Photo Review - Ryndam New Years Cruise

1of4

Back inside, one of the nicest things about HAL for a family of 4 (or at least for the mum) is the all you can stuff laundry bag for $20...boy can we stuff! Our assistant steward said he had never seen a bag stuffed so hard. I think the comment was that it could be used for a battling ram.....

But that evening it all came back nicely folded. Where is that service now I ask myself...oh yeah...back on the DAM ship. I can say Disney has no such program. In fact they have no laundry service aside from do it yourself on 3 decks for over 2,000 people. Their laundry service charges by the piece and I took the paper...$3/shirt; $3.50/pants, $1.00 for socks (I hope that is for a pair). I can scan the slip if you would like to see it.

What a nice sight to see when you are a tired mum:

ry%3D400

I must say though, Disney does do towel animals better. But I will get into that in a seperate thread. Here are our towel animals. We received the square chocolates (Disney chocolates have a character on them....guess.....no not Mickey.....Sleepy!) But we never got the eyes on our towel animals so perhaps that is a cutback??

ry%3D400

I thought the one below was an elephant until I just pasted the one above. So any guesses??

ry%3D400

Instead of the hanging ape that scares the you-know-what out of most of us, we got this cute guy one night:

ry%3D400

DD's moose took a ride on the swan:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It seems we only received 5 towel animals for the 7 day cruise. I guess that was cut backs too!

I don't recall ever having towel animals on the first or last night of the cruise.

I don't recall ever having towel animals on the first or last night of the cruise.

After I pressed "submit reply" I thought that must be why to had 5. I didn't realize it while on board...but it makes so much sense.

My camera is a Nikon D3100. It is super and I only wish I knew how to use it better. I would love to take a course but I go to bed too early because I get up too early. I have tried to push my limits a few times but it just makes me cranky and tired. So I took the Techspert classes on the Ryndam and learned a few things I didn't know before.

Thanks for the infomation on the sculpture. We really enjoyed our time in Key West.

Thanks for continuing your review.

The Gingerbread display is gorgeous.

I wish I took more photos of the Christmas decorations as it was clear the staff went to much trouble. There was even a TV in a mantle set up on deck 6 by the train and gingerbread display and it was playing a fireplace when we boarded. It was turned off after New Year's Eve.

December 31, Cruise Day 3, Sea Day-Formal night

This was the first of two big days for our family on this cruise. It was our anniversary and would be the "first wearing of the kilts". But there was lots to happen first.

Here is the today ON LOCATION. Hopefully more readable:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We really wanted to go to the "Legend of Ernest Hemingway" which was being held at 9:00 in the showroom at sea. The On Location descriped this talk as "Learn how his time in the Caribbean shaped the tales of this great storyteller. Presented by Cruise Director Rick. This spoke to DH's history gene but alas, I had signed us up to see the Future Cruise Consultant to buy Future cruise deposits at 9:30. This woman said that if we were not at her desk within 5 minutes of our appointment she would give our time slot away.

This was a dumb move on my part as we hear the lecture was excellent and our experience with the FCC was a disaster. Live and learn.

One of the pleasures of sea days for us is just the joy of not having to do anything. We take advantage of the views that only a cruise vacation can supply:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We had received an invitation to the first of two Mariners Brunch. We learned from last time that we have to be at the dining room by 11:30 sharp and not sign the children out of Club Hal at the closing time of 11:30 and take 10 minutes to allow them to change. so this time we were at the dining room sharp with everyone else.

The menu:

ry%3D400

In case you can't read this scan:

Appetizer:

- Crab and Avacado Timbale

- Spiced Chicken and Okra Gumbo

Entrees:

- Grilled Spruce Hen

- Grilled Pompano with Lemon Splash

- Baked Vegetable Quiche ' Bahamian Style"

Dessert:

-Coconut Creme Brulee with Fresh Fruits

petits fours, Coffee, Tea

I must say, the children were not impressed and I don't think we will change our schedule again to attend. The best feature is that we received 4 tiles. We promised DD that we would take her out to the Lido Terrace for pizza afterwards to wipe the frown off her face.

