Condado Beach vs Isla Verde

jojokay

We've booked a hotel post-cruise in Condado Beach area. Trying to decide if we want to book pre-cruise hotel in same area or find a place in Isla Verde I would really appreciate input about the two different areas..pros and cons of each. Thanks!

We've booked a hotel post-cruise in Condado Beach area. Trying to decide if we want to book pre-cruise hotel in same area or find a place in Isla Verde I would really appreciate input about the two different areas..pros and cons of each. Thanks!

I think the beaches are calmer and wider in Isla Verde. The waves were pretty rough the few times I've stayed in Condado. There is a nice protected beach area at the very end of Condado before you cross over the bridge into Old San Juan. It is directly next to the Conrad Condado Plaza. That is where I like to stay in Condado.

I've visited the beach for a day trip in Isla Verde, but never stayed in a resort there to compare.

The ocean-front side of the Conrad is rocky, but the grounds are quite nice and the protected beach is adjacent to the property. There are some nice shops and restaurants on the premises and within easy walking distance. It has three swimming pools, one with a swim-up bar and another salt water pool. You can choose rooms on the ocean-side or stay across the steet on the lagoon side. The lagoon side rooms are very quiet if you are in a room overlooking the lagoon. If you get a city-view room, it can be noisy because they overlook the main road through Condado and there are often patrons of the bar coming and going. They have a nice view of the ships in port, though.

Here is a picture of the protected beach in Condado, next to the Conrad Condado Plaza:

OldSanJuanMarch312012036-1.jpg

The rocky oceanfront at the Conrad- there are some sandy beaches in Condado, though.

CaribbeanPrincess2012210.jpg

Isla Verde is nearer to the airport so easy for your flight home.

The beaches are much better in Isla Verde and there are a number of beautiful hotels. Isle Verde is further from Old San Juan so perhaps deciding where you wish to have dinner might be a factor in making your choice.

There are some excellent restaurants both areas.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the info. What hotels do you recommend in Isle Verde?

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott - Isla Verde Beach one night pre-cruise in May 2013 and would recommend it. Check in was at 3:00PM but our room was ready when we arrived at 12:45PM, so we had the whole afternoon to enjoy the beach. Checkout is at noon but we checked out at 11:30 since we wanted to get to the ship, check-in, then spend some time at the forts. We had no problem getting a cab. They were waiting outside and a hotel employee went and got us one. It was about 15 - 20 minutes from the hotel to the ship. The hotel is also about five minutes from the airport.

Having been to both beaches several times I must say our favorite is Isla Verde. I would not book an excursion going to either beach. This can be done fairly easily by taking either a bus or taxi to the beach. I would take the bus to the beach and taxi back. The bus station is near the cruise terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info. What hotels do you recommend in Isle Verde?

The hotels seem to be a bit cheaper on the Isla Verde side. The streets are busier but the hotels are less $.

We have stayed on both sides. On the Isla Verde side, we normally stay at either the Embassy Suites or the Hampton Inn (free breakfasts and happy hour at night).

You will get different opinions I'm sure. We actually preferred staying in the Condado, we stayed at the Hilton Plaza and enjoyed the walk down to all the outdoor bars and restaurants.

In Isla Verde we have stayed at the Intercontinental and the Courtyard. Both were nice hotels but we found we liked the neighborhood better in Condado.