Grand Princess left a couple on Maui

DougH

Yes. That's my understanding since they were not on the ship when it sailed so technically, they disembarked in a US port other than the embarkation port. Every HI cruise I've been on, they strongly emphasized making it back to the ship on time.

I seem to remember that the warning was made in the Patters for every Hawaiian port on our three cruises on that itinerary, with the fine listed (even though often the CDs will say it's the Jones Act, which we know is incorrect).

And adding to the complexity of missing the ship is the possibility that a port can be missed.

The night before any port, I always put certain items with my purse before I go to sleep: my camera, my photo ID, my guide book/map, and the Patter. Not only does the Patter always list the port agent, but also the time to be back on board -- which helps if people with you start disagreeing about this. The idea of taking a photo of the Patter with this info may be a good idea for some -- but if you're taking lots of photos, then you have to spend time going back to that one photo. Having the paper in your purse or backpack takes seconds to retrieve and look over.

We always plan to be back on board at least an hour before sailaway, but then we usually don't go more than say 15 miles (most of the time, it's only five or so miles) at the very most, unless we're on a Princess-booked excursion. The only time we weren't back on a ship by the scheduled time was our Skagway tour. The guide knew to be in touch with the ship (we were all from the Sapphire) and so the ship waited for us (our names were read though as our girl heard it).

That's when you need to have the name and phone number of the Port Agent with you. They will help by contacting the ship and making alternate arrangements etc. Don't leave the ship with out it!

Having had to stay at a port (not because of missing the ship) I can tell you Port Agents Are Wonderful. OK, I don't know them all. But if they are anything like the Port Agent who I dealt with, they are angels of mercy. Please always have their contact information.