Ribeye or Filet?

goduckies05

Actually od believe they call it a filet mignon. Good but not quite what they advertise.

They do advertise it as a filet mignon. It is a good cut for being a basic breakfast steak but it isn't filet mignon. lol About on par with the flat iron steak, if not just a little more tender. I wonder why they call it a filet mignon when it clearly isn't.

Every time I eat in the steakhouse, I get the fillet MEDIUM RARE.....please don't make your meat a hockey puck :-) Very good in the carnival steakhouses. I am not a fan of the bone-in fillet for two reasons...one, there is a tendency to have too much meat left stuck to the bone when you are done (and you have to work to cut the meat off), and even though you will order it say medium rare, the part attached to the bone always gets undercooked. As for the post from the butcher who has never seen a bone-in fillet...see below:

bone-in-filet.jpg

Then you pick the bone up and chew.....

The whole meaning of filet is to remove from the bone. Anyone selling fillet on the bone is trading on people's gullibility. It's a tenderloin on the bone.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/13/14

Carnival Splendor 11/1/14

I find ribeye tricky. I love a ribeye steak that I select at the butcher and grill to a nice medium rare on the BGE...I find sometimes when I'm out and get a ribeye its more like prime rib and is very fatty. I understand the idea of marbled meat and I support it, but sometimes the prime rib is chunks of fat.

at the steakhouse I would stick to the filet and not chance the ribeye. if I'm at home and doing the work, I'll pick the ribeye and enjoy it

I am a fan of a ribeye, the Filet in the steak house left me wanting more.

I was on Splendor last week. First night I had the surf and turf. I had the filet medium rare and it was excellent. I went back to the steakhouse 5 days later. This visit I had the NY strip. I asked for med rare and it came out medium. It was tough and a little gritty. It sounds like the quality of the meat may be slipping. Hopefully not. I will go back to the steakhouse again but I will stick with the filet and may also try the rib eye.:cool:

The whole meaning of filet is to remove from the bone. Anyone selling fillet on the bone is trading on people's gullibility. It's a tenderloin on the bone.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/13/14

Carnival Splendor 11/1/14

So I am gullible because they didn't cut the bone off? It tasted amazing with the bone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

All of the meat served in the steakhouse is prime, so anyway you go you will get a great steak. The filet has very little fat and no connective tissue, so it is one cohesive piece of tender meat. It is also a smaller cut. The ribeye is a larger cut and has some fat and connective tissue. It is also tender, not as tender as a filet, but has a *ton* of flavor comparatively. If you were to ask a chef which cut to choose, 90% would say ribeye. When I grill steaks at home, I always choose a ribeye - however - at the steakhouse on a ship, I prefer to order the surf and turf because I want the lobster too. :D

If you are not a seafood person, go for the ribeye. If not, go for the surf and turf.

Oh and in the MDR, the filet with braised short ribs is the bomb.

Yes, Ribeye is usually somewhat fatty and that is what makes it delicious but like Cruzinbabe DH, my husbands piece was very fatty in the middle and somewhat disappointing. He did eat it all but there definately was more fat then beef.

A rib steak has a higher fat content throughout the meat itself, which is why the meat tastes richer. There may be a solid piece of fat around the edge but that is not typically what we are referring to when we refer to the fat content of the meat.

I find ribeye tricky. ...I find sometimes when I'm out and get a ribeye its more like prime rib and is very fatty.

As perhaps you are aware, that is no coincidence. The rib eye and the prime rib are the same cut from the cow. The difference is the preparation: a rib eye is sliced into steaks and then broiled, whereas the prime rib is roasted and then sliced before serving.

Edited by azlefty

This visit I had the NY strip. I asked for med rare and it came out medium. It was tough and a little gritty.

That would be a huge disappointment if spending big bucks on a steak. Steaks are easy to cook but also very easy to overcook and it is why I never order a steak anywhere except a steak restaurant, from someone who just cooks steaks. If mine were overcooked, I would be very tempted to send it back and ask for a new one.

Perhaps this could be avoided by saying something like "rare, so that it is cool and raw in the middle" or "medium rare, so that it is warm but not hot and pink in the middle"? The times I've been to a carnival steakhouse, my wait staff spoke English as a second language and I'm not sure they could have appreciated this level of nuance.

So I was thinking of ordering the lobster and filet, although I do love a good ribeye. We're dining at the steakhouse the first night and believe they will be serving surf and turf the following night for elegant night. Is the surf and turf in the steakhouse much better/different than the MDR?

So I am going on the Miracle this come week. Do i get the ribeye or filet? I enjoy both equally? Brad

My immediate thought was ..."YES"! ;) But - I'm guessing that's not really the answer you were looking for... :cool:

Another thought.....have your table mate get one and you get the other. That way you can have BOTH! ;) :D

Ok so I am going for the bone in cowboy Ribeye. Can't wait...

Good choice!!

I think this time - since we are going more than once - I will finally get to try the "spice-rubbed prime ribeye steak". WAY too much steak for me :eek: - but I'm betting it's reaaaallllly good! ;) :D

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say I was unimpressed with the bone in Ribeye on the Miracle. Service was great as were the apps but the steak was not that great. Went home and enjoyed outbacks bone in Ribeye much more...