Coral Photo Review Sailed on Jan. 8/14

wilfros

I have searched and found that there are no commercial cameras (3D) that are waterproof (to up to 30 feet deep). This one issue more than all others put together meant that I had to create my own.

BTW: I would love to see some of the 3D photos your son is taking.

My son doesn't need a waterproof camera, so it was easier for him to find a single 3D camera that he liked. Here's a link to some of the 3D photos he put up on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redbeardmathpirate/sets/72157613980506396/with/3280819126/

And here's what his old hand made 3D set up looked like:

3767924378_6d9a70f6e0_z.jpg

3D Camera by Redbeard Math Pirate, on Flickr

Edited by Jasperdo

OK I don't think we are communicating here. The glasses you have (from the movies) will only work on certain 3D TVs. You must have the 3D TV.

Now there is another option but you need to go on the web and purchase red/blue anaglyph glasses. I would be happy to send you a link of where you can get them on the web. Once you have these glasses then I could send you "anaglyph" images that can be viewed in 3D. These are good and certainly fun to view but are not at all the same as watching on a 3D TV.

I could send you a 3D TV File but you would have nothing that would display the image. It must be put on a flash drive or flash stick and plugged in behind a 3D TV to display it.

I hope this clears things up. Sorry for the confusion.

Awww, that sucks. Ok then never mind. For now. :)

My son doesn't need a waterproof camera, so it was easier for him to find a single 3D camera that he liked. Here's a link to some of the 3D photos he put up on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redbeardmathpirate/sets/72157613980506396/with/3280819126/

And here's what his old hand made 3D set up looked like:

3767924378_6d9a70f6e0_z.jpg

3D Camera by Redbeard Math Pirate, on Flickr

Nice setup. Best of all, the cameras are synchronized. I gave up a lot in order to have the setup waterproof. Perhaps some day I can have something like this. Ah ... to dream....

just had a quick look at his flicker account. Nice clean sharp photos. Will take more time later and have a good look at them. I never get tired of looking at 3D photos and what others are doing with them. He looks like a pro.

Thanks for sharing :D

Edited by wilfros

Wilfros, thanks so much for the pictures and feedback on your cruise. With those pictures being so detailed it is like being there. With our crappy winter it is helping me get through by reading your thread. I noticed quite a few from our roll call for March 15th have interacted with you and it is much appreciated with your timely responses to others questions.

Wilfros - thank you for this thread. I have thought about the Panama Canal cruise but it wasn't high on my list. Now it is. You should sell this cruise for Princess! I loved your pictures of Cartegena. This is definitely somewhere I have wanted to go since I met a Personal Trainer I worked with who was from Columbia.

Linda, Jess and Sally are here soon. Sally expressed interest in this cruise. I will see if I can persuade them to lean this way. Save your vaca days and you can join us if we go!

Michelle, That sounds amazing! Are you thinking of going in 2014 or 2015? I have a wedding to attend this year so I will be short on time. I would love to go!

What great photos and reviews. We are going on 4 March. Was concerned about Cartagena as we thought we could take a taxi to the fortress, then take another taxi into old town and taxi back to ship. Could we do this safely? The travel mayhem worries me - how long is the taxi ride to fortress or old town?

I'm afraid we are part of the mutineers or riff raff going ashore at Panama Canal but won't hold this against you!!!!! We decided we wanted to see Panama City as heard Colon isn't ip to much.

Can't wait for the rest of your review on other ports and hope your health has improved. Skipped a bit on your dual cameras as concentrated on the others. What make is your camera as your photos are terrific?

I actually am retired, but work half days 3 days a week. I work for mental stability and shoe money. :) Although some people would argue that that first part isn't working too well. Hehe

lol

I'm retired too but work 1-2 days in my old office during the spring-summer-fall. In FL, I work from home via computer. I say it keeps me out of trouble and some extra "pin" money for golf and lunch (and let's not forget the wine with lunch :D, lol)

Edited by Tyskie

I felt like I had the whole ship to myself and readied myself for some fantastic photo opportunities. Just as we arrived at the top of the first lock the batteries in my camera died. Can you believe it? After only running for 8 hours non stop taking photo after photo the darn batteries decided to quit on me.

Next post, hopefully later this evening, "Reflections of the Panama Canal".

Thanks for posting about the batteries...............I just got a new camera, will pick up another battery if possible. :)

What great photos and reviews. We are going on 4 March. Was concerned about Cartagena as we thought we could take a taxi to the fortress, then take another taxi into old town and taxi back to ship. Could we do this safely? The travel mayhem worries me - how long is the taxi ride to fortress or old town?

