Solstice Live: Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Many Pix’s, Jan. 20-Feb. 3

TLCOhio

This posting from our adventure "down under" just went over 80,000 views. That's averaging about 9,000 views a month. Appreciate those who have dropped by and especially to those who have asked good questions, posted added info/experiences, etc. Keep it coming!! Happy to share more.

From the Sidney Morning Herald newspaper in Australia late last month, they have this headline: "Ships ahoy: record-breaking cruise season begins". It is the start of another big cruising season for Australia and New Zealand.

Here are some of their story highlights: "As daylight broke over Sydney on Monday, the Carnival Legend sailed between the Heads for the first time, signalling the start of what is expected to be a record-breaking season. The vessel is the first of at least 290 cruise ships to visit Sydney this summer, up from 119 visits five years ago. Ann Sherry, chief executive of Carnival Cruises, recalled a stagnant, 'very, very small' industry in Australia, with 'a couple of ships' and 100,000 passengers a year. In 2006, the industry sought to kill off the boozy image, cater to families and couples and, with any luck, grow to a million Australian passengers by 2020. At its rate of expansion, it is set to reach that milestone next year. The number has grown by 20 per cent a year for 11 years in a row, hitting 833,348 last year."

Full story at:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ships-ahoy-recordbreaking-cruise-season-begins-20140922-10k8rn.html

We are now fully booked and paid up for our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silversea Silver Cloud. Will plan on doing a live/blog from visiting these parts of the world. Think that I can get any interesting pictures when visiting these areas?

And, as a couple of pictures below show, we had visitors from Serbia last month. Been invited by them to visit there. Serbia has the scenic Danube River running through it, including when this famed river passes through its capital of Belgrade. Don't know when we will be able to visit Serbia, but it is definitely on our future to-do list.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 185,485 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From Sept. 18-21 in Columbus, Ohio, we had two visiting members of the Parliament of Serbia staying at our home. Here are two of the National Assembly members, including the Vice Speaker on the right side of the first picture, having Saturday night dinner with my wife and me. College football is on in the background. Fun and interesting experience!!! We have not, yet, been to Serbia, but we visited in June 2011 both neighboring Croatia and Montenegro. Loved both countries and their super historic and scenic areas of Dubrovnik, Kotor, etc. The second picture shows my wife getting an update on family pictures of his children in Serbia from his computer tablet.:

SerbDinner9-20A2_zpsa66735be.jpg

SerbDinner9-20A1_zps288aa5c8.jpg

From the New York Times travel section coming tomorrow/Sunday morning, they have this headline: "New Zealand for Beginners" with these highlights: "What I knew about New Zealand could fit on a bubble gum wrapper. 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit' had been filmed here — check. The All Blacks, its national rugby team, was a global powerhouse — check 2. I also knew thrill seekers came here to jump out of gondolas and off bridges attached to a bungee cord and also relished snowboarding and skiing off ramps and in half-pipes."

Their writer was more focused on sports, especially the extreme type, including winter thrills. BUT, there are lots of pictures in and around Queenstown and other details that bring back nice, wonderful memories for us from these thrilling and interesting areas of the South Island that we visited earlier this year.

Here's a cute and lovely segment from this writer to describe these spectacular areas: "On a postcard or from a well-fortified scenic lookout, the mountain range looks brushstroked by Michelangelo with the snowcaps a celestial white and bathed in golden light." He also said in his praise: "I will join the chorus of travelers and tell you that the landscapes of New Zealand are magnificent. They are enchanted and ethereal but also forbidding and intimidating."

So true!! We loved New Zealand. Wanted to share this background here. Glad that I have lots of picture on this live/blog to prove our viewpoint for enjoying New Zealand so very much.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/travel/new-zealand-for-beginners.html?ref=travel&_r=0#

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these recent updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 25,337 views for this posting.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... Terry... what a awesome post of info and pics. Like many others responding, you out did yourself and I'm glad your still posting even after nearly a year since your trip! My wife and I will be going back to NZ (we got married in Queenstown 10 years ago) on the Jan 4 2015 reverse trip & wanted to know about your camera/lens set-up...did you have just the one zoom to go with your 7100? would a 300mm zoom be an advantage to bring? I'm more into landscape/architectural photography but want to travel as light as possible. Thanks again!

