I am Sailing with a friend. I'm 17, he is 18

qman12341

I still can't understand your logic in the least. A LOT of seniors turn 18 during their senior year. My own step son was held back a year (TOTAL lack of attention to school work in first grade-MUCH more interested in sports) and actually turned 19 in May 29 of his senior year.

15 year old sophomores become 16 year old sophomores sometimes very early depending on how schools allows kids into school. My dear departed DH was born on Halloween, 1950. He had to pass a test to be was allowed in with the rest of his normal age group. So he was only 4 when he entered kindergarten and for the next two months. He was always one of the youngest, as was I.

SO you are still stating that my stepson, who was the star of just about every sport they had in high school, turned down well over 14 scholarships for baseball, 11 for wrestling and 9 for football (finally decided to go to University of Iowa on a full ride scholarship) WOULD NOT be allowed to date your 16 year old daughter while both were still in high school???

And my niece, who went to an uppity, uppity private school, has a Mensa IQ and skipped both 4th and 6th grades which made her a 12 yo going on 13 year old Freshman in HS was not allowed to date until she was almost 15. By then she was so far ahead scholastically, emotionally and mental maturity that the seniors in HS were just BORING. She had a VERY lonely junior year in HS until her older brother (with permission from her DAD started allowing her to go out with some of her older brothers friends). She blossomed. She graduated University of Colorado with a degree in Poly Sci and just finished her MBA at Wharton last spring. She has recently taken the tests to go to work for State, FBI, CIA (her dream-clandestine service) and Stratfor which would have her traveling all over the world at the very young age of 23. Did it hurt her to go out with older guys? Heck no, it was a definite learning experience to find out what she liked, who she didn't like and what kind of potential situations she MIGHT find herself in that were not to her liking and how to get out of them without calling Mommy or Daddy.

Talk about over protective and not allowing children to learn. IF the FUNDAMENTALS have been taught since day one, you obviously don't trust your children to do the right things.

No I said that our daughters could NOT date UNTIL they were 16. Once they WERE 16 they could date. My kids my rules. Your kids your rules. Go figure.

I was 15 and dated a boy that had graduated, he turned 18 a few weeks after we started dating. I was told not to see him so I did it anyway sneaking around and eventually running away and getting married. We have been happily married 26 years. Nothing would have kept us apart. When our kids became teenagers we knew to never say never and negotiate what we could live with and not push stuff underground. Kids will find a way around you if you won't work with them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was 15 and dated a boy that had graduated, he turned 18 a few weeks after we started dating. I was told not to see him so I did it anyway sneaking around and eventually running away and getting married. We have been happily married 26 years. Nothing would have kept us apart. When our kids became teenagers we knew to never say never and negotiate what we could live with and not push stuff underground. Kids will find a way around you if you won't work with them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Congrats on 26 happy years. My one Dear Sis is at 13, me at 21 and my oldest dear sis 32 all happy and first marriages as well. Not dating until 16 was really not a big deal to us. My kids had lots of guy and girls over a lot as well, they just weren't able to date until they were 16 but they had very active social lives. Now my 20 year old and one of my almost 18 year olds have happy relationships that are well over a year long each. The other one is taking a break until university in the fall or so she says.:D

Edited by Karysa

To those who are concerned about their 13-15 yr olds in a teen club with 17/18 yr olds. The kids don't just lock themselves in the teen club for 7 days. They can meet older teens and older men at the Lido, by the pool or any number of other places. What about teaching your kids how to handle a situation, not to go off alone with anyone... On a ship or any place else, teaching your morals and values and trusting your kids. In my experience they tend to travel in packs... Wouldn't that be a good way to learn to talk to boys and get some social experience for when they are 18 they know how to behave and interact

To those who are concerned about their 13-15 yr olds in a teen club with 17/18 yr olds. The kids don't just lock themselves in the teen club for 7 days. They can meet older teens and older men at the Lido, by the pool or any number of other places. What about teaching your kids how to handle a situation, not to go off alone with anyone... On a ship or any place else, teaching your morals and values and trusting your kids. In my experience they tend to travel in packs... Wouldn't that be a good way to learn to talk to boys and get some social experience for when they are 18 they know how to behave and interact

Good points. My teens have had 20 something year olds on the lido deck offer them drinks and invite them to their cabins as well. There is scary all over the place.:eek:

Hopefully the OP and his friend will find others there ages and have a great cruise.

Good points. My teens have had 20 something year olds on the lido deck offer them drinks and invite them to their cabins as well. There is scary all over the place.:eek:

Pray tell, what is so scary about a 20 something offering an almost 18 year old a drink (you said your girls were just about 18)? You think that doesn't happen daily at parties everyplace and particularly when they go off to college or leave home at 18? And the amount of drugs at teen parties (well under 18) plus the amount of booze that a LOT of parents make available to underage kids (and this I am FIRMLY against) shouldn't be scary in the least. IF they have minds of their own, you have taught them well, they have a little bit of chutzpah and self confidence, the invites to cabins, drugs or booze should be a immediate turn off. But again, it all comes down to how well the FUNDAMENTALS were taught at a young age (and I mean 8-12)

IF they have been "Mommy'd" to death, they ain't got a clue how to act.

Pray tell, what is so scary about a 20 something offering an almost 18 year old a drink (you said your girls were just about 18)? You think that doesn't happen daily at parties everyplace and particularly when they go off to college or leave home at 18? And the amount of drugs at teen parties (well under 18) plus the amount of booze that a LOT of parents make available to underage kids (and this I am FIRMLY against) shouldn't be scary in the least. IF they have minds of their own, you have taught them well, they have a little bit of chutzpah and self confidence, the invites to cabins, drugs or booze should be a immediate turn off. But again, it all comes down to how well the FUNDAMENTALS were taught at a young age (and I mean 8-12)

IF they have been "Mommy'd" to death, they ain't got a clue how to act.

They were 16 at the time and 20 something means in their 20's described to me about 23-25. That may be ok with you but it's not ok with me. Anyway I am rather tired of you harping on me about my parenting and I know that my kids are not all state in 5 sports with full scholarships at 14 schools or Mensa candidates but the truth of the matter is they are all well adjusted, doing well in school, have many friends, excel in music and hold down part time jobs helping disabled children. So you needn't worry about them they are not going to be a burden to society or end up living with their mommy for the rest of their lives.

They were 16 at the time and 20 something means in their 20's described to me about 23-25. That may be ok with you but it's not ok with me. Anyway I am rather tired of you harping on me about my parenting and I know that my kids are not all state in 5 sports with full scholarships at 14 schools or Mensa candidates but the truth of the matter is they are all well adjusted, doing well in school, have many friends, excel in music and hold down part time jobs helping disabled children. So you needn't worry about them they are not going to be a burden to society or end up living with their mommy for the rest of their lives.

Sometimes those who THINK they know it all about parenting don't even have their own children. It sounds like to me you are doing a great job as a parent. Some here enjoy starting arguments and try to bully their way on several different threads.....again some who have not the first hand knowlege on whatever the subject might be.:)Best of luck to you, a REAL mom.