Snorkeling in ketchikan

moposh

Has anyone snorkeled in Ketchikan? In August?

Or should I save my money since I've already spent it all at the other ports and just walk around town? Thanks!

I wouldn't consider a snorkel a must in Alaska...(caribbean=yes)..Ketchikan is a great little walk around town...but if you did want to something fun try the Bering Sea Crab Tour...this can be booked directly on their website...it's one of our favorite things to do in Ketchikan.

I enjoyed snorkeling in St. Thomas, so was interested to see it offered for Alaska, but I was wondering what kind of underwater sights I would see.

I may just do a DUCK tour or walk around. I'm not really into seafood and the crab tour costs more than snorkeling! But thanks for the recommendation.

It's not my interest but I know that there are brightly colored starfish along the coast ... bright purple is the most common. You can also see them if you walk along the shore in most places in the Pacific NW.

Do a SEARCH to find information. Go the Alaska forum, SEARCH THIS FORUM and use the word 'snorkle' and you'll find threads such as this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1427981&highlight=snorkle

Ketchikan is a lovely port town and has an interesting history. The visitor centers provide free maps for a walking tour of the town. Plus you can take a city bus out to Totem Bight Park which has a great display of totems plus it's in a lovely waterfront setting.

Edited by mapleleaves

I have to say that snorkeling in Ketchikan was amazing. The tour wins nearly every year on Princess as one of the top tours in Ketchikan so I had to find out what the big deal was. Let me tell you, it exceeded all of my expectations. I've also snorkeled and scuba dived in many gorgeous places but this one was one of those 'once in a lifetimes' things. The water is crystal clear, the colors are incredible, and the guides are excellent. It's highly recommended! Here's more info...

I also love the Duck tour and Bering Sea so it's a hard one for me to choose but I loved, loved, loved the snorkel tour! Enjoy...

I have to say that snorkeling in Ketchikan was amazing. The tour wins nearly every year on Princess as one of the top tours in Ketchikan so I had to find out what the big deal was. Let me tell you, it exceeded all of my expectations. I've also snorkeled and scuba dived in many gorgeous places but this one was one of those 'once in a lifetimes' things. The water is crystal clear, the colors are incredible, and the guides are excellent. It's highly recommended! Here's more info...

I also love the Duck tour and Bering Sea so it's a hard one for me to choose but I loved, loved, loved the snorkel tour! Enjoy...

Thanks so much for the info. Enjoyed your narrative and pictures/videos. I can't wait to snorkel in Alaska. Just have to convince my mother to do it too.

We could also do the DUCK tour as I think there's time before snorkeling, but we'll see.

Snorkeling in Ketchikan is a great experience. You see such different things than in the tropical waters. I took my nephew and typical teenager wasn't too excited about it, but he was so glad he went, he loved it. I was nervous about cold water, but it is not bad. Then at the end we poured warm water over our suits which was a nice touch. Of course the bragging rights are also fun, how many people can say they snorkeled in Alaska!