CARIBBEAN PRINCESS Jan 11 2014-Photo and video review

Bimmer09

Thanks so much for the info. I'm flying there, the first stop on a two week UK trip for a family wedding. I'll have about two and a half days there, including the day I arrive, all tired and jet-lagged :( I'll just be using public transportation, possibly the hop on hop off bus to hit some of the major sights on Friday. I'll be spending all day Saturday seeing Titanic related sights, and Sunday will be a tour to Giants Causeway. I can always go back again someday to see things I miss this time around. Kind of like a cruise, where you only get one day in a port and have to go back :)

The CB UST that I did was lacking in one area and that was the bridge part of the tour. The Captain was only there long enough to take a photo and then he turned the tour over to his Third Officer. We didn't get any champagne or snacks at the end of the tour either. Not a huge deal, but since I'd heard so much about this tour it was surprising to not get things that others did.

Disappointing Bridge Tour for sure. I've had one Captain-Dino Sagani - spend an hour talking to our group before the photos. John Foster only 15 minutes then handed us off to a young officer.

I've only experienced the champagne and munchies in the galley with the Exec chef.

I plan to tour the Ocean in September as I have never been on one of the R Class ships.

Norris

Entertainment continued

The CD, Brett Siborne is a great MC. He's not a song and dance man. He has great energy and is very comfortable with a microphone in hand. I could't tell you who the Assistant CD was. No one stood out as did Simone the young Australian whirlwind who compered the Men's Sexy legs contest by the pool and the Karaoke contest. She's only 20 years old but may be a CD in the future as she is fearless and doesn't need a script.

Simone was great! While we were on board last week it was announced that she has received a promotion to assistant cruise director on the new Regal Ship! Well deserved.:)

Norris,

I spent a whole day engrossed in your enjoyable dialog as well as the gorgeous photos and videos. I am proud that our fellow Texan hosts were well-received and represented our fine state in the best light. Given the reported fog-delays and port cancellations recently encountered and publicized, I hope fellow Princess passengers will be patient and go-with-the-flow as you have.

You are welcome back at any time for an extended visit to Houston and a hearty Texas handshake.

Les from Texas

Norris,

I spent a whole day engrossed in your enjoyable dialog as well as the gorgeous photos and videos. I am proud that our fellow Texan hosts were well-received and represented our fine state in the best light. Given the reported fog-delays and port cancellations recently encountered and publicized, I hope fellow Princess passengers will be patient and go-with-the-flow as you have.

You are welcome back at any time for an extended visit to Houston and a hearty Texas handshake.

Les from Texas

How nice of you, Les! I am certain we will be back, perhaps for the Ring Cycle at HGO. I too loved following along with Norris's review. It is like reliving the whole cruise again and lessens the post cruise letdown for me. Plus I get to see people and places I missed as I don't explore as much as Norris. Find me a quiet spot where I can see the sea and read and I am perfectly content and roam no farther.

Carol aka Deck Chair Queen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Entertainment continued

The CD, Brett Siborne is a great MC. He's not a song and dance man. He has great energy and is very comfortable with a microphone in hand. I could't tell you who the Assistant CD was. No one stood out as did Simone the young Australian whirlwind who compered the Men's Sexy legs contest by the pool and the Karaoke contest. She's only 20 years old but may be a CD in the future as she is fearless and doesn't need a script.

Simone was great! While we were on board last week it was announced that she has received a promotion to assistant cruise director on the new Regal Ship! Well deserved.:)

Yes that is well deserved and quite a leap for her as it puts her in direct line for her next promotion to CD. I saw her quite a few times via my karaoke interest in Club Fusion and like her stint on deck hosting the Mens' Sexy Legs contest she threw herself into the job with abandon as if the Karaoke gig at the back of the ship was a plum assignment. She's good looking, trim and perky and has boundless energy and she's witty and quick to react, never at a loss for words.

Princess has snagged a good one for the future. Hopefully she'll learn the whole scheduling business on the Regal.

Thanks for the info!

Norris

I have finished reading the review! Loved everything about it! In two weeks I'll be on the Caribbean Princess!

Well....finished reading the review? That's more than I can say as I haven't gone back and read it through in it's entirety yet. I've read a few pages here and there to see if it reads well and doesn't get bogged down. Even though it's long I hope that it will read fast.

