Room assignment with Guarantee - What did you pay for and what'd you wind up with?

own

We almost always just book a "Guarantee" and wait to see what happens. Sometimes we get our room assignment on the pier and they have been some of the best upgrades. That said if you are quite particular about your room or its location I would think that you should pick your room yourself before the cruise.

We were upgraded from an Obstructed Ocean View to what I think is a Mini Suite on Island Princess from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale October 2010. B201, 2, 3 & 4 are directly below the bridge and do not have Balconies where as everything behind them does. Instead the room is much larger.

Were upgraded from Ocean View to Balcony on Star Princess in Europe May 2011. They were having probelms filling the ships in Europe.

Were upgraded from Obstructed ocean View to Ocean View on Island Princess in June 2013 Vancouver to Alaska and back.

Probably our best Upgrade was on Celebrity Millenium Ensenada to Honolulu October 2012. Booked Ocean View and landed in what they call a Family Verandah, one of the Aft cabins on the "M" Class ships with a 250 square foot balcony and the cabin was partitioned into two rooms.

Other times we get more or less what we paid for but have never been disappointed with where we landed for what we paid and quite often we have been thrilled with our room!

Terry

Best upgrade, not on Princess though was Spring Break. Was traveling with 3 moms and 7 college kids. Booked a 5 day Inside Cabin on the Royal Carib. "Liberty of the Seas" M-F trip. Received a phone call 2 weeks before trip asking if I wanted to upgrade to the "Oasis of the Sea" 7 day cruise in an extended Balcony :eek: I told the lady I was traveling with 2 other moms on that "Liberty" cruise and she moved us all over to 3 extended Balcony's for the 7 days Mid ship upper deck!! Best upgrade ever and we paid next to nothing for the Liberty cruise :p

I have only booked a guarantee once on Princess. It really was a spur of the moment cruise. Back in January of 2010, during the economic downturn, the Sapphire Princess had 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises in an obstructed view cabin for $379.00 pp. An amazing price! I booked. I ended up with a full oceanview cabin on Plaza deck. I loved it. I don't think I will ever see a price like that again to Mexico since there are not many ships sailing to the Mexican Riviera now. I was very happy and had a wonderful cruise.

When we booked our upcoming cruise, on the Sapphire Princess, we booked a ME cabin, then found out that we could book a MD for the same price. These are both mini suites, and are wonderful.

Today I was offered an upgrade for so little I won't talk about it, for a S4 Penthouse Suite, on the February 1st cruise. Tonight there are still 10 full suites that sit empty.

And.........many more than that for mini suites. I just hope that Princess will fix their prices so that the west coast will work for them.;)

Rick

I am supposed to leave in 2 days. Have a guarantee for ov obstructed. They called our ta today and offered us a inside with a small ship cr. You all seem to be a lot luckier then me. Still hoping they can do something!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked in a mini-suite guarantee on Ruby Princess, departing 2/20, just 10 days from now. How far in advance does Princess tend to assign a cabin #?
Up until boarding. If you don't have one assigned, tell the porter at the pier, they'll look it up and put a tag on your bag.

Thank you! That's a bummer. I had heard that RCCL assigns guarantees a week in advance. If this just a Princess thing or typically how it is done? I might re-think a guarantee in the future. Just keeping fingers crossed that we get an upgrade!

Hubby and I always book an inside guaranteed cabin in the lowest price category. Our first Princess cruise we got what we paid for, but you only sleep in there anyway.

Second Princess cruise, again booked an inside guarantee in the lowest category. We were upgraded to an obstructed oceanview cabin. A lifeboat was hanging in front of the window. In our opinion a fabulous upgrade.

I am travelling with friends on the Emerald Princess in March, and have again booked an inside guaranteed cabin in the lowest category. Can't wait to see what I get, but as I said, it won't matter as we only sleep there anyway.

Kimm

We always do that too, and we have never had a problem with the cabin we are assigned.

We have always book our cruises through an agent and always chosen the cabin we want. What is the benefit of booking only a guaranteed catagory rather than a specific cabin? Is there a price discount? And if not, why not book a specific cabin?