So at 1:00 both were back at their beloved Club Hal but DS, who had been watching the Sea View Pool out of the Club Hal Window asked me to come and get him early if the pool wasn't being used so he could swim.

At 2:30 I could do just that and swim he did:

ry%3D400

But soon it was time to start getting ready for our early set dining time. There was something special going on this year, a first, the Captain told us. The midship pools and jacuzzis closed at 5:00 today in preparation for the evenings events. This had never happened before and the staff were all buzzing about their preparations for the party.

Now full highland dress is many layers for the men, most of them involve 100% wool. But like in the bird world, the men shine and us women try to keep up any way we can so they allow us a sash of tartan; a rosette for youge ladies. For New Year's Eve DD and I wore silk tartan of my father's tartan: Buchanan. This tartan is a bit loud with it's yellows and reds but my father loved it and I wore it with pride in his memory.

We created quite a stir when we emerged from our stateroom. DD in her little gold slippers literally flitted across the floor; one gentlemen called her an angel. DH received a cat call! We only had time for one formal portrait before our dining time.

Since our table was in the corner of the dining room we didn't create much of a stir as nearly nobody could see us at table 17. But we stopped by the banner at the entry to the dining room for a few photos after dinner:

Here are a few views of us around the ship:

In the dining room we were given Happy New Year top hats for the gents and headbands for the ladies:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DH had instruction on how to sit in a kilt but he never learned....the result is obvious:

ry%3D400

I must admit I enjoyed watching him struggle a bit and think about leg placement when sitting....add heels and I would have had a few belly laughs! Ian loved wearing the kilt until he wore it to Club Hal, which was open to its regular 10 PM. One boy teased him and the others thought he was cool. But it only takes one cook to ruin the stew.

But before we dropped of the children we had a few more people offer to take our photos:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Adorable photo of your son! Thanks for the continued photo journey...it's wonderful.

That appears to be a new menu for the Mariner's Lunch. How was it?

Thank you Innlady, I appreciate knowing that it is being read and enjoyed!

DH and I enjoyed the Mariner's lunch but it was too limited for the children. There were things they would eat (and enjoy if they tried) but it was a lot of work for us...not fun.

DH had the Crab and aacado timbale and enjoyed it. The description said 'layered with couscous and drizzled with mango vinaigrette. I had the gumbo which I knew both DS and DD would enjoy but neither would try. I loved it. The menu described it "smoked sausage, spices, tomatoes, rice and served with mini cornbread muffin".

For the main course DD refused to try anything. We were not impressed with her behaviour and this was not characteristic, but we just let her eat bread and stew in her own juices. I thought DS would eat the quiche but when it came he said "I didn't know it was pie" so I switched my grilled spruce hen with him and he liked that. DH had the popano with was Jamaican style corn fritters, peas in rice and sauteed greens.

I can't eat cream so we gave the dessert a miss except for DH who enjoyed 3 of the coconut creme brulees as they didn't ask us and just put them down infront of us but I said no.

What wonderful photos of all of you in your highland dress! You son looked so pleased and to have it spoiled by a cruel child. Sad.

The Club Hall ladies said it was just one boy but DS takes everything to heart. They felt bad about it too as the other boys thought it was so cool and DS chose to leave the kilts on.

Thank you for posting the new Mariner menu.

Since I can't have spices -- doubt if we will go. We had the old menu on our last cruises and didn't bother to go.

What came with the Grilled Spruce Hen? ( can't read the fine print menu)

"Natural jus, apple raisin chutney, steamed broccoli florets and roasted pesto cherry tomatoes and sautéed potatoes"

thank you for posting the new Mariner's luncheon menu. I can understand it not appealing to children but it is much improved for me :)

Your pics are just exquisite. You all look so very wonderful. No wonder people were offering to take pictures.

