Have you been to Cinque Terra? ...a few details please.

computerworks

I will be traveling with my wife, who has some mobility issues and am trying to plan a route that is possible without a great amount of stair climbing.

If you have been to Cinque Terra:

1. In each of the villages, exactly where is the train station? Looking to see which stops are not a long walk to the village center...or if one of the villages is just a bad idea.

2. The walk from Riomaggiore to Manarolo seems to be the shortest and the most popular (from the videos I have seen.) Is it smoothly paved? ...such that, if necessary, we could make it to Manarolo with a transit chair?

3. Which of the villages is the "worst" task for limited mobility?

Any advice is greatly appreciated if you have been there and done that. ;)

Thanks

It is the CINQUE (Five) TERRE (Lands).

1. In each of the villages, exactly where is the train station? Looking to see which stops are not a long walk to the village center...or if one of the villages is just a bad idea.

Rimaggiore - station is between two rail tunnels. Underground passage with steps leads to inland side where a flat pedestrian tunnel heads back underground towards La Spezia . At the end of this tunnel it is steeply uphill to the inland part of the village . Down stairs underground to the right and more stairs leads to the seaside .

Manarola - station between two hills . Underground passage (sottopassagio) with steps links two platforms . Flat pedestrian tunnel on inland side links station to village . Turn right at end tunnel steeply uphill, or up stairs to waterfront .

Corniglia - 300 steps up from station to village or there is a shuttle bus .

Vernazza - More stairs and underground passages here . Probably the worst village for disability access.

Monterosso - Railway station is in the new town. Stairs and underground passage links both sides of station . Pedestrian/Road tunnel links the old and new towns. Relatively flat this village.

2. The walk from Riomaggiore to Manarolo seems to be the shortest and the most popular (from the videos I have seen.) Is it smoothly paved? ...such that, if necessary, we could make it to Manarolo with a transit chair?

There are several steps at the Riomaggiore end, reasonably well paved.

The lovers Walk between Manarola and Riomaggiore is currently closed. Expected to re-open some time in 2014, so check . Remember this is Italia and things take time !

3. Which of the villages is the "worst" task for limited mobility?

Really the only CT village that would be wheelchair accessible to any meaningful extent is Monterosso.

Suggestion take the 1000am or 1100am ferry from Portovenere to Monterosso and you will get to see all the villages from the coast as the ferry calls at all villages except Corniglia. Trip time 75 minutes. In Monterosso ferry arrives in old town. (Train station is in new town.)

To get to Portovenere (From La Spezia) take Bus P from Stop P in Via Garabaldi near Corso Cavour departing at 25 & 55 minutes past the hour.

Trip time to portovenere is 30 minutes. Then gentle down hill walk to ferry departure point on waterfront . Train back from Monterosso to La Spezia or ferry back to Portovenere.

It is close to one and one half hour from Livorno. You would most likely need to arrange transportation. We took a private tour. We were dropped off at Portoverene and then took the ferry stopping at Vernazza and Monterosso. Many stairs everywhere and uneven pavement. That being said, one member of our group fell on the stairs in the Grand atrium of the Spirit a few days before. She moved slowly, but sHe did OK.

Getting on the ferry at Portoverene was easy, Not sure about getting off the ferry at Monterosso. As I remember it was more like walking the plank? Take a look at Cornishpastyman1's video found in this thread. Wish you the best, it is beautiful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1971200

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks so much...these are great responses.

I am starting to concoct a plan using train and ferry to get the most out of the day, and see as much as we can.

Our trip is in July 2014, so I hope the Riomaggiore to Manarolo walkway is back in service by then.

Thanks so much...these are great responses.

I am starting to concoct a plan using train and ferry to get the most out of the day, and see as much as we can.

Our trip is in July 2014, so I hope the Riomaggiore to Manarolo walkway is back in service by then.

Great, I hope you have a wonderful time. It helps that you will be in La Spezia.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Great resources. I would also suggest you check out Rick Steves Italy guide - he is a huge fan of the Cinque Terre and covers it in detail in his guides.

I had the pleasure of hearing him speak at the Chicago Travel Show this month. his enthusiasm for European travel is infectious!!