CARIBBEAN PRINCESS Jan 11 2014-Photo and video review

Bimmer09

Hi Bimmer09 (Norris)

I have been following your CC reviews for some time (love 'em!), so when I saw you were doing the blog, I jumped over there to see it. A great start so far. I can hardly wait to follow it.

Problem is, when I try to figure out how to subscribe to it, I keep striking out.

When I click the 'subscribe' button, all I get is a huge page of text, but no way to subscribe. Am I missing something (won't be the first time!)?

Howard B

Howard I have added a "subscribe by e mail" link to the blog so that you'll get a notification when I write something new. It's top left hand corner.

Norris

norrisadair.blogspot.com

Norris, thank you so much for the energy and effort you have put into this fabulous tale of your time on the Caribbean Princess. My wife and I are retired and stumbled onto your thread yesterday afternoon. We spent the afternoon yesterday and most of the day today captivated by your great adventure. We are sailing on the CB on March 29 and you have given us some ideas of things to experience, both onboard and ashore. As residents of Houston (we live next to the Hilton Hotel you mentioned in your narrative) we are pleased you have such pleasant memories of our neighbors and of our fair city. Thanks again for sharing your adventure. That being said, y'all come back, ya hea?

JCW-thanks for the kind words and Texas welcome!

The review was on the front page of CC for 3 weeks and yet you stumbled on it on page 3 or 4 where now I dwell. I am wondering how many others have missed it? (taking a head-count right now LOL!)

I am very glad you read it from bow to stern. Makes it all worthwhile.

I'll be back in Texas again and again hopefully.

Norris

norrisadair.blogspot.com

Was the drink in the glass offered each night at dinner and keep the glass or was it just Italian night? Must have missed this in December and want to get one as we are going again soon.... Thank you!!! Any pictures of the drink and glass you can get? Debbie

Debbie- just offered Italian Night. The glasses are very nice collectibles indeed.

I'll try and post a picture but my camera is in Michigan at the moment.

Maybe someone else has a photo handy?

They feature different Princess nautical-themed designs in relief on the glass. One I'm looking at right now has a starfish motive and says Princess Cruises. Another has a ship's wheel and the Seawitch embossed in the center. Fun momentos!

Norris

Debbie- just offered Italian Night. The glasses are very nice collectibles indeed.

I'll try and post a picture but my camera is in Michigan at the moment.

Maybe someone else has a photo handy?

They feature different Princess nautical-themed designs in relief on the glass. One I'm looking at right now has a starfish motive and says Princess Cruises. Another has a ship's wheel and the Seawitch embossed in the center. Fun momentos!

Norris

Sounds like a great momento and will look for it on Italian Night. We actually ate a few nights at the HC just to work around some events (we had Anytime Dining but takes longer than HC) we wanted to do and it was delicious too. I bet we missed Italian Night - not this trip! Thanks for helping Doug and Pat.

Sad indeed as the few people I met were warm spirited and deserve better.

I hope that some of the money coming onto the island through tourism trickles down into improving the infrastructure so that indoor plumbing and electricity are for everyone.

I was able to step off the island into the lap of luxury and sail away but everyone else, killing time on their front stoop as darkness came, just had to watch me and dream...

Mekamax I would be interested to hear more of your experiences there. Did you go into the towns on foot and walk around?

Thanks for responding!

