Photo Review - Ryndam New Years Cruise

1of4

I sent one today ON LOCATION to you yesterday (Friday) and requested you let me know if you received it. Still no reply so I haven't sent another.

I didn't get it <sigh>. And, I cleaned out my spam folder just about an hour ago.

I get lots of unwanted e-mail, so if I don't know the sender, and the subject line isn't something that I clearly am looking for, I delete it. Perhaps too quickly.

I guess it isn't meant to be. Thank for you for trying so hard.

Sheila

Busy weekend with the weather...we are being hammered this year. Environment Canada says it is the coldest winter in the last 20 years. I can say that the cars aren't likeing it any better than the people are....

Back to warm memories! We reboarded the Ryndam and got ready for dinner as we had early set dining. I must admit, we missed every sail away except one as the sail aways and early dining clashed.

It was still bright and sunny out when we sat down at our table:

ry%3D400

DD was wearing her new wrap:

ry%3D400

DS was taking our photos...we cleaned up pretty well I thought!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DH ordered a chilled blueberry soup to start:

ry%3D400

While I had the tomato and Buffalo mozarella salad (my favourite)...as you can tell as I started into it before I remembered to take a photo.....

ry%3D400

DS ordered CC Dippers off the Child menu:

ry%3D400

DD passed on appatizers and went right to the dumplings off the adult menu for her dinner:

ry%3D400

I had mango stuffed chicken:

ry%3D400

DS and DD both had shortribs:

ry%3D400

DH and had veal...no comment...it was the first and last time he ordered two mains.....and he ate them both....I am refraining myself from commenting...

ry%3D400

DS and DD had their traditional dessert...ice cream

ry%3D400

DH an I both chose to eat dessert....not usual....

This was mine...now you know why...

ry%3D400

DH chose a trio of desserts:

ry%3D400

DD doesn't usually eat dessert, especially when we were on Disney as she has trouble with her stomach if she eats too late and we had late dining (no open dining or any time dining on Disney)....the waiter couldn't understand so he brought her something one night covered in the stainless cover....

WE were a bit afraid of insulting him as he went to such trouble.....

ry%3D400

We laughed so hard!!! She asked for nothing and she got just that!

We left Guatemala with good memories of sunny skies and time spent together:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hi there thanks for sharing your photos and comments. We are thinking of taking a Norwegian Fiords cruise on Ryndam on June 7th. As its a family reunion (30 members) I was wondering if there are enough public spaces on the ship that accommodate large groups. We might be indoors most of the time since it could get cold on deck.

Does anyone know HAL's policy on group bookings?

Last question- we've sailed on RCI (Vision + Radiance)& Carnival (Magic)before, so how does HAL compare with these lines in terms of food, eating outlets/restaurants/cafes, outside views/vistas from the interior of the ship, cabins (inside + outside)....Thanks..

Hi there thanks for sharing your photos and comments. We are thinking of taking a Norwegian Fiords cruise on Ryndam on June 7th. As its a family reunion (30 members) I was wondering if there are enough public spaces on the ship that accommodate large groups. We might be indoors most of the time since it could get cold on deck.

Does anyone know HAL's policy on group bookings?

Last question- we've sailed on RCI (Vision + Radiance)& Carnival (Magic)before, so how does HAL compare with these lines in terms of food, eating outlets/restaurants/cafes, outside views/vistas from the interior of the ship, cabins (inside + outside)....Thanks..

The only question I can answer is that there would be no issue getting space inside or out for your family group. One of the things we love about HAL is the open space and seating space to view. In my humble opinion, that was what was lacking on the Disney Magic...places to sit and view.

As for group bookings, and comparisons to Carnival and RCI I can't help you as I have never sailed those two lines. I am doing another thread comparing HAL to Disney.

Your pictures are great.

Many years ago when we were on a Princess cruise, we were at a table for 6 and one lady said that she didn't want any dessert. Our waiter did the same thing as yours did -- served her a plate with the word "nothing" on it.

We all laughed so hard as the waiter made such a production (very Disney like) out of getting the chef to make something very special that he was sure DD would eat.....too funny. We were worried though, at first, because she really can't eat much after 8 so dinner was hard on her as it was so late and their are no other options for dinner on Disney.

Cruising Day 5, January 2nd, Roatan, Honduras:

I had called HAL and had it confirmed that we would be docking at the Carnival-made port in Roatan (I forget the name right now) which I thought the children would like because of the beach, but not to be, we were docking at Coxen Hole. No matter, we had an excursion booked:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The day was very sunny and hot. Such a difference from the reports we read in the Canadian news highlights that HAL supplied.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Note to self - make DD wear her sunglasses!

ry%3D400

DS too....

ry%3D400

It looked beautiful and tropical. Just what 4 frozen Canadians needed:

ry%3D400

Just look at the coral at the dock:

ry%3D400

We all laughed so hard as the waiter made such a production (very Disney like) out of getting the chef to make something very special that he was sure DD would eat.....too funny. We were worried though, at first, because she really can't eat much after 8 so dinner was hard on her as it was so late and their are no other options for dinner on Disney.

