Returning Guests reception

poppydawg

I see that they now have a "top tier" party for guests Platinum and up, but does not include Gold members. Does this mean they no longer have the welcome back party for ALL returning guests anymore or is this two different things?:confused::eek::mad:

I see that they now have a "top tier" party for guests Platinum and up, but does not include Gold members. Does this mean they no longer have the welcome back party for ALL returning guests anymore or is this two different things?:confused::eek::mad:

For a 7 day or longer cruise, they have both receptions.

For shorter cruises, it's up to the ship to decide.

If I remember right, they do an event for all Crown and Anchor members and then they do another event for Platinum and up. My last cruise I remember going to more than one event as an Emerald member. However, that was 2 years ago so it could've changed.

They had two on Freedom of the Seas. One for ALL C&A members and a "top tier" event for Platinum and up.

Clarea is likely spot on as usual in that for cruises less than 7 days its up to the ship. I dont remember a C&A party for Gold and up on my 5 night Radiance cruise.

Edited by ryano

This is a 5 night Liberty. Dang. RCI is getting cheaper and cheaper but costing more and more.:mad:

No cost cutting – been this way for years! Cruises less than seven nights traditionally did not have a welcome back party as part of the benefits. This is stated on the website as notation #2. Some ships doing a shorter sailing may have the top tier party but will include ALL categories of C&A members. The Monarch used to do this. As correctly noted by Bob, it is at the discretion of ship staff.

enjoy

M

No cost cutting – been this way for years! Cruises less than seven nights traditionally did not have a welcome back party as part of the benefits. This is stated on the website as notation #2. Some ships doing a shorter sailing may have the top tier party but will include ALL categories of C&A members. The Monarch used to do this. As correctly noted by Bob, it is at the discretion of ship staff.

enjoy

M

The first return trip was on Freedom and they had one then the next two 4 nighters on Monarch had them. I just ASSUMED...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

By this statement I'm thinking you must not be a long time cruiser. ;)

Nope. This will be our fifth.

Poppydawg - Not sure when you started sailing?

Take a look back 25 years and you will see that the price of cruising has dramatically dropped as it has become more mass market. 25 years ago, we had 2 adults/2 children in an OV cabin ( there were no balcony cabins back then) and it was about 5 grand for the week. That is not in today’s dollars, but in the price of things 25 years ago. Cruising WAS expensive. The experience was very different. Different clientele, different offerings, much fewer options. You had dinner in the dinning room, and you dressed up. Don’t want to dress, you could have a sandwich in the cafeteria ( Windjammer). No specialty restaurants, ice rink, etc., several shows a night, no my time anything.

Today we have a more diverse clientele, many more options and so much variety we can’t fit it all in a week. Not saying one is better than the other, just different, and now MUCH cheaper.

The cruise lines, like any business, must find that fine line between a good product, customer satisfaction and the bottom line.

enjoy

M

The first return trip was on Freedom and they had one then the next two 4 nighters on Monarch had them. I just ASSUMED...

Freedom was 7 nights, and the Monarch had a teriffic staff who opened the party for all categories.

As you continue to sail, you will find that an experience on one ship, might not transfer to another. Or, you might even find that an experience on a particular ship is not repeated the next time you sail that same ship.

You are lucky that you sailed two of the ships that provide ( or provided) the best experience for passengers.

enjoy future cruises. M

. Not saying one is better than the other, just different, and now MUCH cheaper.

Ive only been cruising for 5+ years and based on what ive read from those well seasoned, I dont think i would have enjoyed cruising 25 years ago.

I cant imagine the older ships were very accessible either.

Ive only been cruising for 5+ years and based on what ive read from those well seasoned, I dont think i would have enjoyed cruising 25 years ago.

I cant imagine the older ships were very accessible either.

Think of flying 40 years ago and flying today. Last night we caught a few minutes of the movie Airport. I think it was from 1970. All the men were in suits and the ladies in dresses and high heels. Imagine that today.

I am certain you are correct about the accessibility on older ships. Some things do change for the better.

M

If you aren't doing anything go for a quick look. A drink or two. Sometimes there are nibbles at the top tier. We enjoy them. It is a nice opportunity to see what levels some of the cruisers are at now.

There can be a bit of a sales pitch, but from the way people debate here about any little thing they think might happen, well you can go to one of these events and you might hear something changing that is actually happening!

What is the top tier and welcome back parties? I generally ignore the invitations when they come...maybe i shouldn't?:confused:

Each is a reception with complimentary drinks, and some officers will talk about the company, future plans, etc. The top tier usually has snacks too. Sometimes the top tier includes some sort of performance too. The did a special ice show on Voyager. I believe Allure had some of the Chicago singers sing some songs.

On our recent Christmas cruise we received an invitation to a C&A party for all returning members and also an invitation as Emerald status (don't know which groups this invitation involved). We didn't bring any type of dressy clothes so didn't make it to either party. We'll definitely be bringing one dressier type outfit for our April cruise! :)

While I readily admit that we don't always attend, in all the receptions I've been to I've never felt that it was a sales pitch. I wouldn't construe recognizing the top cruiser, talking about the company, and answering guest questions to be a sales pitch. Maybe I missed the sales pitch part. :confused:

On our recent Christmas cruise we received an invitation to a C&A party for all returning members and also an invitation as Emerald status (don't know which groups this invitation involved). We didn't bring any type of dressy clothes so didn't make it to either party. We'll definitely be bringing one dressier type outfit for our April cruise! :)

What is the proper attire for these events?