CARIBBEAN PRINCESS Jan 11 2014-Photo and video review

Bimmer09

IMG_1318.JPG

Asian inspired art in the stairwell

IMG_1320.JPG

The Calypso pool bar which serves the Movies under the Stars area opens at 6 a.m.

IMG_1324.JPG

A ride in the elevator to reach deck 7-Promenade deck

IMG_1330.JPG

Thanks for getting up early and taking all those wonderful photos for us to enjoy!

Thanks Melody, there is an avalanche of photos still to come, and videos too.

By the way I always get up early while on vacation-even in Germany I am on the streets of Berlin by 6 a.m enjoying the city slowly waking up to another day.

I like the ship rooms when they are empty and resting and I don't feel good taking photos of people nearby incase they don't want to be in a photo which will be published on the Internet. Long shots are fair game.

I am not a fan of linking to photobucket albums which is why I keep the photos back until they are needed to tell the story so you get the photo and a commentary telling you what you are seeing and when. As I get better with the camera and editing software (little editing in the photos on this cruise but that will change on the next after I practice) I will take more photos and they will be crisper and better lit. I am treating myself to a tripod too.

Thanks for following along!

Norris

Back down by the waterfront there was the Nieuw Amsterdam which is a Holland American ship whose name may be a typo.

IMG_1267.JPG

"Nieuw" is Dutch (Nederlands) for the English "New". It is, as you can see, a Holland America ship. Nieuw and New are pronounced almost the same. Edited by Times Prince

The exterior of the beautiful Wheelhouse Bar which has a dance floor made of wood and a live band in the evenings.On some ships it is the setting for pub lunch,Pop Choir rehearsals and lectures.

IMG_1347.JPG

Nautically themed and beautifully decorated

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

Beautiful artwork and great leather sofas. A fine place for drinks with friends.

IMG_1349.JPG

Rich woods and low lights in the bar. I love this room but didn't find a reason to visit it on this cruise. There's always a NEXT time.

IMG_1350.JPG

Here's another beautiful room found on most Princess Ships and another which I didn't frequent on this trip. This is used at times for art auctions, band shows and stand-up comedians. I like it for the comedians as it is much more club-like than seeing them in the Princess Theater and have great memories of SRO shows on the Ruby and Crown with stand-ups like Phil Tag. Intimate venue. Again-beautifully decorated in my opinion.

IMG_1359.JPG

Explorers is open so that people walking by on deck 7 can see and hear what is going on. It might even be one of those quizzes- the Married Game where spouses have to answer personal questions about each other. Usually a source for great gales of laughter from the packed crowd.

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

The Explorers theme even continues across the hallway to the comfy seats by the windows onto Promenade Deck. Here is the Zebra I mentioned many pages ago when this ramble began... ("nothing is black and white except maybe a Zebra...")

IMG_1345.JPG

The photo gallery and shop

IMG_1358.JPG

This is where Carol hands over large sums of cash for photos of us on the ship.

There are photographers all over the place, especially on Formal Nights-on this sailing they were Sunday at sea and Thursday after sailing from Cozumel-where people elect to have their photos taken in a formal setting, wearing their best duds and jewelry. As you know you will have your photo taken boarding the ship in Houston, getting off the gangway in all but tender ports and at the dinner table on Formal Nights. If you are viewing glaciers in Alaska there will be photographers roaming the decks taking your photo with the mighty Hubbard as a backdrop instead of the ship banners they most often use. A simple "no thanks" will do if you don't want a picture taken.

One thing we usually buy is the Reflections DVD which is a video shot on board while you cruise and usually available on the last day. When we asked about buying one we were told that there was no videographer on board but one "should be joining the ship soon" (or not?) They are pricey at $60.

There are also cameras (mostly Nikon) available for sale if you (a) forgot yours (slap your self on the forehead) or (b) are ready for an upgrade.

IMG_1346.JPG

The most recent batch of photos are put out each day for you to buy so if you see one you like take it and pay for it as it won't be out there for ever.

These were on display on disembarkation morning...your last chance!

