Grand Circle River Cruises vs other European River Cruises

Wapak

How do they compare? Which river cruise companies are the "best" to use? I am meaning good food, land tours, accommodations, etc. I would like to book a tour for Germany this year. Please Help. Thanks.;)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!! Hope that we are able to help you with your planning...

If you are planning to travel this year, availability might drive your choices. If you are set on an itinerary, and a date --> you might need to look at what is still available. It might help if you have a good TA, or someone else to assist.

"Best" is subjective... So, you might want to start looking on this board for postings on an itinerary, or ask specific questions. Just as many similarities as differences IMHO.

Have fun planning!!!

Fran

If you do a search, you can find some comparisons. The best? Probably Tauck. Others love AMA, Uniworld, Viking, etc. You specifically asked about Grand Circle. GCT only books directly, not through travel agents and is less expensive than most of the main river cruise providers. GCT beds on their river cruises are "murphy" beds that fold up into the wall during the day. This eliminates them entirely from some folks' consideration.

Personally, I've done 2 Uniworld cruises (Rhine and Douro) and one GCT (Seine, in Dec. '13). GCT is much less expensive, and I was very happy with their product. Want all-inclusive? Consider Uniworld and Tauck. Have fun with your research! Everyone here loves to answer questions!

As noted by a pp, GCT only books directly . . . no TA commissions. You will need to do your own legwork, but their web site is user friendly as are their phone reps.

We have only used GCT for river and small ship cruises, so I can't give any comparisons. That said, we have been totally satisfied with our experiences and see no need to look around at other, more expensive providers.

One caution. Their trip insurance does not give you cash back for a cancellation, just a credit with them. Also, we found it comparatively expensive but they do not base price on age, so ymmv.

If you decide to travel GCT, I will be more than happy to provide a "reference" that will save you some money.

help to use a TA,cost you nothing and give lots of info.Plus,do all the legwork,bookings,etc. I personally would NOT take a cruise that does not allow them to work with them.As said above, the beds on GCT would be a problem.Plus, caters only to sr.Americans.I like to meet variety of ages and people from other countries also.

In my experience of 10 river cruises on most of the major line,you DO get what you pay for.Keep that in mind.Look at all that s inc.in cruise...shore exc.tips,drinks,cabin(balcony,bed type?).Get a few brochures from some companies.Most of them book up a yr.in advance.

Lots of research for you,right.Remember, try one,if not the right fit.Try another line,next time.;)

We have river cruised with GCT's "sister" (or actual "brother") company Vantage. They own their own ships (in Europe) and DO not have "murphy beds!! We are looking forward to our trip (France) this July on 2 of their newer ships---the River Venture and Discovery ll.

It's easy to book with GCT or Vantage online or by phone. They are extremely helpful. We prefer Vantage as they are more inclusive and stay at better hotels. We have never been disappointed in their Program Managers.

We have also used their trip insurance (for land tours) and gotten full refund when my mom got ill. We tend to use outside insurance now for our trips but do our research before purchasing!

We have done a couple each with Vantage, GCT and Viking. All were EXCELLENT and I would not hesitate to recommend any of the 3. If I were going to book one, I would just choose based on itinerary, dates, availability and price. Guides on all were extremely knowledgeable about the sites we saw but more importantly about the cities and towns we overnighted in and had invaluable information about what to see and do based on personal interests.

help to use a TA,cost you nothing and give lots of info.Plus,do all the legwork,bookings,etc. I personally would NOT take a cruise that does not allow them to work with them.As said above, the beds on GCT would be a problem.Plus, caters only to sr.Americans.I like to meet variety of ages and people from other countries also.

Re: "only sr. Americans." Do you not find that on most river cruises? Especially outside of summer? On my GCT Seine trip there was a 27 year old, a 31 year old, and some under 50s. I think on my first Uniworld trip I was the youngest, and I was 58! And I also have to say that the murphy bed was as comfortable as the regular beds I had on Uniworld.

Oh yes....I do think marketing only to Americans as GCT does is a drawback!! I too prefer a variety of people from other countries.

Edited by Barrheadlass

so another incentive to use them.

Agree, river cruisers TEND to be older.But on some I ve actually had teenagers,and some younger.Liked the mix,but other nationalities(of any age)interesting to talk to.and learn a LOT.

Re.the beds.Now that I m older I like ALL the confort and convenience I can get for my money.Even booked my first Scenic(Luxury)line when I heard they had TUBS,butlers,full balcony,room service.Know I m paying for it,but willing.hahah.:)

As noted by a pp, GCT only books directly . . . no TA commissions. You will need to do your own legwork, but their web site is user friendly as are their phone reps.

We have only used GCT for river and small ship cruises, so I can't give any comparisons. That said, we have been totally satisfied with our experiences and see no need to look around at other, more expensive providers.

One caution. Their trip insurance does not give you cash back for a cancellation, just a credit with them. Also, we found it comparatively expensive but they do not base price on age, so ymmv.

If you decide to travel GCT, I will be more than happy to provide a "reference" that will save you some money.

A correction to CPT Trips regarding insurance. The only time that you are given credit for a future trip rather than a cash refund in when you use the 'cancel for an uncovered reason cause'. If you cancel for a covered reason, you get a prompt full refund, minus the insurance premium. We have collected twice. We have taken 5 cruises with them, as well as 9 land tours, and totally enjoyed them all. I did a blog on the Seine cruise that we thoroughly enjoyed. It is http://jackthetravelingman-seine.blogspot.com/.

As far as TAs are concerned, early in our traveling life, we used them a couple of times and were dissatisfied. No one pays attention to the details of your trip than you. On one GCT cruise, we had a TA and a group of her friends. She said that, even with her discount, she could not match GCTs price and value on another cruise line.

GCTs sole marketing is by word of mouth from current customers and it's web site, http://www.gct.com, with no mass marketing. On almost all trips, more than half are repeat travelers; we have encounted one couple with 28 trips.

They also will package the air fare at very favorable fares, but you can buy you own air if you wish.

Edited by beverlyjack
added paragraph