Brad

Wow... Terry... what a awesome post of info and pics. Like many others responding, you out did yourself and I'm glad your still posting even after nearly a year since your trip! My wife and I will be going back to NZ (we got married in Queenstown 10 years ago) on the Jan 4 2015 reverse trip & wanted to know about your camera/lens set-up...did you have just the one zoom to go with your 7100? would a 300mm zoom be an advantage to bring? I'm more into landscape/architectural photography but want to travel as light as possible. Thanks again! Brad

ibfishing2: TLCOhio. Just found this Thread. Had to bookmark so I could read your review. Your reviews are always interesting and full of information.

Appreciate these kind comments and the good questions on on cameras' date=' lenses, etc. [b']Like Brad's use of the word "awesome"[/b]. Will follow-up with more info later today on the photo suggestions/insights.

From The Local, an English-languague newspaper in Norway, and other publications yesterday, they have this headline: "Norway is world's most prosperous country". Good news for Norway, but "most prosperous" also means this great country can be expensive to visit with higher labor costs, etc. As noted in the below live/blog, we super enjoyed our visits there in both 2008 and 2010.

New Zealand moved to third place, up two spots from 2013. Australia was seventh. Congratulations to these various "Winners"!!

Among the story highlights were: "Legatum Institute's 2014 Prosperity Index ranked Norway as the most prosperous country in the world, with Switzerland at number two on the list. The rankings are based on eight variables of a country's prosperity performance: Economy, Entrepreneurship, Governance, Education, Personal freedom, Health, Security and Social capital". New Zealand was ranked first in the world for "personal freedom" and second for both "governance" and "social capital". Australia was ranked first in the world for "education" and third for "personal freedom". From what we enjoyed earlier this year, we can understand these high rankings for both wonderful countries!!

Here is the full listing of the top twenty: 1 Norway, 2 Switzerland, 3 New Zealand, 4 Denmark, 5 Canada, 6 Sweden, 7 Australia, 8 Finland, 9 Netherlands, 10 United States, 11 Iceland, 12 Ireland, 13 United Kingdom, 14 Germany, 15 Austria, 16 Luxembourg, 17 Belgium, 18 Singapore, 19 Japan and 20 Hong Kong. Russia slipped to Europe's worst performing country in 68th place. In some UK publications, there was prideful notation of the British moving ahead of Germany based on this index/report.

Full story at:

http://www.thelocal.no/20141103/norway-is-worlds-most-prosperous-country

For more complete data with this complete report and its details, you can check at:

http://www.prosperity.com/#!/ranking

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 162,188 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Wow... Terry... what a awesome post of info and pics. Like many others responding, you out did yourself and I'm glad your still posting even after nearly a year since your trip! My wife and I will be going back to NZ (we got married in Queenstown 10 years ago) on the Jan 4 2015 reverse trip & wanted to know about your camera/lens set-up...did you have just the one zoom to go with your 7100? would a 300mm zoom be an advantage to bring? I'm more into landscape/architectural photography but want to travel as light as possible. Thanks again! Brad

Sorry to Brad for my delay in following up to your good photo questions. Was busy with work/media things this past week. BUT, getting caught up now on a nice, sunny day in Ohio after our OSU Buckeyes whipped Michigan State last night on national TV.

Great to hear of your wonderful connections with getting married in Queenstown. Loved those spectacular NZ South Island areas and their whole country, etc. So glad that we did the ship's overnight Queenstown excursion. Worked so well and was completely amazing!!

YES, serious trade-offs on traveling "light" . . . versus . . . having ALL of the camera equipment you might desire to have with you.