Norris

When we first pulled into Roatan in 1999 on the NCL Sea it was at the old dock (the one RCL and NCL use now) and it was not much of a dock. You walked right off the ship and there was a shanty town like of shacks lined up the main road with "souveniers" that you could walk through and buy. You inherited a kid at some point who would stick next to you. They said they only had a half day of school. The dogs were all bone and the drug dealers and thieves were out so the kid would keep them away and take you to certain vendors which were very good actually. We liked having a kid with us and always tipped them well.. It was very poor and not used to tourists on a large scale. It had two Dive Resorts in Fantasy Island and Anthony Keys and that was the most they had for tourism. Actually we found most of the locals at that point to be very "envious" might be the word - they felt that since you came in on a big ship they deserved your money as you must have a lot of it. We were (or they tried to) swindle us at Anthony Keys as we had gotten a cab off the ship to their resort to try to catch a dive boat out. Long story but will not go back there. I know it has changed since and grown and hopefully a much nicer place but once burned - well..... Anyway one of the cab driver tried to swindle us too. Funny enough he was a Carnival Cruise Line Cabin Steward on break. Long stories and lessons learned in traveling. One cab driver was very nice indeed and seemed to be a very good person. But I was on the bow of the cruise ship trying to pull her off the dock and back to sea... LOL The poverty there was so heartbreaking to see. When driving to Anthony Keys you passed "houses" with outhouses out at the end of pier in their back yard.. Did make me think twice about diving.. :rolleyes: In the years in between when we came back in 2005 things had massively improved. Still inherited a kid for shopping... The dock was much nicer. We took a shuttle bus with a couple of other couples we had met onboard to West Bay Beach where all the hotels are and got the shuttle driver as a tour guide who stayed with us. The pick pockets were out in force. The kids were being run by an older gentleman. I am orginally from NY and spent a bunch of time in Manhattan before Guilliani cleaned it up so it was obvious to me. They tried to get our things off the beach chair but we caught them so two guys had to stay on the beach while the rest of us were in the water. Beautiful beach. The guide/shuttle driver was so very nice. The American girl helping her boyfriend with the parasailing boat was smoking a crack pipe in the cabana next to us. One couple left to get drugs we found out later and didn't come back and we were all wanting to go back to the ship before it left us and the guide was so concerned as he said he would loose his job if he didn't come back with everyone. We grabbed their stuff too and walked the way back down the beach to where the cab was and they showed up at the last minute.... The guide said that mainland Honduras people had been moving in and the native Roatan people that could leave were. Drugs had become a big problem. This little island has had a hard time and so has it's people. We have met some extraordinary people there and some we hope to not see again...... We just went back in December on the Caribbean Princess and it poured down rain all day till 2pm. We got off at 2:30pm to explore this new pier (new to us) and love it really. They have put a lot into this place. Enjoyed this new pier and away from the poverty and drugs. This is one time I am very thankful Carnival put money out to build a pier with shops. Normally (as in Cozumel) I prefer it to be left as all local but on this island I very much appreciate what they have put in including the beach for the passengers to enjoy. :)

When we first pulled into Roatan in 1999 on the NCL Sea it was at the old dock (the one RCL and NCL use now) and it was not much of a dock. You walked right off the ship and there was a shanty town like of shacks lined up the main road with "souveniers" that you could walk through and buy. You inherited a kid at some point who would stick next to you. They said they only had a half day of school. The dogs were all bone and the drug dealers and thieves were out so the kid would keep them away and take you to certain vendors which were very good actually. We liked having a kid with us and always tipped them well.. It was very poor and not used to tourists on a large scale. It had two Dive Resorts in Fantasy Island and Anthony Keys and that was the most they had for tourism. Actually we found most of the locals at that point to be very "envious" might be the word - they felt that since you came in on a big ship they deserved your money as you must have a lot of it. We were (or they tried to) swindle us at Anthony Keys as we had gotten a cab off the ship to their resort to try to catch a dive boat out. Long story but will not go back there. I know it has changed since and grown and hopefully a much nicer place but once burned - well..... Anyway one of the cab driver tried to swindle us too. Funny enough he was a Carnival Cruise Line Cabin Steward on break. Long stories and lessons learned in traveling. One cab driver was very nice indeed and seemed to be a very good person. But I was on the bow of the cruise ship trying to pull her off the dock and back to sea... LOL The poverty there was so heartbreaking to see. When driving to Anthony Keys you passed "houses" with outhouses out at the end of pier in their back yard.. Did make me think twice about diving.. :rolleyes: In the years in between when we came back in 2005 things had massively improved. Still inherited a kid for shopping... The dock was much nicer. We took a shuttle bus with a couple of other couples we had met onboard to West Bay Beach where all the hotels are and got the shuttle driver as a tour guide who stayed with us. The pick pockets were out in force. The kids were being run by an older gentleman. I am orginally from NY and spent a bunch of time in Manhattan before Guilliani cleaned it up so it was obvious to me. They tried to get our things off the beach chair but we caught them so two guys had to stay on the beach while the rest of us were in the water. Beautiful beach. The guide/shuttle driver was so very nice. The American girl helping her boyfriend with the parasailing boat was smoking a crack pipe in the cabana next to us. One couple left to get drugs we found out later and didn't come back and we were all wanting to go back to the ship before it left us and the guide was so concerned as he said he would loose his job if he didn't come back with everyone. We grabbed their stuff too and walked the way back down the beach to where the cab was and they showed up at the last minute.... The guide said that mainland Honduras people had been moving in and the native Roatan people that could leave were. Drugs had become a big problem. This little island has had a hard time and so has it's people. We have met some extraordinary people there and some we hope to not see again...... We just went back in December on the Caribbean Princess and it poured down rain all day till 2pm. We got off at 2:30pm to explore this new pier (new to us) and love it really. They have put a lot into this place. Enjoyed this new pier and away from the poverty and drugs. This is one time I am very thankful Carnival put money out to build a pier with shops. Normally (as in Cozumel) I prefer it to be left as all local but on this island I very much appreciate what they have put in including the beach for the passengers to enjoy. :)