I can understand about eating late.

The older we get, the worse our systems are with digesting food late at night.

Were you given any explanation as to why you went to Coxen Hole instead of Mahogany Bay?

None. But the itinerary was switched as we would have had to tender in on January 1 so the Captain changed and we went to Guatamala first instead. We were told we were the only ship visiting the island on January 2nd. The cruise before went to Mahognay Bay.

I was toying with a beach day instead of booking an excursion and that would have worked well at Mahogany Bay. But even after "confirming" that we would be docked at Mahogany Bay decided to book the semi-submersible excursion so DH could see under the water as he is a non-swimmer. Glad we did!

None. But the itinerary was switched as we would have had to tender in on January 1 so the Captain changed and we went to Guatamala first instead. We were told we were the only ship visiting the island on January 2nd. The cruise before went to Mahognay Bay.

I was toying with a beach day instead of booking an excursion and that would have worked well at Mahogany Bay. But even after "confirming" that we would be docked at Mahogany Bay decided to book the semi-submersible excursion so DH could see under the water as he is a non-swimmer. Glad we did!

Thank you for the explanation.

Thank you. Thanks for taking the time and taking us along for the ride,looks like a good time was had.

You are very welcome. We did have a wonderful time....seems so long ago now as the snow is so deep it is covering the highway signs and we have no place left to shovel it to. Sigh....many more weeks left to go....

Back to Roatan...

We were amoung the first to get off the ship this morning as we had excursion tickets for the Semi-Submersible that would take us to the shell cameo factory and over to the West End Village as well.

But first DH had to contact his office so while he did that (and was told it was -30 something and we were in +30 something) the children and I went over to admire the huge Christmas tree on the dock:

ry%3D400

The ornaments were on the larger scale:

ry%3D400

In our attempts to take a photo of DS with his eyes open we went to the other side of the tree:

ry%3D400

Now that's better...and you can see the lovely Ryndam in the background too:

ry%3D400

DH was finally off the phone with his office. See, I told him he could take a vacation and the place would still function....

Soon we were wisked away in a comfortable mini bus with 2 seats down one side and single seats down the other. I can't remember now how many it sat but less than 20.

Pardon the fuzzy photo...I took this from the bus window and the roads are in the process of being re-constructed; to say it was bumpy would be putting it mildly!

ry%3D400

Our first stop was the cameo factory where we saw a short presentation and then were allowed in to browse. Only thing is, Roatan's electricity is supplied by 3 generators and they have rotational brown outs all the time and guess what....while we were in the factor there was no power. This is an issue that plagued us whereever we went on the island (also the reason why I couldn't post from the island itself). So we couldn't see all that well and they would only take cash. I heard the cost of a pair of earrings was $70 US. DH bought DD a pendant for considerably less.

This tile was on the doorstep of the cameo factory and since I am a quilter it took my fancy:

ry%3D400

Edited by 1of4

We could see the Ryndam across the bay from the factory:

ry%3D400

A quick switch to the telephoto lense and a much better photo; no offense meant to DD or DS!

ry%3D400

Back on the bus...which means one thing to DS....everyone got a good laugh at his natural ability to fall asleep as soon as he is in a moving vehicle:

ry%3D400

The drive over to the West End Village took about 30 minutes and our tour guide kept us fully versered in the history and current operations of the island. She was very informative and friendly. We were told to get off the bus and walk down the dock to the "glass bottomed boat". Here is a bit of the scenery:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Not a great picture, I admit, but the only one I have of the semi-submersible...it looked like a boat from the top side and it is the last boat on the dock on the left side.

ry%3D400

I can never get enough of seeing the colour of warm tropical water. All our water is frozen these days so this is quite a change:

ry%3D400

Now it wasabout 8 to 10 steep steps down but the first people in would be the last ones out as you folded down a padded board to sit on as you got on. As soon as I felt the motion under the water I knew it was a mistake for me as I have Meniere's Disease and that means vertigo. My doctor confirmed when I returned that I can no longer go under the water like that because of the pressure change and my ears. I managed to make it through the 30 minute ride but was ever so greatful that it was no longer!

I took a few photographs but missed a huge stingray as it was on DS side and was swimming away.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Maybe this will help you understand why my head/stomach was not doing so well. It was a bit rough at times on that side of the island:

ry%3D400

Great pics :D:D

Love it. Glad to hear that your DH has learned that the office can survive without him - now maybe he will get off in Vancouver next year ;)

We can only hope...and I am working on him but he is a stubborn beastie.:rolleyes: The girls' party is on if he and DS do decided to debark in San Diego!

woops, pressed the wrong button!

Since DH is a non-swimmer, this was his first look up from underneath the water:

ry%3D400

I would be lying if I said I wasn't glad to have it over. But I was the only one. I took a deep breath or two and drank in the top side view:

ry%3D400

Work is demanding and I must stop for now...