Getaway Questions: Ask 'Em Here!

I was able to watch the ship come in! Awesome experience!

Here is one of my videos

http://www.yo**be.com/watch?v=xRCo0pwLKOk

Here are some pics I took!

Feel free to use them with the appropriate credit!

get06.jpg

Water Cannon Salute!

get05.jpg

People out on the front of the boat!

get04.jpg

The luxurious front-facing balconies!

get03.jpg

Full frontal view with Miami in the background!

get02.jpg

Ropes Course!

get01.jpg

Headed to dock at her new terminal for the first time!

Edited by guimiami

I don't know specifically, but I'd assume they're in order of when they'll take place. They might vary by sailing, though, so check your Freestyle Daily. :)

Ashley, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks for all your reports. It looks like the Facebook links aren't working? I'm getting this error message, within the Facebook frame:

"This content is currently unavailable.

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."

If I go to that Facebook profile page, I can see one album that has 95 photos of Getaway's menus, but no others. Is it possible you need to change the privacy settings for the other albums so they are publicly visible?

Thanks!

Ashley,

My daughter and grandchildren are sailing on the Getaway and I was thinking of purchasing onboard credits as a gift to cover her expenses while onboard. They already have their gratuities prepaid, and I'm wondering how this works. Once I purchase the onboard credits, does that show up when she goes to the counter to register? If I purchase a good amount of onboard credits, would she still be required to give a credit card at the counter? Thank you!

Hello again,

To be more specific, I'm told there will be the following themes on Getaway sailings:

Norwegians Night Out

Latin Night

70's Party

80's Party (with fireworks)

Glow

Dancing With the Stars

For St. Patrick's Day, I'm told there are generally some pool deck games and drink specials, but I still haven't heard anything official about the party I mentioned earlier. If I hear anything else, I'll update you.

Thanks so much for answering all of our questions. Greatly appreciated. If you hear anything else please let us know. Thanks again.

Thinking about takign a cruise out of NYC this April - I know, it's last minute....but what will the temps be like? I will be traveling with me, my husband and my 7 and 5 year old sons. Would like HONEST feedback. We want to go somewhere that we don't have to fly to, or go through customs :)

progress.gif

Thinking about takign a cruise out of NYC this April - I know, it's last minute....but what will the temps be like? I will be traveling with me, my husband and my 7 and 5 year old sons. Would like HONEST feedback. We want to go somewhere that we don't have to fly to, or go through customs :)

progress.gif

Hey there,

If you leave in April, it will likely be chilly until the ship gets close to its destination (which will be the Caribbean, Bermuda or Bahamas, depending on when in April you go). As for customs, you'll still have to go through it, even if you don't fly. (It has to do with things like being in international waters, stopping in foreign ports of call and having the opportunity to purchase duty-free items.)

Thanks for all your reports. It looks like the Facebook links aren't working? I'm getting this error message, within the Facebook frame:

"This content is currently unavailable.

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."

If I go to that Facebook profile page, I can see one album that has 95 photos of Getaway's menus, but no others. Is it possible you need to change the privacy settings for the other albums so they are publicly visible?

Thanks!

What Facebook page? Sorry, I'm scrolling around and can't find the link, but I want to see the menus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh dear. Sorry about that. Were you logged in when you tried to access it? I've changed the privacy settings to "public" (they were at "friends"), so that was probably the issue.

Full album: https://www.facebook.com/friendsofcruisecritic/media_set?set=a.10101476950835536.1025934674&type=3

Menus only: https://www.facebook.com/friendsofcruisecritic/media_set?set=a.10201926160288727.1073741827.1025934674&type=3

Please let me know if it works.

First time cruiser on NCL.

1) Do they provide Beach Towels? or do we take our Bath towels there.

2) Where and how much is the laundry? Do they provide detergent or do I need to carry it.

Thanks,

Hi there,

They do provide beach towels. There's a stand on the pool deck.