Wow. What a history you have with Roatan. Sounds like Ocho Rios in this telling and I am glad you went back again and saw some improvement and now the Mahogany Bay landing is a great safe place to spend a day. Once out of there though you get glimpses of the real Roatan that the people live with.

Thanks for taking so much time and being so detailed!

Norris

Wow. What a history you have with Roatan. Sounds like Ocho Rios in this telling ................

Norris

Exactly what I was thinking. Ocho Rios and Montego Bay back in the mid eighties were just like this. We were there once and decided to not ever go back. From what I hear that is/was a good decision. :cool:

NCL is again starting a new port in the Western Carib. I think they were the ones to start Roatan as we went back in 1999. Anyway they are starting in the fall on the NCL Jewel to go to Banana Coast Honduras instead of Roatan. Be interesting to see this port before it gets more commercialized.... The real name is Trujillo....

http://www.bananacoast.com/

As I was reading this, I couldn't help but think about Montego Bay Jamacia...Not one of my favorite places.

Doug

Edited by douglinc@msn.com

NCL is again starting a new port in the Western Carib. I think they were the ones to start Roatan as we went back in 1999. Anyway they are starting in the fall on the NCL Jewel to go to Banana Coast Honduras instead of Roatan. Be interesting to see this port before it gets more commercialized.... The real name is Trujillo....

http://www.bananacoast.com/

Thanks for this-good to know. Will surf the NCL boards as time gets closer.

Norris

<<As I was reading this, I couldn't help but think about Montego Bay Jamacia...Not one of my favorite places.

Doug>>

Never been to MB and my whole Jamaica experience was based around 44 visits to Ocho Rios. I liked the Falls, Shaw Park Gardens and horseback riding up in the green hills. I spent a lot of time at the Sansouci Hotel which was fabulous and a great escape from the pestering by the locals....prostitutes, dope peddlers, women grabbing my arm to lead me into their "shop", the reckless drivers and the poor souls who wanted me to smuggle them onboard the Song of Norway so they could escape. Even so I didn't end up hating it or staying on the ship but it was not a relaxing place to be unless on a private hotel beach with a fence around it. I found a taxi driver I could trust and used him every week.

Norris

• 3 weeks later...

Woke up at 8:30am and turned on computer. Needed to find something to amuse myself today as it is snowing again....We had a blizzard 10 days ago and then a massive storm last Monday....and somehow, I found myself dreaming of cruises and of much warmer places to be where the landscape isn't white....so went onto Cruise Critic.

Somehow stumbled upon this thread (not sure how, I think I was just reading about Princess). It is now 3:05pm and have read it from first to last post and watched all but one of the YouTube videos that I couldn't get to work.

I LOVED reading your story, adventures, and especially looking at all the photos...I'm going to try to find your other stories about other cruises (as I am actually thinking of going on one) and getting your perspective of the ship and ports of call. My vacations over the last many years have consisted of land based ventures, and I want to try something new - that doesn't involve a central castle and a mouse:p

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this. I really enjoy reading reviews and stories with a sense of humour!!!

Woke up at 8:30am and turned on computer. Needed to find something to amuse myself today as it is snowing again....We had a blizzard 10 days ago and then a massive storm last Monday....and somehow, I found myself dreaming of cruises and of much warmer places to be where the landscape isn't white....so went onto Cruise Critic.

