Cruising while going through chemo

sherilyn70

I'm just curious if anyone has experience with cruising while going through long term (as in until I die most likely) chemo? On Tuesday I'll find out if my cancer has started growing again (a chest x-ray taken yesterday indicated it probably is, getting a CT and PET scan to confirm) which means I'll be starting on chemo permanently at that point. I have a cruise scheduled in June and of course I do plan to talk to a doctor about it. I know he believes in giving me quality over quantity at this stage but I want to maximize it as much as possible in both ways. What was your experience (or if you are a caregiver what was the person you were with) trying to do this and still do a port intensive cruise? I made sure we had good insurance in case I do get too sick and have to cancel but I really don't want it to come down to that. :)

my DH and I did 8 cruises while he was on chemo. he received chemo every two wks so we were able to arrange our cruises around his

chemo schedule. we made sure he stayed hydrated (ordered a water

package so we could monitor his intake). he had to be careful about the

sun/heat (lots of sun screen). he took lots of naps on the balcony listing

to books on his ipod.

we had our doctors blessing to take the trips. he said to use common

sense.

I hope this helps

I'm sorry to hear of your Health problems. In 2004 We went on a Alaska cruise that was scheduled before my wife got cancer. It was a dialysis at seas cruise for her twin sister. My wife had a lumpectomy before the cruise and was in the middle of chemo during the cruise. We went on an off week and she did very well but was tired. It worked out well because when her sister dialyzed she rested and I got to explore. We are on cruise number 10 in march for her and her sisters 50th Birthday. My wife is nearly 10 years cancer free and her sister has received another for a total of three kidney transplants but she is off of dialysis. I hope you do well with your cruise we just went at there pace and know we cant do everything.:)

Thank you for the replies so far, they have been helpful. :) Only being a few months away the long term build up may not have hit me yet... but I will be making sure my hemoglobin is tested to make sure I have energy. If it isn't then I'll get a transfusion before I go to get a full tank. The first rounds of chemo Feb-July of last year took a huge toll on me but it was also an extremely intense treatment that can only be done 6 times before you hit the FDA lifetime max allowed on it.

50 is my long term goal right now (that would be 6 years from now), it's longer than the statistics show... so it gives me something to reach for.

I hope for the very best for you.

I took my cousin on a Med cruise three days after she finished her chemo after a second ocurrance of breast cancer and a second mastectomy. She didn't have hair, and she tired easily, but she did well. She slept when she needed to, and took easier tours.

I really hope you can take your cruise.

My father cruised over Christmas & first week on January after going through 6 rounds of chemotherapy. He enjoyed himself & came home to more test, beginning more radiation & cruising again in April. My fathers' doctors also are encouraging him to live & enjoy!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I say go and have a great time. I truly believe in the saying quality over quantity. Haven taken care of my Dad when he had lung cancer that metastasized to brain and now taking care of my mother; who was 4 years cancer free, have her cancer return and now refusing any treatment. Go and enjoy your life. Have a great time. As people have said above just make sure you keep well hydrated and definitely watch you blood levels.

• 1 month later...

This is kind of late, but I hope it helps:

-have your doctor or nurse practioner double check your blood counts in the run up to your cruise, particularly your white blood counts. If they are low (making you more vulnerable to infection), you may be able to get a white cell booster like neulasta to help your immune system. You might also choose to wear a face mask (surgical mask) in crowded situations.

-buy a very large bottle of sunscreen and use it! Chemo makes your skin incredibly sensitive. When my dad was on chemo he once got sunburn by riding in a car. I'd also recommend a big sunhat (you can get some really cute ones) and light-weight, long-sleeved clothes.

-Prepare to be hot and cold- layers are your friend.

-write up or have your doctor/np/chemo nurse/medical person write up a complete list of all of your medications, including their generic names, and other common names, dosages, and why you are taking them. I'd also include a contact list of your physicians, chemo clinic, etc. A list like this was incredibly helpful to our family, both at home and away.

A listing might read "Tylenol. Generic name: Acetaminophen, also known as paracetamol. 300mg by mouth once daily as needed. Prescriber: Dr. Joe Smith"

-lastly, take your time. Allow yourself to relax, nap if needed, meander instead of rushing, and just enjoy yourself!

This is kind of late, but I hope it helps:

-have your doctor or nurse practioner double check your blood counts in the run up to your cruise, particularly your white blood counts. If they are low (making you more vulnerable to infection), you may be able to get a white cell booster like neulasta to help your immune system. You might also choose to wear a face mask (surgical mask) in crowded situations.

-buy a very large bottle of sunscreen and use it! Chemo makes your skin incredibly sensitive. When my dad was on chemo he once got sunburn by riding in a car. I'd also recommend a big sunhat (you can get some really cute ones) and light-weight, long-sleeved clothes.

-Prepare to be hot and cold- layers are your friend.

-write up or have your doctor/np/chemo nurse/medical person write up a complete list of all of your medications, including their generic names, and other common names, dosages, and why you are taking them. I'd also include a contact list of your physicians, chemo clinic, etc. A list like this was incredibly helpful to our family, both at home and away.

A listing might read "Tylenol. Generic name: Acetaminophen, also known as paracetamol. 300mg by mouth once daily as needed. Prescriber: Dr. Joe Smith"

-lastly, take your time. Allow yourself to relax, nap if needed, meander instead of rushing, and just enjoy yourself!

Most of these are things already done since this is an ongoing battle (I stated in January 2013). Turns out im not strong enough for more chemo, my bone marrow is permanently damaged from the previous chemo and radiation treatments. We're now considering more radical measures that normally are only done when at final end staging. I've started the process of going onto SSDI, I'm currently on short term from work. They put me on an inhibitor called votrient which has made me extremely tired and is causing various dietary issues. I'm not 100% sure I'll be well enough to go in June but I'm setting or as a high priority.

I continue to need transfusions every 6 weeks or so to raise hemoglobin above 7. Platelets are not as easy to regenerate unfortunately and they dumped down to 23k after a bad case of pneumonia. I know my husband will do everything he can to make sure I go and can participate in activities and I have to rethink which tours I can handle. I might not get to enjoy the MDR either but I plan to do my best to make this trip happen and enjoy it. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I too am undergoing chemo at present but I decided to go on a cruise as it is one of my favorite things to do. After approval from my physician, I booked a 7 days cruise to Bermuda with my daughter, sister and some friends. I choose Bermuda because of the more leisurely pace with staying in one port for three days. Iam quite weak from my 2 years of various chemos and have limited mobility so I will be using both a wheelchair and a scooter while there. Did not book any excursions because I dont know how I will feel. Plan on doing a lot of balcony resting with short trips off the ship while allowing my group to explore as they want. Thank you all for some insight as this is my first trip since getting sick. I want to wish the OP the best of luck with any future treatments. :)