Personally, having now been there and seen all the going ons, I would recommend a "Cab for the Day." We paid 120 dollars total but if you contact the man who's business card I posted earlier, you get the guide who goes everywhere with you and you get a driver. This means you can walk anywhere you want to go and then the driver brings the van to you, you don't have to walk back to the van. Plus everything you do is overseen by the driver. This does not seem proper however, I purchased a coke and by BIL bought a shirt. As the negotiations were taking place the guide entered into the discussion just to ensure we were paying an appropriate amount an not getting gouged.

The drive from the Ship to the fortress was about 30 mins completely because of the traffic just outside the pier. Funny though, when we returned to the ship the traffic was completely gone.

Good Luck

Edited by wilfros

Thanks for posting about the batteries...............I just got a new camera, will pick up another battery if possible. :)

Yes, the batteries, the batteries. Those stupid little things you never even think about for 99.999% of the time, BUT that .001% that remains, can cause you to loose memories of an area you might never see again.

Right now I would pay the price of batteries 10 times over to have had an extra set on hand. But that is much like crying over spilled milk!

While the batteries were working I captured this sunrise photo and you will notice a few people below me on the fore deck of deck 10.

L43copy.jpg

Edited by wilfros

Well I made an announcement at the end of my last post. I stated "Tomorrow's Post - Our Big Disappointment. Well, I completely forgot about on whole port of Call. So much for my memory; that a whole shore excursion could just disappear. Boy, talk about old age.

Anyway, today we are going to visit Limon Costa Rica. Limon itself seemed quite under developed and there were few signs of things changing. There was little to no construction but there were many buildings and huts in various stages of disrepair.

Once out of the city the landscape quickly became beautiful and untouched. Each time we crossed a bridge, on way to our kayak adventure, the creek below led our eyes to pristine panoramic view of the jungle's edge. The number of plants and flowers that we had never seen before was impossible to count. While there were countless colours in view, the overwhelming colour was green. Many Many different shades but everywhere you looked it was green.

After an hour of travel, directly south of the Cruise Pier in Limon, we arrived at a little village where we were transferred over to an all wheel drive truck for the final couple of miles into the jungle, with our kayaks on the back.

Mainstreet of the village where we stopped en-route to our kayaking.

CostaRicaA1.jpg

We launched in a little river that ran alongside the jungle's edge but on the other side the Caribbean Sea was in view and within hearing distance. We paddled for about 200 yards and then made a turn into the rainforest. Within moments, there were no further signs of the ocean and all evidence of humans had completely disappeared. the water was clear but not at all deep. My guess would be that at it's deepest the river might have been 5 feet deep

CostaRicaA4.jpg

Now, being a jungle, there never seemed to be any real solid ground. Everywhere you stepped you were in "muck". One time when my wife got out of the kayak, at shore, she sunk up to her hip in this stuff, and it took the rest of us to pull her out.

I don't have a photo of that as I was busy helping her get out. But.. the muck was such that it did bother my Sister. She really did not like this kind of thing and everywhere possible she chose to remain in her kayak rather than chance sinking into the mud.

CostaRicaA2.jpg

We were a little disappointed in the small amount of kayaking that took place that day, however, I did want the opportunity to be in a jungle, I guess I can't be fussy. I imagine this is the conditions one must expect if they want to go into surroundings such as this.

Lets, be clear, the views, the smells and the wildlife was outstanding. I could not get close enough to get photos, but everywhere you looked the trees were filled with Howler Monkeys. Boy do they deserve their name. The trees they were in had to be over 80 yards away, but when two or more monkeys decided to scream you could hardly hear yourself think.

CostaRicaA3.jpg

This whole trip was quite beautiful and we have a kayak trip that we can now check off our bucket list (kayaking with the monkeys in a Central America Jungle)

Here is the Juxtaposition of our cruise. Our guide, in the middle of the tropical jungle, miles from anywhere and he is texting! You just can't get away from those phones, and I couldn't resist taking the photo.

CostaRicaA5.jpg

Getting Coconuts... More about this in my next post.

CostaRicaA6.jpg

Edited by wilfros

Well Whimsey;

After much ado about something, I have finally beat her into submission and she has reluctantly given up the business card you have been waiting for!

I hope you appreciate it, as I will be paying for this for some time if you know what I mean :(

photo.jpg

If you can contact Edgar, I am certain you will be happy with the tour he provides. Good Luck

I do appreciate your efforts and have sent an email. Thank you!