IMG_1476.JPG

There's always a collage of the Ship's Officers on deck 7 near the Piazza

IMG_1398.JPG

And the Employee of the Month-Rosario from the Calypso Cove gift shop who was with us on that Dolphin video in Roatan.

IMG_1465.JPG

I mentioned the Piazza which is the three-deck high plaza where much of the entertainment takes place during the day. Maybe a fruit carving demo, "Horse" Racing, dance classes, a juggler, a band, a solo guitarist etc. On the last day it would host the Pop Choir where passengers sing for their fellow travelers.

The Piazza

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

The Piazza is the hub of the ship's indoor life. This is where you will find Passenger Services, International Cafe, Vines Wine Bar and the shops.

If you go to Passenger Services on your cruise ask them if they have found my sunglasses. Thanks.

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

I'm only on page 9 but needed to take a break. I just wanted you to know how much I'm enjoying your review, including all of the photos and videos. I'll be on this ship on March 1. I haven't been on the Caribbean Princess in almost 4 years so seeing the pictures have really helped to refresh my memories of her. I have been to all the ports several times. I have never taken the dolphin excursion but after seeing your video I felt like I had been on it! Now I'm probably going to book it! I'll be back later today to finish your review. Thanks for all of your time that you are spending sharing this with us!

One thing we usually buy is the Reflections DVD which is a video shot on board while you cruise and usually available on the last day. When we asked about buying one we were told that there was no videographer on board but one "should be joining the ship soon" (or not?) They are pricey at $60.

They used to be less than $40 and even less with a $10 off coupon easily available.

I'm surprised they find many buyers at the $60 price level.

I'm only on page 9 but needed to take a break. I just wanted you to know how much I'm enjoying your review, including all of the photos and videos. I'll be on this ship on March 1. I haven't been on the Caribbean Princess in almost 4 years so seeing the pictures have really helped to refresh my memories of her. I have been to all the ports several times. I have never taken the dolphin excursion but after seeing your video I felt like I had been on it! Now I'm probably going to book it! I'll be back later today to finish your review. Thanks for all of your time that you are spending sharing this with us!

Thanks for reading and I am about 85% through the writing/uploading.

I know it's a long read and in fact I haven't read it all yet. I usually do that at the very end to see if I left anything out. No doubt there will be a summary of sorts.

Keep coming back as new stuff will keep coming over the next week or so.

Norris

They used to be less than $40 and even less with a $10 off coupon easily available.

I'm surprised they find many buyers at the $60 price level.

Bill it may be a cutback, at least on this ship. Sales may not have been covering costs and yielding a healthy profit. Has anyone reading this recently bought one?

Norris

I usually just shop in Calypso Cove for fridge magnets and Duty-Free cigarettes.

On the last sea day I bought a pair of Fossil sunglasses to replace the two pairs I had lost on the cruise so far. $50 glasses which are probably $15 at my local Fossil Outlet store. I still have them.

Here are some of the shops onboard

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

As it was our last day on board I made a point of going here to buy some FCCs (Future Cruise Credits or $100 deposits on a trip to be taken within the next two years. Fully refundable if you don't cruise within that time. Beats paying a 20% deposit without one)

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

They open at 8 a.m. I came back around 8.15 as another passenger was leaving.

On entering the staffer was spraying down the arms of the chair I was to sit in and then she sprayed a pen on the desk and trashed some papers the other person had been looking at. Noro precautions. She was frustrated that some of the Noro victims were out of their cabins and walking around....really people?

I would be devastated if I had Noro and was confined to my cabin for 48 hours but I wouldn't put others at high risk by being selfish.

Next to the FC office is this one which I have never visited-the Captain's Circle host

IMG_1384.JPG

Across from Crown Grill is another deck 6 office that often had lines...the Shore Excursion Desk. We book all our excursions on line before we sail

IMG_1383.JPG

Just around the corner from Crown Grill, heading aft is the Art Gallery and we'll go there next .....

The Art Gallery lines a couple of long corridors aft of Crown Grill. Paintings are removed for the auctions on board.