From this Aust-NZ-Hawaii trip experience, the main lens used was the very good Nikkor 18-140mm lens that came with the Nikon D7100 purchased right before this adventure trip. Great range and quality with this 18-140mm lens. This includes shooting "RAW" so that you could zoom in, crop, etc., as needed, on my laptop MacBook Pro computer. I also generally carried my 10-20mm zoom wide angle (purchased in 2008 before doing Russia) and a 55-300mm Nikkor lens (obtained in 2010 before Italy/Croatian Coast). I did not use these other two lenses that much, BUT, when needed, they both were handy and very helpful to have. For this trip, I also brought along a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens that was faster and very good for food/dining visuals, etc. I did not carry this lens on my various port day trips.

You noted you are "more into landscape/architectural photography". Great! BUT, I have found in my experiences, plus in attending four different photo seminars with National Geographic photo pro's, that getting the "human element" into the visuals makes things much more interesting. Some of my most meaningful pictures involve both the human "context" and/or element.

Let me know any other questions, needs, interests, etc. Keep it coming!!

We are now at only 77 days until our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silversea Silver Cloud. Fun doing that future research and planning, but need to finalize a new Passport, Brazil Visa, etc.!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 187,726 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

did you post a review of your cruise and info on ports visited. We are taking th Celebrity cruise from Sidney to Auckland Jan. 27, 2015.

I´ll be at the same cruise on the Solstice. In this live blog Terry gave lots of information on the ship and the ports. I agree it requires several evenings to read it all but: it´s fun! and made me looking forward to our trip even more.

Edited by AntjeG

• 1 month later...
I´ll be at the same cruise on the Solstice. In this live blog Terry gave lots of information on the ship and the ports. I agree it requires several evenings to read it all but: it´s fun! and made me looking forward to our trip even more.

Appreciate these nice comments and interest. Good luck to those sailing in and around wonderful New Zealand and Australia during this coming new year.

From the Telegraph newspaper in London, they had this headline earlier this month: "New Zealand named world’s best country". Here are some of the story highlights: "New Zealand was announced as Telegraph readers’ favourite country, with votes cast by almost 90,000 people. Ben Ross, Telegraph Travel’s head of print, writes: 'One thing remains constant, the abiding love that Telegraph readers have for one country: New Zealand. Perhaps it’s because New Zealand is a country that delivers almost everything a traveller could want in one easy-to-use package. This is a place where British tourists can enjoy the thrill of long-haul travel, coupled with the reassurance of being greeted in our native tongue - albeit spoken with that characteristic twang. It also thrusts dramatic scenery at us, wherever we turn.' "

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/australiaandpacific/newzealand/11279529/New-Zealand-named-worlds-best-country-prime-minister-welcomes-Telegraph-award.html

It's true on loving award-winning NZ, its people, beauty, etc.!!

We are now at only 27 days until we fly out to Barbados to start our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silversea Silver Cloud. We have finalizes a new Passport, Brazil Visa, various medical shots, etc.!!

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 44,906 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We are now at only 27 days until we fly out to Barbados to start our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silversea Silver Cloud.

Terry, enjoy your cruise. I am already looking forward to your review/trip report. For me it´s less than 2 weeks until I start my pre-cruise sightseeing in Australia. Thanks again for the inspiration and the wonderful photos in this blog.

From the Telegraph newspaper in London, they had this headline earlier this month: "New Zealand named world’s best country". Here are some of the story highlights: "New Zealand was announced as Telegraph readers’ favourite country, with votes cast by almost 90,000 people. Ben Ross, Telegraph Travel’s head of print, writes: 'One thing remains constant, the abiding love that Telegraph readers have for one country: New Zealand. Perhaps it’s because New Zealand is a country that delivers almost everything a traveller could want in one easy-to-use package. This is a place where British tourists can enjoy the thrill of long-haul travel, coupled with the reassurance of being greeted in our native tongue - albeit spoken with that characteristic twang. It also thrusts dramatic scenery at us, wherever we turn.'

