How are dining seating arrangements predetermined?

somesong12

I know the Matre'D ( as what I was told previously,) but how is it determined on where you sit in the dining room. We do the 6:00 p.m. dining and have been at the window or a table next to the window-which I love.

How is it determined. Just curious. I wouldn't change with where we are given, but was just a curiosity question.

I know the Matre'D ( as what I was told previously,) but how is it determined on where you sit in the dining room. We do the 6:00 p.m. dining and have been at the window or a table next to the window-which I love.

How is it determined. Just curious. I wouldn't change with where we are given, but was just a curiosity question.

Seems location is very haphazard. We cruise about 3x a year and our location is all over the place.

Last cruise they put us at a table for 2 in the middle of aisles on all four sides and passengers and waitstaff were constantly walking by.

Arranged to change tables the next night before dinner was halfway over.

There have been cruises where Carnival did a great job with our dining assignment. On our 25th anniversary cruise, we were seated with two other couples also celebrating their 25th (could not be coincidental!) But then there was another cruise where we were seated with a much older couple (long time ago) who didn't speak English! Most of the time it works out great and when it doesn't, we request a change. Not a huge deal.

But wouldn't it be better if Carnival (like other lines!) took dining preferences at the time of booking?

We were a party of 7 in 4 staterooms on the Breeze last April. Carnival assigned 6 of us together, then 1 person in a different dining room by herself. ***? They could not rearranged our table within the 6pm seating, so for EIGHT NIGHTS 7 of us snuggled into a 6-top and made the best of it.

Two months later we sailed with 12 of us on the Glory. I sent numerous emails in advance to make sure we were seated together (preferably at a round table) and it worked out great.

Again, why not give an option to express those preferences at booking?

We were a party of 7 in 4 staterooms on the Breeze last April. Carnival assigned 6 of us together, then 1 person in a different dining room by herself. ***? They could not rearranged our table within the 6pm seating, so for EIGHT NIGHTS 7 of us snuggled into a 6-top and made the best of it.

Two months later we sailed with 12 of us on the Glory. I sent numerous emails in advance to make sure we were seated together (preferably at a round table) and it worked out great.

Always wondered about that. We like a large table so as to meet new people and last 6 or so cruises pretty regularly get a table for 2.

Always wondered about that. We like a large table so as to meet new people and last 6 or so cruises pretty regularly get a table for 2.

It's an unnecessary nuisance, BUT...embarkation afternoon, visit your assigned dining and check your table. If it doesn't work for you, go stand in the very long line to speak with the Maitre'd and request a large table. Sometimes they can accommodate, sometimes not. But I would do it as early as possible.

It's an unnecessary nuisance, BUT...embarkation afternoon, visit your assigned dining and check your table. If it doesn't work for you, go stand in the very long line to speak with the Maitre'd and request a large table. Sometimes they can accommodate, sometimes not. But I would do it as early as possible.

Have done it but decided too much trouble. Easier to deal with first night wherever we will be and than ask for change if warranted.

Have done it but decided too much trouble. Easier to deal with first night wherever we will be and than ask for change if warranted.

We just don't like a small table. If assigned to anything less than a 6-top, we change before ever going to dinner. It seems that they are offering more and more smaller tables and fewer large ones...

We just don't like a small table. If assigned to anything less than a 6-top, we change before ever going to dinner. It seems that they are offering more and more smaller tables and fewer large ones...

For some reason small tables seem to be getting more popular.

We like to meet and get to know people on our cruise so we always want a large table. Still speak to a number of people we met at dinner.

We have a party of 6 in three rooms for anytime dining how do I get us at the same table ?

Check out John Heald's Facebook page today on this topic. Apparently, people are snobs and lowlifes for wanting a table with family only or for 2. The responses are vilifying people who have the "audacity" to send an email with a special request for a table. The responses were very nasty. This is one of the reason many of us waste precious time on our vacations waiting in line for up to an hour or more to get our tables changed. Not trying to be a snob but we have had very poor experience when we are cruising without friends at tables with strangers. We have had nothing in common with them which made it very awkward at meals. Hard to have a good time when you have nothing to converse about. I agree, other lines allow you to request table size upon booking. This is one of the many reasons people are exploring cruise lines other than Carnival.