Waterproof or Water Resistant

Lorey2007

I see many spring water resistant jackets out now. If I get one and wear it with a long sleeve or fleece vest will that be sufficient? Don't really want to buy something just for Alaska that I will never wear again. We'll be there last week of August first week of September.

weather in Alaska is iffy. Early Sept can be warm & dry and 75, but it's also the beginning of fall storms so it could windy and rainy and 45.

If you don't want to buy a waterproof jacket, buy a rain poncho that you can easily carry in a daypack in case you need it.

I bought a TOTE's poncho for $6-$7 that's a cut above the $1 see-thru ones; it's permanently in my daypack for every trip I take.

weather in Alaska is iffy. Early Sept can be warm & dry and 75, but it's also the beginning of fall storms so it could windy and rainy and 45.

If you don't want to buy a waterproof jacket, buy a rain poncho that you can easily carry in a daypack in case you need it.

I bought a TOTE's poncho for $6-$7 that's a cut above the $1 see-thru ones; it's permanently in my daypack for every trip I take.

Thanks I'll look in to the Tote's I would like one with snaps instead of the pull over type. Silly question what's a daypack?

Thanks I'll look in to the Tote's I would like one with snaps instead of the pull over type. Silly question what's a daypack?

a small backpack. Handy for carrying your wallet, camera, binoculars, tickets, gloves, snacks, etc. Plus in Alaska you need to layer your clothing. If the day warms up, put your jacket in the pack instead of carrying it around with you.

Edited by mapleleaves

I really suggest waterPROOF with a hood.

The hood is very important. We went the same time as you in 2012. We had a couple of good days and a couple of days it really rained. The rest were misty, gray and pretty cool.

At the Hubbard glacier it was pouring and freezing. Our traveling companions had hats, gloves, etc and jackets. DH and I had rain jackets with hoods. They kept the water from going down our backs in the rain. We were able to stay on deck for prime viewing longer.

A couple of days it was very windy. The hoods were good for that, too.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I see many spring water resistant jackets out now. If I get one and wear it with a long sleeve or fleece vest will that be sufficient? Don't really want to buy something just for Alaska that I will never wear again. We'll be there last week of August first week of September.

Why would you never wear it again? A good rain jacket is worthwhile anywhere, unless you live in the desert, but your profile says you are in Michigan, so surely it rains there too. You may find that you get more use out of it than you think! :)

Take a look at Frogg Toggs:

http://www.froggtoggs.com/womens/suits.html

I brought one of their inexpensive, lightweight, waterproof rain suits to Alaska last May. Glad I did on that drizzly cool day walking through the rain forest at Icy Strait Point! The jacket and pants are unlined and thin, so you need to wear layers underneath. On other excursions I stuffed them into a daypack just in case. Wore the jacket on deck while viewing the Hubbard Glacier.

I brought the suit on my Galapagos Island cruise, too. Also great for camping trips, and gardening in the rain.

Why would you never wear it again? A good rain jacket is worthwhile anywhere, unless you live in the desert, but your profile says you are in Michigan, so surely it rains there too. You may find that you get more use out of it than you think! :)

Well, I live in the desert, and I can attest that we do indeed need the occasional rain jacket. ;)