Telegraph readers are people of discerning distinction. Having been born and bred here in NZ it just confirms why our fabulous country is commonly known as "GODZOWN"

Telegraph readers are people of discerning distinction. Having been born and bred here in NZ it just confirms why our fabulous country is commonly known as "GODZOWN"

AntjeG: Terry' date=' enjoy your cruise. I am already looking forward to your review/trip report. For me it´s less than 2 weeks until I start my pre-cruise sightseeing in Australia. Thanks again for the[b'] inspiration and the wonderful photos in this blog[/b].

Appreciate these two above nice follow-ups and comments. It's getting closer and closer for our late January 2015 adventure in the Amazon River basin, plus lots of sailing around in the Caribbean to avoid the cold the USA midwest during this time period. Will be doing a full live/blog with lots of pictures for this trip.

Yes, it's already 2015, in Australia and New Zealand. We super loved our time eleven months ago in both Sydney and Auckland, plus for so many different, excellent locations in these two wonderful countries. Loved the people, sights, history, nature, etc., there so much. Great trip. Below are three of the web visuals from a few hours ago as the new year was welcomed down under.

Happy New Year!! And best wishes for more great sailing, safe travels and exciting adventures during the upcoming twelve months.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 167,232 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

From Sydney’s famed Harbour Bridge as 2015 becomes official down under with their celebrated fireworks show. What a great way to start the new year!!:

Dec2014AA36_zps8a0b947f.jpg

In Auckland, NZ, here is how the 2015 fireworks looked off of their downtown landmark tower:

Dec2014AA39_zpsc11047ef.jpg

This Sydney visual from a few hours ago shows their iconic Opera House in the foreground!:

Dec2014AA40_zps36d51568.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry -

Hope you're still following your blog here. Wife and I are scheduled to take the Transalpine/Jet Boat tour (on the Solstice leaving Sydney on Jan. 27) while in Akaroa. That's the good news. The potentially bad news - my wife has a pretty sensitive stomach/difficulty with motion sickness. She'll be on patches and bovine, but still is concerned that this excursion may be too much for her. I've invited her to look at your wonderful photographs and narrative, but she asked me to investigate just how rough the ride is on the jet boats. Can you give any guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Terry - Hope you're still following your blog here. Wife and I are scheduled to take the Transalpine/Jet Boat tour (on the Solstice leaving Sydney on Jan. 27) while in Akaroa. That's the good news. The potentially bad news - my wife has a pretty sensitive stomach/difficulty with motion sickness. She'll be on patches and bovine, but still is concerned that this excursion may be too much for her. I've invited her to look at your wonderful photographs and narrative, but she asked me to investigate just how rough the ride is on the jet boats. Can you give any guidance? Thanks in advance!

Appreciate this good question on the JetBoat "intensity". The night before this excursion, both my wife and another female member of our group were really concerned, wringing their hands and fearful that this JetBoat ride would be way, way too much. They wanted to scrub out!! We calmed them down, did the trip and both of them super loved it. We did not observed anybody on our boat or for any of the two other crafts having any problems.

There is some "intensity"! But, it happens in very short bursts. And, nothing that I would call really bad or too much. It is mixed in with very calm, normal periods on the waters or stopped as our driver gave us added background on the area, etc. Clearly, I do not know your wife and her exact situation. Compared to some rides that I have done at Disney World and other amusement parks, I would rate this experience as fairly manageable and doable. It's thrilling, the sights are amazing, etc. Overall, I would say . . . GO FOR IT!! It was a lifetime highlight for my wife and others.

Tell me more. I am happy to share additional details, etc., for this experience and/or with any other parts of our trip.

Keep the good questions rolling along!! This posting is now over 92,000 views and I appreciate those who have tuned in, drop by, said HI!, etc. We are now a little over a week aways from our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silversea Silver Cloud.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 192,233 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi Terry,

We are planning on this next year as well. One thing I cant seem to find in all the pages is when you arrived in Dunedin from your Queenstown overnight. In other words how much time did you have to enjoy Dunedin and could you have scheduled any of the excursions assuming you wanted to.

Hi Terry, We are planning on this next year as well. One thing I cant seem to find in all the pages is when you arrived in Dunedin from your Queenstown overnight. In other words how much time did you have to enjoy Dunedin and could you have scheduled any of the excursions assuming you wanted to.

bigeck: Thanks for all the info. Great pics.

