How's your luggage?

clinthi

I don't even bother buying "good" luggage anymore. I have found that my luggage will survive about 7 flights or TWO cruises. That's it.

We never bother with brand names, get cheap things that work for us, concerned only with convenience: pockets, wheels, weight. My favorite "Lanza" 24" was bought probably 20 years ago. The only item we replace are those "borrowed" by now adult children :p

I remember a promotion by Princess that gave us a "free" 24" Samsonite. It was much heavier than our suitcase we've been using, so we gave it away.

By far my biggest issue is with the zipper pulls, that routinely break off.

Many zipper pulls are too small to use. I've added split rings to the zipper pull bases.

DD flown LAX-FCO with an old brown tweed suitcase from the 80s. Still has all it's wheels and looks as good as when we purchased it at Goodwill.

Edited by SadieN

Many zipper pulls are too small to use. I've added split rings to the zipper pull bases.

DD flown LAX-FCO with an old brown tweed suitcase from the 80s. Still has all it's wheels and looks as good as when we purchased it at Goodwill.

Actually, zipper pulls are designed to detach at a certain pressure point. If they didn't, and the zipper pull gets trapped, say in a conveyor belt, your whole bag could be destroyed. I suppose some of the cheaper brands just use a pull that is so flimsy you could probably pry it off with a pair of pliers. I don't know, I'll have to check that out. The brands I'm most familiar with, the pull has a notch in it to allow the pull to come off @ 75 lbs. pressure.

Some companies supply extra zipper pulls, we have a bag full of certain brands under our counter, we give them away free. Or, you can contact the manufacturer (?) and receive more. I know we carry Eagle Creek zipper pulls that are usable on any piece of luggage, they are in colors and some people buy them just for an identifier.

My first suitcase was purchased in the 50s for a trip to Peru with a friend whose sister was getting married. She saw it and asked if she could borrowed it for her honeymoon in Argentina and of courses I said yes.

After graduation (and a year to save some money) I took it to Europe where it spent every day for 3 months in a luggage rack on top of the car. Only damage was a crease in it from the rack, after being loaded about 85 times.

I never could wear it out, but now it is to heavy for the planes, and without wheels, for me too.

No longer buy quality, just use duck tape when needed on cheap luggage.

We've thrashed our luggage over the years. Grande Roja (big red) was ourfavorite. I now have a beautiful set of soft cover luggage with a cover. It goes through security and can be removed for inspection. I can use it three drawers plus the over thedoor bag, or as a regular suitcase, or with a hang up bag inside. With 10days to go, not sure which configuration to use. Decisons decisions....

I bought new luggage from the shopping channel in Canada last month. It was a little expensive, 3 pieces for 253, reg 450. I think this luggage might last pretty good because when the postman brought it he said by the condition of the parcel (looked like it had been dragged 500 miles, several large holes in the box right down to the luggage) that it was for sure damaged. He even left a special number to report it to the post office. I opened up the box, wiped off the dirt and it was in pristine condition, not a scratch on it. It is light-weight-hard shelled luggage. I am impressed by how many compartments and the two sides are zippered. I also ordered packing cubes and I am very impressed by those as well.