ENSENADA for spring break 2014

AllAboutALEX

2 friends and I will be taking a carnival cruise to Ensenada (March 16-20)...

What places would you suggest for spring breakers? We are 23 and would like to have fun but also be safe ( we WONT walk alone or get so drunk we pass out). We were thinking about taking carnivals bus to Rosarito for Papas and Beer.

Rosarito is far (1 hour+), and the best road has had recent problems

you would visit Rosarito in the middle of the day, Rosarito party spots will be dead. We live in San Diego and Rosarito (30 minutes away) is not nearly as popular with the spring break crowd any more. The Mexico scare is alive and well here in San Diego

Legendary Hussongs, and the nearby party area, is right near the cruise pier in Ensenada

Get a Hussongs T-Shirt, a bumper sticker, browse the Hussongs walls of fame pictures, and stroll the area taco stands and many nearby watering holes, all 10 minutes from the ship.

If you are visiting on a Saturday, and the weather happens to be a sunny calm 80+ degrees, go for Rosarito. It could be an epic experience.

It is rarely 80+ degrees in mid March here at the beach in SoCal (same weather as Rosarito)

Otherwise... suggest you go to the Hussongs area of Ensenada

Scratch your plans...seriously it is not worth the risk. Rosarito is nice, but it's also an hour away, plus it is a bit out of the way and all that is happening down there right now, it's just not worth it...

My opinion: you guys would have a better time at Hussongs, which is not far from the pier...lots of college people go there ...you are likely to make new friends there. You can have your beer party and still be on time for the sailaway.

Please ---I don't wanna read about you on CNN's website. Just go to Hussongs.

There's also a couple of other college hangouts near Husssongs, that I can't remember (alcohol killed my memory cells :D) Also, Hussongs serves terrific FOOD.

Why travel? There is a pretty active Papas and Beer in Ensenada. They still have the 2 story place on the corner of Ruiz and Mateos, but they also bought the Mango Mango across the street. It is just a couple of doors down from Hussongs Cantina, and there is a GREAT taco place (Mexico Lindo) in between them. Start with a couple of 2 for 1 margaritas at Hussongs, then grab a couple of tacos at Mexico Lindo, then hang out at P&B and do a few upside down tequila shots....

There are mini buses at the dock that transport people into town for $3 round trip. The spot that they drop you off (and pick you back up) is only 3 blocks from P&B. Quick walk and you are partying. :D

Bob

I'm old and walk around Ensenada with no problem.

Just watch out for the sidewalks. Off the main tourist street there are open utility boxes in them.

The fast road to Rosarito has been washed out. Recently someone posted pictures of the road. It will take a while for it to be replaced.

Ensenada will be just as much of a party as Rosarito, maybe even more because of all the cruise ships and spring breakers like you are realizing the short cruises are a great way to let loose for a few days. As all others have mentioned Hussong's for 2 for 1 margaritas is a good way to start and Tacos Lindos is a must!! Papa's and beer is on the main street and it will be wild with the young cruise crowd! Another fun option since you will be in Ensenada all day is taking the bus tour to La Bufadora...the shuttle you take right when you get off the ship will give you a little flyer for all the cruisers to take the bus tour $15 p/p takes you round trip to the blowhole, shopping and viewing for a few hours and a complimentary margarita upon arrival. The bus ride is fun too...they stop the bus at a little off the street beer stop and all the people on the bus grab 6-12 packs of their favorite Mexican beer for cheap and get back on the bus drinking the whole drive...maybe even a few break out into song? :D When at the blowhole, a lot of people seem to think it's a little lackluster but I think it's great. The cliffs are gorgeous with water crashing against them (even if the blowhole isn't particularly showy that day) and the little market has great items for souvenirs or gifts. I have a hard time not visiting the blowhole just because of the shopping because I always grab a super nice looking knock off handbang...last year I got a very cute Marc Jacobs bag and my best friend got the cutest Tori Burch clutch. There are quite a few places to get a HUGE michelada or margarita or other drink options while you're shopping along. Banana something's is where you get your free margarita and has a cute bar. Anyway, I think it's great and after driving back the bus will take you right to the center of town where Papa's and Beer is and you can join right in with the party and still have plenty of time in your day! Anyway, I'm only 27 so I know how it is wanting to have a let loose, Mexican adventure while still being safe and you'll find Ensenada is a perfect mixture of party and safe because it is filled with mostly all cruisers, and the locals love the business the cruisers bring! Sorry for the novel, but I hope it helps! :rolleyes: Have a blast!

Why travel? There is a pretty active Papas and Beer in Ensenada. They still have the 2 story place on the corner of Ruiz and Mateos, but they also bought the Mango Mango across the street. It is just a couple of doors down from Hussongs Cantina, and there is a GREAT taco place (Mexico Lindo) in between them. Start with a couple of 2 for 1 margaritas at Hussongs, then grab a couple of tacos at Mexico Lindo, then hang out at P&B and do a few upside down tequila shots....

There are mini buses at the dock that transport people into town for $3 round trip. The spot that they drop you off (and pick you back up) is only 3 blocks from P&B. Quick walk and you are partying. :D

Bob

Mango Mango!!! That's what I was trying to remember...great place.

Hey neighbor! Good to see a fellow Nevadan. Greetings from Reno.

Well i have been with them , and they are usually at bars like papas and beer (BTW they closed the first place they had ) ..

or on a nother bar or at the beach or reting a atvs ..or a golf cart .. usually like 5-7 on it ! lol ...

Rosarito is a nice , ask any tourist that has taken that tour. I been there and the beaches are nice But yes but around 1 hour of driving and will be slower if you take the big busses. taxi will be quicker ,at this moment personally i would not do it if i were to take does big busses

There is many many options.

Edited by Dave_Baja

P.S I really dont recommend driking when comming , seen many things i would not like to tell about because of it

I personally love Mexican fresh flavored water tamarindo,lemon,orchata etc

Edited by Dave_Baja

We live in San Diego and regularly go to Mexico on both cruises and land vacations.

I would go to the Papas & Beer in Ensenada. Across the street is Hussong's but most of the action is usually at P&B. You can walk there and have more than enough fun and libation without taking hours out of your day to go to Rosarito and face the possibility of missing the ship because of transportation problems.

Even without the transportation issues, I would choose P&B in Ensenada.

Cheers.

We live in San Diego and regularly go to Mexico on both cruises and land vacations.

I would go to the Papas & Beer in Ensenada. Across the street is Hussong's but most of the action is usually at P&B. You can walk there and have more than enough fun and libation without taking hours out of your day to go to Rosarito and face the possibility of missing the ship because of transportation problems.

Even without the transportation issues, I would choose P&B in Ensenada.

Cheers.

Actually P&B is next door to Hussong's, not across the street. They moved into the space where Mango Mango was 1-2 years ago.