Appreciate the nice comments from bigeck. PLUS' date=' [b']the great question on Dunedin[/b] by Bob & Mickey from the home of Apple in Cupertino, CA. Writing your response on my just purchased MacBook Pro (to replace my five and a half year old model that I somewhat worn out).

From doing the Queenstown overnight, we arrived in Dunedin mid-afternoon. Our tour did a couple of stopping points in this town and we got a good over-view for its history and background. We got to see a decent "sampling" around in the downtown, see its major buildings/architecture, etc. Our major stop in Dunedin was at the historic and fancy rail station there. That was well worth the time and how it illustrated that important part of the NZ history, its gold rush wealth, etc.

Did we get shopping time there in Dunedin? No. Could we have spent more time there? Maybe. BUT, I was very happy with that sampling and time we got there. My view is that Dunedin is nice, but going to New Zealand is more about the countrysides, nature, etc. Not as much on cities. For my/our interests, we got plenty of their larger cities with Wellington and Auckland.

Clearly we did not have any time to added tours, visits in Dunedin. Then, from the main town part of Dunedin, it is about a 10-15 ride to the port area where the ship was docked. Ships do not dock directly in Dunedin.

Does this help? Any other questions or needs? Don't be shy!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,399 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

Terry,

We haven't completely planned the end of our trip yet but we are probably going to fly directly out of Auckland rather than stay over since we will be somewhat exhausted by that point.

If we do it looks like our flight will leave around 7:30PM or so at night.

Do you know if Celebrity offers an airline luggage valet to the airline aboard the ship. We have experienced this on a few other cruises where you can pay a few extra bucks and not worry.

Since we will have the full day we need to store our luggage somewhere.

Second question, You reference the O'Connell Street Bistro and gave it high marks. Was it hard to get into spur of the moment midweek or did you pre-plan and make reservations?

I only discovered this thread today and spent a few hours enjoying the journey.

We were on the Solstice the cruise before you doing the trip in reverse (Auckland to Sydney)

I am now trying to work out how to claim your great photos and pretend they were my holiday. The hard bit is photoshopping my DW and I into your pictures:D

I am glad I found this post and enjoy your future travels.

I only discovered this thread today and spent a few hours enjoying the journey. We were on the Solstice the cruise before you doing the trip in reverse (Auckland to Sydney) I am now trying to work out how to claim your great photos and pretend they were my holiday. The hard bit is photoshopping my DW and I into your pictures:D I am glad I found this post and enjoy your future travels.

Appreciate these nice comments from this Brisbane-area resident. We flew into and out of your airport, but we did not have a chance to spend any time in this part of amazing Australia.

Glad you like the posting and especially the picture. Super cute and creative in your comments about "photoshopping my DW". Getting ready to depart Saturday morning for a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days. More chances for additional fun and pictures.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 46,527 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Terry, We haven't completely planned the end of our trip yet but we are probably going to fly directly out of Auckland rather than stay over since we will be somewhat exhausted by that point. If we do it looks like our flight will leave around 7:30PM or so at night. Do you know if Celebrity offers an airline luggage valet to the airline aboard the ship. We have experienced this on a few other cruises where you can pay a few extra bucks and not worry. Since we will have the full day we need to store our luggage somewhere. Second question, You reference the O'Connell Street Bistro and gave it high marks. Was it hard to get into spur of the moment midweek or did you pre-plan and make reservations?

Glad to get these good, added follow-up questions from Bob & Mickey. I would strongly urge doing a little extra time in Auckland after you have finished your cruise. I was surprised about how well this city worked for our interests and what was nearby. Sure glad we had those extra two days there!! When you go that very, very far, then getting a little more "value" out of the airline costs and time required to get there, was so important for us.

On Celebrity and luggage, they have options to take you and tour around Auckland, get you out to the airport, etc. BUT, I assume you are looking for something more DIY and cheaper than what maybe the ship will offer. Right? Don't have a handy "vendor" to offer or suggest for storing your luggage. Some hotels might do that. There are some tour companies that could, if you are using them, where they could help on those arrangements. Which direction, set-up are you seeking or desiring?