Along the way I admitted to being lazy on the trip- I had gone in thinking I was going to take 1,000 pics and record 5 hours of video and then pick and choose but once I got the sun on my face, a beer in my hand and some good company from new friends, including a few Canadian ladies I didn't refer to before-well the "review material gathering" fell by the wayside. I Escaped Completely!

I took half as many photos as I thought I would and only 3 hours of video, half of which is not on Youtube. I have high hopes for doing a better job on my next cruise which will give me irresistible photo opportunities on a new class of ship (to me) and some places that might have things of interest- Venice, Dubrovnik, Malta, Tunisia, Sorrento and two days in Rome . My head is already swimming with the possibilities of what my camera will see. All from an aft suite on a gorgeous little tub.

I am learning Italian via Rosetta Stone, getting a tripod, exploring software to fix some of my poor photos and am determined to be more "snap-happy" with all the visual tools at hand. I will be drinking lots of espressos and cappuccinos! (and Sambuca)

All of that is way in the future. All the plans-hotels, excursions and such are made and will be on CC sometime in October. I have bought another 25 Gigabytes of storage on iCloud to deal with all of this.

It is fun writing these long reviews but the real fun is seeing that people are reading them and responding and if you were to sail on the CB or any of the ships I have reviewed in the past 30 months and my reviews helped heighten your anticipation or gave you information that was useful then I would be very pleased at having helped you in some way.

CC is all about sharing.

Norris

Norris,

Les from Texas

Les- thank you and we will return to Houston as Opera-goers and Cruise Passengers.

At some point in our cruises, always at dinner, Carol will grab the camcorder from the table and point it at me. On this cruise she did so and recorded me drinking some wine while savoring the meal I had just demolished. She asks at one point-"and what did you like most about Houston?" and my immediate response was

"Texans!". We were made to feel very welcome by everyone we came in contact with in our short time in the Houston area. We're not used to seeing that everywhere we go, so we were saying to each other "wow, another friendly Texan". We felt at home immediately once we realized that there was something in the culture there, in the upbringing. It started at the airport and continued until we were back on a plane again.

So we'll be back many times. We were impressed at every turn.

I welcome a hearty handshake!

Norris (not a hugger)

Bimmer09: Since you seem so very knowledgeable, you seem the one to ask. :)

What side of the ship is best for seeing ports on arrival and departure? -

AND what pier do they dock at in Cozumel. (this determines a lot of plans when it comes to excursions). I have searched for this information everywhere and can't seem to find it.

Thank you,

Edited by rgmacm

Bimmer09: Since you seem so very knowledgeable, you seem the one to ask. :)

What side of the ship is best for seeing ports on arrival and departure? -

AND what pier do they dock at in Cozumel. (this determines a lot of plans when it comes to excursions). I have searched for this information everywhere and can't seem to find it.

Thank you,

In Cozumel the scheduled Cruise Terminal is Puerta Maya. As to which side you want to be on that would be a hard call as some weeks that pull in bow toward the shore, other times they back in. They could be on either side of the dock so you might be facing another ship whichever side you chose.

Rotan is a little easier to call. They always back the ship in to the dock. If you are on the port side (left) then you will be looking out over the port area with the shops and the flying chairs.

Belize it doesn't matter as you will be anchored offshore probably facing NE but that can vary with wind direction (they try to shield the tender operation from the wind).

I hope that this helps but either side is a good location for any of these ports.

When departing from Houston or Galveston I tend to like the starboard side for the views departing either of these ports.

In Cozumel the scheduled Cruise Terminal is Puerta Maya. As to which side you want to be on that would be a hard call as some weeks that pull in bow toward the shore, other times they back in. They could be on either side of the dock so you might be facing another ship whichever side you chose.

Rotan is a little easier to call. They always back the ship in to the dock. If you are on the port side (left) then you will be looking out over the port area with the shops and the flying chairs.

Belize it doesn't matter as you will be anchored offshore probably facing NE but that can vary with wind direction (they try to shield the tender operation from the wind).

I hope that this helps but either side is a good location for any of these ports.

When departing from Houston or Galveston I tend to like the starboard side for the views departing either of these ports.

Thank you so much for the information. I was wondering if I should change our cabin...sounds like there's no need to.

Bill-thanks for answering this!

Norris

Thank you Norris for all of the kind things you continue to say about Texans. Therefore, I think it is about time you become one. By the power vested in me as "Queen of Everything", I hereby grant you the title of HONORARY TEXAN! If you accept this grand award, just say "Howdy Y'all!"

