Getaway Questions: Ask 'Em Here!

I had read on one of the dailies from the first sailing that it's possible to make reservations for the main dining rooms, (Taste, Savor, and Tropicana). For some reason I was under the impression with Free Style dining that you just show up. Does anyone know if it's better to make a reservation or just show up? I will be traveling with a party of 8. Hopefully we will be able to agree where to eat in time to even make a reservation! I'm not much of a cruiser and have never sailed on NCL, so I'm a bit unsure here.

thanks,

Karen

I had read on one of the dailies from the first sailing that it's possible to make reservations for the main dining rooms, (Taste, Savor, and Tropicana). For some reason I was under the impression with Free Style dining that you just show up. Does anyone know if it's better to make a reservation or just show up? I will be traveling with a party of 8. Hopefully we will be able to agree where to eat in time to even make a reservation! I'm not much of a cruiser and have never sailed on NCL, so I'm a bit unsure here.

thanks,

Karen

Hi there, I was confused about this at first too :D. Yes, you can most definitely just show up! However, the idea is that you can make a reservation *if you want to* to help reduce potential wait times. It is very possible that you never have to wait, even just showing up with a party of 8. Then again, freestyle could present a challenge for example, and this is totally hypothetical (and unrealistic :D), if a ship is sold out and everyone decides to just show up in one and the same MDR, chances are there will be a wait. I am sure that you realize that this will never happen. The reservation option is just to make your life possibly easier.

Oh, and for certain things, like when there is live music in the evening at the Tropicana Room or a demonstration of the Burn the Floor show, it might make sense to get a reservation. Otherwise, I have never seen anyone have trouble finding a table in the MDR's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by dtchgrl618

Does anyone know if the forward Haven suites ended up with the enclosed balcony as shown in this pic of the external of one of them on deck 13?

Granted that suite sells for less than the others (save the insides that overlook the Haven area), but when I see that pic I scratch my head. I realize that due to the position under the bridge the balcony it may need to be that way (structural support), but for what that room costs it is rather disappointing.

Wil they provide the use of an iron in the room for an hour or so?

No. The have a press only service available. We use it every sailing. I find the prices to be pretty reasonable. Usually men's shirts are around $2.75. As soon as we get out luggage I take out the piece that need pressing for the wk and leave it for steward. They are usually back the next day.

Hi there, I was confused about this at first too :D. Yes, you can most definitely just show up! However, the idea is that you can make a reservation *if you want to* to help reduce potential wait times. It is very possible that you never have to wait, even just showing up with a party of 8. Then again, freestyle could present a challenge for example, and this is totally hypothetical (and unrealistic :D), if a ship is sold out and everyone decides to just show up in one and the same MDR, chances are there will be a wait. I am sure that you realize that this will never happen. The reservation option is just to make your life possibly easier.

Oh, and for certain things, like when there is live music in the evening at the Tropicana Room or a demonstration of the Burn the Floor show, it might make sense to get a reservation. Otherwise, I have never seen anyone have trouble finding a table in the MDR's.

Thanks for your reply.

Karen

Wil they provide the use of an iron in the room for an hour or so?

I've found that if I hang up what's wrinkled and turn the hot shower on that usually takes care of the problem. Also, another trick is to bring clothespins and clothespin the item to your balcony chair. The moister from the air removes wrinkles.

I *believe* you can bring a travel size hand held steamer. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Harriet

What time do they start letting you on the ship? I would like to get Vibe Passes and I learn that they sell out quickly. I'd hate to miss out, but don't want to sit and wait in vain. TIA. Counting the hours 3/1 sailing.

Motion Sickness - anyone experience it on The Getaway? Any recommendations on prevention? Dramamine? Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year, we took the Breakaway out of New York in September.

For the first time, I took ginger capsules with me.

They worked GREAT!

Are the spa balcony cabins safe for kids. I'm traveling with my 5 year old and am feeling a bit nervous about this...

I would take my 4-1/2 year gandson in a heartbeat... but, my son and daughter-in-law have their own fear of ships in general.:rolleyes: If your 5 year old is a climber and/or very adventerous, then maybe you have reason to be extra cautious in the cabin and on the balcony. Otherwise, there is no more danger than in a hotel, or other place, with which your child is unfamiliar.