Noumea Pastry shop and Jinek Bay Q's

Hi, we were in Noumea on a sunday and yes the pastry shop is open. There is a little supermarket next door and you can grab cold drinks from there to have while you eat your pastries in the pastry shop ( we had a guide with us who assured us that is was done all the time) the bread is to die for, so are the little custard filled donuts, they aslo have a good range of filled bagguettes and specialty cakes, my son had the opera cake and couldn't stop raving about it. Yum!!

Cheers maree

Hi Maree,

Thanks for the update. We depart tomorrow and will be calling into Noumea. This pastry shop visit will definitely be a highlight for us - I can't wait. The Opera cake sounds delicious and when it is made properly, it is!

Nicki

Hi Maree,

Thanks for the update. We depart tomorrow and will be calling into Noumea. This pastry shop visit will definitely be a highlight for us - I can't wait. The Opera cake sounds delicious and when it is made properly, it is!

Nicki

Drool! I love Opera cake.

I have to wait until December to try something from this bakery :(

Hi, we were in Noumea on a sunday and yes the pastry shop is open. There is a little supermarket next door and you can grab cold drinks from there to have while you eat your pastries in the pastry shop ( we had a guide with us who assured us that is was done all the time) the bread is to die for, so are the little custard filled donuts, they aslo have a good range of filled bagguettes and specialty cakes, my son had the opera cake and couldn't stop raving about it. Yum!!

Cheers maree

Thanks Maree.

Did they take AUS$ ?

Hi I just got so confused, but then realised you were on two different threads!!!

In Noumea there is Lemon Bay to snorkel at, not the best (i.e not as colourful as the others), but you can take a tour to Amadee Island (spelling!) or Escapade Island. If you want the details on Escapade just let me know. Jinek Bay is the better one, but I couldn't justify the $15 fee for the 2 kids who would spend only 5 or 10 minutes looking than just want to play in the water.

If you want the absolute best snorkelling you will see in the South Pacific it is actually at Noumea but at Duck Island. Island is easily accessible by water taxi or can book it shore excursion if you want it hassle free :)

Definitely not worth wasting your time with Jinek Bay when the snorkelling at Duck Island is a thousand times better in my opinion, the fish there are unreal. Personally, I think if you did both you would feel underwhelmed by Jinek Bay which seems quite dead and not as many fish these days.