There are no self-service laundry facilities onboard. They do have dry-cleaning services, though. I'll see if I can get you a price list for that.

Hi. Ashley, thanks for taking time to answer questions. I read that the is a place on deck 13 specifically for 10 to 12 year olds as part of kids program. Is this correct?

No problem! Splash Academy (the kids club) does have special facilities for "Dolphins" (ages 10-12). Their specific area is on Deck 13, right above the area for the younger kids, but there are entrances on Decks 12 (via a set of funky stairs just beyond the sign-in desk) and 13 if I remember correctly. Here are a few photos that might be of use.

1901651_10101476924508296_947291814_n.jpg

1506857_10101476924463386_253180334_n.jpg

1554561_10101476924558196_1979999470_n.jpg

1229859_10101477007941096_1842487806_n.jpg

1622176_10101477007990996_408245954_n.jpg

Ashley,

My daughter and grandchildren are sailing on the Getaway and I was thinking of purchasing onboard credits as a gift to cover her expenses while onboard. They already have their gratuities prepaid, and I'm wondering how this works. Once I purchase the onboard credits, does that show up when she goes to the counter to register? If I purchase a good amount of onboard credits, would she still be required to give a credit card at the counter? Thank you!

Hello,

Cruise Critic's news editor, Dori, travels with Norwegian a lot, and she's dealt with the OBC situation on some of her cruises. She tells me that it's likely you'll need your daughter's booking number in order to either call Norwegian or go online to purchase the credit for her. (You might be able to call and just give the names of the people on the reservation if you can't obtain the number.)

The credit won't show up on her account prior to the cruise, nor will it show up when she gets to the counter. What will likely happen is that she'll receive a note in her cabin after she's onboard telling her about the credit. By the time she gets the note, the credit will have been added to her account.

She will still be required to link her onboard card with a credit card or cash deposit, as onboard credit can't be used for all purchases. (It can be used for most, but some things are excluded.)

I'd say your best bet is to see if you can obtain the booking number and call Norwegian directly. Their contact info is on this page: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=145.

Ashley,

Thank you so much for the information. What a mistake that would've been! I do have her booking number, and figured that by purchasing a certain amount in onboard credits, that she would be set for her expenses onboard. I do see on the NCL website, that they now offer a gift card, an actual card you receive in the mail. Would my daughter be able to present the gift card at the registration counter for her onboard expenses? Again, thank you soooooo much for the info on the onboard credit!!

Ashley,

I know that everyone gets a key card for entry into staterooms, making purchases, etc., however, is their any way to restrict charging privileges on children's cards? Also, for the pre-teens and teens, is there an amount limit that one can place on their individual cards as to spending, or will the money they spend be automatically charged to the parent's card?

Also, do you know if there are walkie-talkies that can be leased while onboard? The ship is enormous and I don't think you can use your cell phone to reach your wandering family members because of high roaming charges. Is there a way that people can connect with each other while onboard?

Thank you, as always!

Hi all,

I'll be sailing on Norwegian Getaway on the Jan. 27-29 cruise to nowhere out of New York. While onboard, I'll also be attending a Q&A session. I haven't been told who, exactly, will be on the panel yet, but I assume there will be some NCL execs. If there's something you're dying to know, post it below, and I'll do my best to get as many questions answered as I can. (Please try to keep them Getaway related.)

Thanks!

Hi Ashley. My wife and I just booked the Getaway for August. Thanks for all the pictures. Could tell me about the pool area. Are there places to find chaises in the shade, other than using the Vibe. Thanks Alan

Also, do you know if there are walkie-talkies that can be leased while onboard? The ship is enormous and I don't think you can use your cell phone to reach your wandering family members because of high roaming charges. Is there a way that people can connect with each other while onboard?

Thank you, as always!

Iconcierge will do what you want. Download the app and pay the fee (about $8 I think, but I haven't paid it myself), and then you can text or call using the app. It uses the ship wifi so no roaming costs.