On the O'Connell Street Bistro, they are open Monday to Friday for lunch, 11:30 am to 3:00 pm. Yes, we had advanced reservations. Smart to do that as they have a small dining room area. Loved the food here!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 26,134 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Just arrived in Barbados for the first time. Will board this afternoon for a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days. Hope to get lots of fun sunset pictures, etc. Will do a live/blog in connection with this "adventure". It has been fun sharing, getting good suggestions, comments, etc.

Below is my first such beach/sunset example. Played with several manual exposures to get the "look" that I was seeking. Automatic or program does not work well with the wild/wide range of light sources hitting your camera lens.

This posting is nearly to 95,000 views. Appreciate those who have tuned-in, asked questions, made comments, etc. Keep it coming!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,797 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

As we walked to the nearby beach late yesterday afternoon during our first visit to Barbados, here was my beach sunset picture.:

JanBarbadosA2_zpsqxdjdjd6.jpg

Your blog and photos are just incredible. Now I can't wait to read your previous trip blogs. Thanks for taking us all along on your adventures. Can't wait for the next one!!

Appreciate so much these nice and kind comments from our neighbor to the north in Canada. Here's a quick warm-up preview on my next live/blog. We had a super lovely day yesterday on Barbados and are now starting our Amazon River-Caribbean combo adventure over 26 days on the Silversea Silver Cloud. WOW in so many different ways!!

Below are just a few quick visual samples as "evidence". Got to have PROOF in today's world, right? We have a busy two days for today and tomorrow in Bequia/St. Vincent & the Grenadines and St. George's, Grenada. I will be starting and fully posting a more detailed live/blog with lots and lots of visuals. BUT, that might not be commenced until our first sea day. Lots more details to be featured.

The quick ship report is that there are only 179 passengers on-board for this 17-day sailing with three island stops on the way to and 900 miles up the famed Amazon River. Then, back this famed waterway and returning to Barbados on Feb. 11. Lots of super nice passengers on this ship. The two biggest groups of passengers are from the USA and the UK. Compared to the potential ship maximum capacity of 296 passengers, the crew of 222 will be able to give us great service and attention. We have felt and experience that wonderful level of friendly attention in just our short time time yesterday.

The Internet sign-on worked very well. It's early morning and crew are around polishing things up, getting the pool filed, etc.

Here was the lead headline in our Columbus newspaper this morning: "Falling snow, temperatures make roads slippery, delaying classes" with these details: "As snow blanketed central Ohio early today, temperatures were falling well below freezing, making roads treacherous and prompting many school districts to delay the start of Monday classes." Are we in the right place now?

It's a little after 6 am and the sun is getting read to rise! Seeing some of the islands as we sail and I enjoy the Panorama Lounge. Got fresh orange juice! What can be better? More fun to come?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,840 views.

We started late morning in Barbados with a private cab driver giving us a wonderful three-hour plus tour of this amazing and very interesting island He shared so many details, we asked lots of questions, learns so much, etc. Loved this beach as this picture with my wife shows/proves. Next is an example for some of the island “wildlife” running around on the grounds of their national history museum. Cute monkeys, right? Finally, we went all of the way up to the top of the island where the Caribbean and Atlantic meet with wonderful drama. Great view with my wife and me?:

Jan15SCStartA6_zpsh2xtpaw3.jpg

Jan15SCStartA4_zps8c266hry.jpg

Jan15SCStartA5_zpsouaftaok.jpg

Our first dinner on the Silver Cloud? Here are just three quick samples to prove that we did not go hungry. Lovely white wine from Chile. Two wonderful items before the main dinner dish of pork. Great service!! Chatted with both the Hotel Director and Bar/Beverage Manager before our dinner. Off to a great start.:

Jan15SCStartA3_zpsctq5s9vp.jpg

Jan15SCStartA1_zpscidwdous.jpg

Jan15SCStartA2_zps6z10me5j.jpg