Smaller portions in MDR?

Mineka_C

Opposite of what you're likely thinking!

Due to my diet I'm supposed to eat small portions. I've been on two other Carnival cruises, and I know the size of the MDR portions. Back then they made me stuffed if I had one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert.

My question is, other than the pasta, can I get the entrees or the appetizers in a smaller portion then normal? I hate the idea of wasting food by only eating half of the serving. I also know that my self control is going to be such that I'll likely eat all of the appetizer and then have little to no room for entree and dessert (dessert being my favourite)

Has anyone had any experience with requesting even smaller portions in the MDR? Would I talk to someone on the first day to discuss this? Would it be the Maitre D?

Anyway... any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

I know exactly how you feel. In my case, I have read so much about us being considered by the crew as voracious consumers and wasteful as a culture, I do not want to leave food and at the same time do not want to over indulge. Carnival is simply not setup to accommodate these type of requests in the main dining room.

After reading Cruise Confidential, I am also worried about anything out of the norm as he details how any deviation can really throw off their whole process in the MDR and make it near impossible for the team to catch back up.

Maybe you could order from the kids menu. I'd think the portions would be smaller.

Happy sails!

They would be smaller, but they're not things I generally enjoy.

Especially with new menus being implemented soon I want to have some of the things I've put off in favour of others this cruise.

I really hate leaving food on the plate to, I just wish they could only put half a serving.

When I go to Panera, I have them put half the food in a to-go, and eat the other half there. With resteraunts I don't feel bad taking the rest to go; but in the MDR the Sunshine doesn't even have fridges in most rooms so I couldn't even have it for lunch the following day or some such.

Going to have to do some pre-cruise menu planning prep with the hubby and see what we can do. But the portions are just right for him... augh!

They would be smaller, but they're not things I generally enjoy.

Especially with new menus being implemented soon I want to have some of the things I've put off in favour of others this cruise.

I really hate leaving food on the plate to, I just wish they could only put half a serving.

When I go to Panera, I have them put half the food in a to-go, and eat the other half there. With resteraunts I don't feel bad taking the rest to go; but in the MDR the Sunshine doesn't even have fridges in most rooms so I couldn't even have it for lunch the following day or some such.

Going to have to do some pre-cruise menu planning prep with the hubby and see what we can do. But the portions are just right for him... augh!

Maybe the "hubby" could pick up your slack. :)

I had part of my stomach removed a few years ago due to cancer. I still have to be careful how much I eat. Some nights I might get an app, a baked potato and just eat a bite of dessert. You don't have to order everything. I do explain to the waiter so he doesn't think something is wrong with the food.

I know exactly what you mean. We often travel with my BIL/SIL who are both required to eat smaller portions for medical reasons. Unfortunately, the MDR system just doesn't allow for special portions in the normal course of things.

That having been said, I wonder if one was to speak to the Maitre d' there could be arrangements made. They do it for other dietary restrictions like gluten-free, kosher, etc. You might have to take one of the fixed seating times and order the day before, but it might be doable.

We might try that on our next cruise.

Meals are preplated. set out in kitchen. A very hectic time in there. Just ask for an empty plate for each evening. Put excess food on plate. I do it all the time, am under 120lbs.Hope to stay that way.

I like this. Cause once it's off the plate I'll know "You can't touch it, don't try" and my self control should be able to handle that. Thank you for such a great idea, I'm gonna write it down so I don't forget!