Somehow stumbled upon this thread (not sure how, I think I was just reading about Princess). It is now 3:05pm and have read it from first to last post and watched all but one of the YouTube videos that I couldn't get to work.

I LOVED reading your story, adventures, and especially looking at all the photos...I'm going to try to find your other stories about other cruises (as I am actually thinking of going on one) and getting your perspective of the ship and ports of call. My vacations over the last many years have consisted of land based ventures, and I want to try something new - that doesn't involve a central castle and a mouse:p

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this. I really enjoy reading reviews and stories with a sense of humour!!!

Thank you for reading my "epic" and for taking the time to say so. A positive response makes all the time I spent on it (willingly) worthwhile. I think the more information you have about a ship or an itinerary the better and the photos and video I know must help a great deal- they are what I look for when I read other reviews as a way of maximizing my few cruise opportunities.

The other reviews (Coral, Crown, Diamond and Ruby) are all found by clicking on my screen name and looking at the posts I have written. It takes a little time to find the start of each one but they are all a mix of facts and "fun" if you like a read that isn't too dry.

I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon Princess-the line and the people working on the ships and the passengers sailing on them suit my style.

I enjoy land vacations too and write about them on my blog...

norrisadair.blogspot.com

I have 83 videos on youtube and am sorry to hear one of them didn't work so I will get my spanners and see if I can find which one and fix it.

Thanks again for your kind words!

Norris

It is excellent reading material. :D

Thank you Colo- I take that as a considerable compliment. I am very happy you like reading my "stuff"

Norris

norrisadair.blogspot.com

I have 83 videos on youtube and am sorry to hear one of them didn't work so I will get my spanners and see if I can find which one and fix it.

Thank you but please don't spend any time (or very much) trying to correct something that may be the fault of my computer....it has been acting up from time to time lately so may be nothing wrong with your videos at all.

More like placing himself on a map :D

Indeed-spanners were wrenches one carried when driving a British car in the 1970's as you had to check under the "bonnet" (hood) daily to see which components had fallen off or needed tightening. It was also a good idea to have a couple of friends ride with you so that they could get out and push to get it started on cold mornings -stick shifts only.

The words "reliable" and "British car" were seldom seen in the same sentence back then. Now, I don't know.

Norris

norrisadair.blogspot.com

Thank you but please don't spend any time (or very much) trying to correct something that may be the fault of my computer....it has been acting up from time to time lately so may be nothing wrong with your videos at all.

I looked through all the videos (99 now apparently) and found half a dozen "locked" as Private even though hundreds had viewed them, so I unlocked them back to their original state. Youtube works in mysterious ways!

Norris

I looked through all the videos (99 now apparently) and found half a dozen "locked" as Private even though hundreds had viewed them, so I unlocked them back to their original state. Youtube works in mysterious ways!

Norris

Thank you....I think I know what I'm going to be watching next weekend (or maybe some evening this week).:)

Norris,

Just wanted to add my thanks for your wonderful and witty review of our beloved Caribbean Princess. We have only sailed on her out of FL....but my BIL/SIL are sailing on her in a few weeks out of TX. I alerted him to this thread....and told him I laughed out loud twice on the first page.

He is following along and taking notes....thanks for giving him a great preview and ideas for while on board. Will be checking out your blog soon...but again....many thanks :)

Norris,

Just wanted to add my thanks for your wonderful and witty review of our beloved Caribbean Princess. We have only sailed on her out of FL....but my BIL/SIL are sailing on her in a few weeks out of TX. I alerted him to this thread....and told him I laughed out loud twice on the first page.

He is following along and taking notes....thanks for giving him a great preview and ideas for while on board. Will be checking out your blog soon...but again....many thanks :)

Thank you for the kind words and for sharing the review with your in-laws. I enjoyed writing the "thing" when it was fresh in my mind, following hot on the heels of a very enjoyable cruise, which I would certainly do again in the future.

I hope some of the excursions appeal to your family members as they were all very memorable.

Meantime I have over 5 months to go before my next cruise and so am writing about some of my land experiences-San Francisco at the minute.

Thanks again!

Norris

norrisadair.blogspot.com