IMG_1404.JPG

There was a lot of art featuring the great Muhammud Ali or Cassius Clay as he was previously known. The first, a famous photo of Clay and the Beatles was bought by my drinking buddy Steve for a hefty sum.

IMG_1405.JPG

Ali was the only boxer I ever got interested in and I recall being on my dad's merchant ship sailing through the night from Liverpool in the 60's listening to him fight Sonny Liston via the ship's radio. Very exciting! Of course he was also a rich personality which helped. I bumped into him in London later when I was 13 and got to say hello to him. He punched me in the face but I understood completely as most people react that way. His house (estate) near us in Michigan was for sale about 5 years ago and took a couple of years to sell. It was beautifully understated (not flash) with rich gardens.

Such agility and balance and those arms hanging low...float like a butterfly.....

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

Another sports celebrity was also represented

IMG_1411.JPG

Internet Cafe shares space with the library, Deck 5, near Vines wine bar

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

We each had 150 minutes free Internet as we are now Platinum Members and we each used all of them. I would log into Cruise Critic via my phone early in the morning before the ship was awake and the speed slowed. I posted a couple of times but can never see myself doing a "live from" report as I am busy relaxing and enjoying the ship. I don't care who the most traveled passenger is as it's not me and never will be as I enjoy other vacations apart from cruising and am not retired or wealthy. Good for you if you cruise 10 months of the year. More power to you. It's just not for me as there is so much to be enjoyed from behind the wheel of a car or even on another cruise line/riverboat cruise. Hiking, camping, RV-ing, Vegas, a week in Paris, America's National Parks -the world is your oyster.

The only place I had trouble logging on was from our own balcony but once inside the room the wi-fi kicked in.

Also on deck 5 is this popular spot

IMG_1399.JPG

After breakfast on our last day on the ship-our last Sabatini experience as it happened-we said our goodbyes to the genial staff there and our next event would be the Culinary Show in the Princess Theater. This is a last day traditional offering and features the Maitre d' Hotel and the Executive Chef bantering with each other and the CD while cooking some easy dishes with an overhead camera to catch the sizzling action.

I didn't plan to stay for this but went along to take some photos and video.

Carol watched the whole thing and was then surprised to find some crew members come on to entertain (Crew Show lite). Hector the singing Head Waiter was one of them. The usual galley tour at the end of this show was canceled due to the Noro precautions.

A letter waiting for me on the night before had told me that due to the Noro the Ultimate Ship Tour was cancelled. I understood. My name was first on the list but I took it on the chin and sobbed in the closet for an hour.

Princess Theater and Culinary Show

IMG_1332.JPG

Deck 6 lobby

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

No one showed up for the Culinary Show???

IMG_1366.JPG

Voila!

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

Brett Siborne the CD

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

Executive Chef Antonio Cortese. The Maitre d' (closest to him) is Guiseppe Castino.

So my last day's plans included;

Ship photos

FCCs

Breakfast in Sabatini's

Culinary Show briefly (video)

Pub Lunch

Sanctuary

Afternoon tea

Nap

Pop Choir show (video)

Another nap

Possible dinner in Crown Grill (wait listed)

Backup plan #1 reservation in Sabatini's

#2 Coral dining room with Hector (video)

karaoke finals in Club Fusion

Packing

Bed

So a busy day on paper. Somewhere in there was enjoying the sun on deck and a drink with my buddies at Tradewinds before saying our goodbyes.

Regarding these buddies it was interesting that when I mentioned Cruise Critic there were blank looks. I was the only one familiar with it so I told everyone what a great resource it was. They were always asking me how I knew so much about the ship and CC was the answer. Want to know what your cabin will look like? Search CC with the cabin number. I used napkins to write down the CC address for those interested. I also told them my screen name so they could see a review of my experiences on board. Sadly I didn't take photos of them to remember them by. I doubt if I will ever see any of them again. They were good company though, all of them hard-working Americans treating themselves to a cruise.

Last day on the ship but we had a day in Houston to look forward to so that helped dull the pain at the end of our cruise.

Norris