Reflections7.jpg

Reflections9.jpg

Reflections8.jpg

Tomorrow's Post - Our Big Disappointment.

We were fortunate enough years ago to have a tour of the bridge. I was amazed at the size of the wiper blades on the ships windows. My husband still laughs, of all the things to look at on the bridge and I was fascinated with the size of the wipers.

I carry a spare set of batteries for every camera in my kit - at least for one each (and I typically carry up to 6 cameras - Nikon D90, Fuji Finepix, Pentax Optix waterproof, 2 Go Pros, Nikon 7000). I get mine from amazon generally - either a wasabi battery or one from Certified Battery (amazon seller) have had good luck with those..

Yes, the batteries, the batteries. Those stupid little things you never even think about for 99.999% of the time, BUT that .001% that remains, can cause you to loose memories of an area you might never see again.

Right now I would pay the price of batteries 10 times over to have had an extra set on hand. But that is much like crying over spilled milk!

We were fortunate enough years ago to have a tour of the bridge. I was amazed at the size of the wiper blades on the ships windows. My husband still laughs, of all the things to look at on the bridge and I was fascinated with the size of the wipers.

Everything about the bridge is impressive. The size of the panes of glass were huge and yes the wiper blades were big. LOL

I carry a spare set of batteries for every camera in my kit - at least for one each (and I typically carry up to 6 cameras - Nikon D90, Fuji Finepix, Pentax Optix waterproof, 2 Go Pros, Nikon 7000). I get mine from amazon generally - either a wasabi battery or one from Certified Battery (amazon seller) have had good luck with those..

Hard to believe, at this age, I am still learning lessons, and I learned a big one that day. :o

Horseback Riding on the Beach

CostaRicaB1.jpg

A quiet point during the Kayak Trip

CostaRicaB2.jpg

Thanks for the posts.

Edited by wilfros

At the end of my last "story" post I posted a photo of our guide climbing a coconut tree to get us some of the fruit.

We carried the fruit back to our launch point and there the guide slammed the green husk against a tree truck until torn.

Coconut1.jpg

Coconut2.jpg

Once torn enough he then pulled the husk off the nut.

Coconut3.jpg

Then, it was amazing, he just picked up a small smooth rock from the beach area and started hitting the nut around the top.

Coconut4.jpg

He then just lifted the "lid" off the nut and offered us each our own "glass" of coconut milk to drink

Coconut5.jpg

The only thing missing was the rum. That would have made it perfect. Actually I was a little surprised that nice little fruit didn't have the rum inside waiting for us.

Edited by wilfros

Theres that one and there is no such thing as too many memory cards..

Fortunately your Limon day went better than ours..

Loonbeam; Please elaborate as some reader, about to visit Limon, would like to hear both sides.

Just because we had a good day doesn't mean that other things can't happen.

If others agree that we would like this story, please let Loonbeam know.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by wilfros

After our kayak adventure we stopped off at one of Costa Rica's National Parks. While we did not have a lot of time we ran through hoping to see a Sloth or two, but no such luck.

CostaRicaB1-1.jpg

We did see some interesting animals, have a look at this little guy. I am sorry but for the world of me I do not know what he is called. Miniature Dinosaur Maybe??

CostaRicaB2-1.jpg

CostaRicaB4.jpg

And then, of course, it is impossible to arrive back at the ship and not take a photo of her sitting in the sun, waiting for us.

CostaRicaB3.jpg

OK, so after a false start I think I can now announce that the next post will be about our big disappointment.

Edited by wilfros

Loonbeam; Please elaborate as some reader, about to visit Limon, would like to hear both sides.

Just because we had a good day doesn't mean that other things can't happen.

If others agree that we would like this story, please let Loonbeam know.

Thanks in advance.

Do tell - "the good, the bad & the ugly" :)

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

Thank you very much for your review. My DH and I will be taking this cruise on March 26th and this is great. You indicated that there were numerous talks providing information on the canal. Were these broadcast on the stateroom televisions for viewing if we miss the live presentation? Thanks

Thank you very much for your review. My DH and I will be taking this cruise on March 26th and this is great. You indicated that there were numerous talks providing information on the canal. Were these broadcast on the stateroom televisions for viewing if we miss the live presentation? Thanks

All the video presentations were made available in the staterooms but the port talks and historical personal presentations, I don't believe were on the TV. I could be wrong but I don't believe so.

Edited by wilfros