Now since Cruise Critic is typed and not spoken, there is no reason that you cannot sound like a Texan on these boards. Just throw in "fixin' to" every now and then (Such as "I was fixin' to go up to the Tradewinds Bar for a Beck's") and drop some g's (such as "I was talkin', I was walkin', I was goin'") You get the picture. No one will know you are a Texan by way of Northern Ireland!

Seriously - really enjoyed your review, Thanks!

This is such a great thread. I have really enjoyed all the great info and photos!!!:D:D

Mona -thank you for the kind words. Aren't you sailing on the CB any day now?

Norris

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your Journal of your cruise and excursions. You are such a good writer. Thank you for sharing.

Well it's posts like this that make all the effort worthwhile. I hope everyone enjoys the Princess ships as much as I do in the way that I do-i.e without even trying. Just going with the flow and finding there is much to enjoy.

I think Princess attracts a good clientele of respectful warm spirited folks in the main. The barrel is too big for a few rotten apples to spoil it.

Thank you!

Norris, with 2 new FCCs in hand

Thank you Norris for all of the kind things you continue to say about Texans. Therefore, I think it is about time you become one. By the power vested in me as "Queen of Everything", I hereby grant you the title of HONORARY TEXAN! If you accept this grand award, just say "Howdy Y'all!"

Now since Cruise Critic is typed and not spoken, there is no reason that you cannot sound like a Texan on these boards. Just throw in "fixin' to" every now and then (Such as "I was fixin' to go up to the Tradewinds Bar for a Beck's") and drop some g's (such as "I was talkin', I was walkin', I was goin'") You get the picture. No one will know you are a Texan by way of Northern Ireland!

Seriously - really enjoyed your review, Thanks!

Well I had a hankerin' to sit a spell but dagnabbit I just had to mosey on over to the Mac and say a big Howdy and a Thank ya Kindly Ma'am. While I am here , ma hoss is a might thirsty from ridin' on this here trail through the Princess Boards that- iff'n it wouldn't be too much trouble an' all-maybe you could be so kind to water him for me? Have a nice day now y'all....

Norris, Proud Honorary Texan!

Fixin' t' fix me a burger with all the fixins!

Just wanted to tell you again how much I've enjoyed your review and all the pictures. We are sailing the CB 3-29.

Doug

Doug and Pat, I see you have been sailing Carnival for the past 5 years or so and I am hoping that you enjoy Princess. Did the ship appeal to you from the photos I put up? I know it is very different from any of the Carnival ships-inside and out.

I hope you love it! What made you choose this ship/itinerary?

Norris

Mona -thank you for the kind words. Aren't you sailing on the CB any day now?

Norris

Norris,

Sorry for the delayed reply to your question. I have 1 month and 3 weeks. (see ticker below signature) before boarding the CB on my cruise: April 26th. I CAN'T wait to get on the ship for some FUN!:D:D:D

Edited by monakayk

Doug and Pat, I see you have been sailing Carnival for the past 5 years or so and I am hoping that you enjoy Princess. Did the ship appeal to you from the photos I put up? I know it is very different from any of the Carnival ships-inside and out.

I hope you love it! What made you choose this ship/itinerary?

Norris

Yes, the pictures looked really great. We have some friends that have been on this ship and will be on this cruise with us....They convinced me to try Princess.

Thanks again,

Doug

Yes, the pictures looked really great. We have some friends that have been on this ship and will be on this cruise with us....They convinced me to try Princess.

Thanks again,

Doug

Well Doug, I know you are in for a treat. I have been very happy to have taken a chance on Princess. Five great cruises so far with one more to come in September and two FCCs in hand waiting to be used.

Norris

Well Doug, I know you are in for a treat. I have been very happy to have taken a chance on Princess. Five great cruises so far with one more to come in September and two FCCs in hand waiting to be used.

Norris

Norris, you are making me feel better already.

Doug

Norris,

I was wondering about your German "concert" trip. Do you have a blog with the info about that trip somewhere?

Would love to read all about it.

By the way, glad you got to know our Texas folks and find that they are really friendly.

Thanks for this detail review. Always enjoy.

I have set up a blog via Google which will allow me to write reviews with photos and videos of my land trips in the USA and Europe. It is a new learning experience and I am tweaking to get something on screen that I am happy with.

It begins with our last Germany/Austria trip as suggested by enidcruiser.

and if I continue with it and publish it I will return to this thread to let you know.

As there is a wealth of material (photos, videos and me babbling) it will be long but I'll send it out in manageable chunks.

A work in progress...

Norris