Love your comment about your DH sitting down with his kilt:p

You DS and DD are so sweet. The look astounding in every picture!

Thank you for continuing this - it is fabulous:D

thank you for posting the new Mariner's luncheon menu. I can understand it not appealing to children but it is much improved for me :)

Thank you for continuing this - it is fabulous:D

Thanks Kazu. With the snow falling along with the temperature outside, it is a nice reminder of our sunny vacation.

Sorry you missed the Hemingway talk. Rick does a fantastic job, but now you've got a reason to book another Ryndam cruise and get out of that snow!

Excellent point:) Hopefully my husband feels the same way!

Thank you so very much 1of4 for sharing your fabulous photos and review. You and your family are all look so beautiful. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading it and seeing the sunshine:).

Thanks. I am sick of the white outside of my window already and it has only been 10 days....:(

Wasn't that a party....

The Lido area was closed for 5 hours and how the staff pulled off such a transformation I will never know. The timing worked our well for DH and I as we went to the Crow's Nest where I discovered a drink I liked very much called a Poinsettia which is cranberry juice, triple sec and champagne....yum yum! We indulged (meaning I had 1 drink) until it was time to go up and sign out DS and DD from Club Hal.

The kids were having a snow-ball fight of all things. What you say. Yes I said that right. Instead of snow they were using wet paper towels. One woman said "my kids will win because we live outside of Buffalo"....until DH said we came from an hour north of Toronto...she conceded that DS would win.

Dh and DS went back to the cabin so DS could put on shorts as he was that upset by being teased by only one boy. So DD and I waited outside the far side of the Lido deck (the side away from the Lido buffet).

DD and I waited for the doors to open. A group had gathered and it was clear people were anxious to be allowed inside. What was also clear was the magnitude of work that had gone on. I snuck in (after a few others had done so) to take a few photos while I could:

This banner was huge and covered the windows on the port side of the Lido:

ry%3D400

Silver helium balloons were hanging over the pool:

ry%3D400

Balloon arches went over the pool:

ry%3D400

There were tables of noise makers and horns. When allowed it I took 4 of each but unfortunately adults kept reaching over the Lido bar knee wall and taking them from our table. We managed to hold on to 2 of each by the end of the evening, which is all that mattered so DD and DS have one of each....just a warning....they will be used at the next sail away party!

But the best was a large screen over the pool where all the staff had photos scrolling. They had all worked so hard for this we thought this was a lovely way to pay tribute:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here are more views of the preparations made for the party in the Lido pool area:

ry%3D400

That model of the Ryndam was as big as the jacuzzi tub! And it held sushi

ry%3D400

There were ice sculptures of "2013" and "2014" and at midnight the Captain tipped 2013 into the pool. I couldn't get near that area because of the crowds so no photos of that.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

When the doors opened DD and I went past the table with the horns and noise makers and then found a table on the pool deck side of the Lido bar, right behind the gazebo where the Hal Cat play. We sat down waiting for DH and DS and anybody else who cared to join us to come along.

Soon enough we found DS...who could miss this outfit?!

DS replaced the kilt with black shorts but chose to leave everything else on:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

You can see the noise-makers as he has one in each hand and a horn in his mouth. This boy was ready to party! You can also see he ditched the wool hose and dress shoes.

When the night started the roof over the pool was closed. But after an hour or so it was so hot it was opened and it was crowed both on the Lido pool deck and the deck above. It was a lot of fun and the free champagne (and sparklying apple juice) flowed:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

DS was so into it...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

until he hit the wall....

ry%3D400

People couldn't believe he could sleep amoungst all the party hub-bub going on...even just feet from the Hal Cats:

ry%3D400

I have to get dinner on the table so the rest of the night may have to wait until tomorrow morning when I take a break at work. Sorry to leave you hanging, but Sunday night has a set routine!