ladder. I was very comfortable as I am not one to jump off the sides of the boat. We were on Calabaza in November. It was by far the best excursion we have experienced. Gina and the crew are extremely hospitable and helpful. They just want you to have a wonderful time. And we did. Planning on going with them next time we are in Barbados.

Thanks for the information. I have no problem sliding to get into the water.......but without a nice ladder I would have a problem getting out of the water......LOL

Patty