Stockholm - how to get to vasa museum

lydnsyd

In Stockholm we are docking at Stadsgardskajen on Celebrity's Eclipse. Our main objective is to visit the Vasa Museum before it gets too busy. According to the museum website the museum opens at 10am & From what I have seen the HoHo boats don't start until 10am and will have several stops so we will get there much later.:confused: I would be grateful for any advice as this will be our 1st visit to Stockholm.

The ho-ho boats pick up on the Stadtsgarten quay, very easy.

Yes, the regular ho-hos' route is clockwise, making Vasa one of the last stops, mebbe an hour later.

But up 'til mid-morning they also offer a route direct from ship to Vasa, taking mebbe 10 minutes.

Sorry, don't know if the direct route operates before 10am - I suspect there's insufficient demand for ho-ho's from normal vacationers before 10am, but for cruisers there will certainly be demand from about 9.00 to 9.30 and if I were running the ho-ho's I'd want them to start earning as early in the day as possible.

We'd taken a free shuttle (weren't on Celebrity) into Gamla Stan, had a coffee, then took a regular ho-ho boat to Vasa from there - I guess we arrived around 11am. No problem, but by the time we left the crowds were very noticeably greater. Numbers are limited, when the hall reaches capacity the line is held until some have left.

The ship is impressive, and in a remarkable state of preservation.

JB :)

In Stockholm we are docking at Stadsgardskajen on Celebrity's Eclipse. Our main objective is to visit the Vasa Museum before it gets too busy. According to the museum website the museum opens at 10am & From what I have seen the HoHo boats don't start until 10am and will have several stops so we will get there much later.:confused: I would be grateful for any advice as this will be our 1st visit to Stockholm.

It is true that the Vasa Museum opens at 10am now. But from June 1 until August 31 it opens at 8.30.

I believe that when there are cruise ships at Stadsgården the Ho/Ho bots will go there in the morning to take passengers directly to Vasa. That is not in their regular schedule .

Edited by north-bound

In June 2011 at 9AM the passengers off of the Pearl of the Seas were given a choice of destination we all voted to go to Vasa first,we were told next Ho Ho boat would follow regular route.The crews seemed eager to please later in the day boat backtracked to accommodate an elderly couple,it was a very hot day.

We were in Stockholm two years ago. Our ship was docked at Stadtsgarden 167. We got off the ship very quickly /9.15 a.m.).

People at the dock were handling out pamphlets and maps for it, pointing wich way to go. You have to turn left as you gett off the ship and the boat is at the end of the dock (app. 150-200m). You really can't miss it. When we were there they sold the tickets (cash or credit cards) for single trip or all day use off the boat. There is no need to buy tickets in advance. We were among the first on the boat and (as soon as it was full) in 10 minutes we left. It took us directly to the Vassa museum. Later in the day the boat does a clockwise circuit from the ship. We got off at the Vassa before 10.0 a.m. We bought our entrance tickets (no lines at this time) and off we went into the museum. By the time we left (app.11.30am) there was a large crowd of people waiting in looooong lines to buy tickets. After Vassa (not to be missed) we got the boat (within 10 minutes) to the Royal Palace and Gamla Stan.

If you are going to the Vassa it is very important you leave the ship ASAP and go there first. It worked out perfectly for us. Except for the first run that went (as mentioned) directly from the cruise ship to the Vassa museum, the boats just kept running in a continuous loop throughout the rest of the day. So, later in the day it is very easy (whenever you want) to catch the boat (at the Palace or in Gamla Stan ) to return to the ship. They drop you off right beside the ship back at the same place they pick you up in the morning.

Enjoy your day in beautiful Stockholm!

i will be on the eclipse july 19, 2014. i was told by celebrity that the ship was docking at frihamnen berth 638.

i will be on the eclipse july 19, 2014. i was told by celebrity that the ship was docking at frihamnen berth 638.

In Stockholm the same ship may not always dock at the same port. So it can be different ports depending on which cruise you will arrive on.

But from what I can see on the Ports of Stockholm pages Celebrity Eclipse is booked to dock at Stadsgården on July 24.

There will be two or three HoHo boat services in Sthlm this year.

Strömma and Royal Sightseeing that are both owned and operated by Strömma.

Then there will be another HoHo boat service operated by Utö Rederi and Blidösundsbolaget.

For the third one there is no official info yet to my knowledge.

----------------

I see the Eurodam is scheduled to dock at B-something which is supposedly a buoy in the harbor on May 29, 30.

Does this mean that they will be tendering using the ships boats or is there a system of larger vessels to get us to shore?

You will use your ships tender boats which will drop you off somewhere on Skeppsbrokajen, but I don't exactly where on it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Skeppsbrokajen,+Stockholm,+Sverige&hl=sv&ll=59.324154,18.077295&spn=0.005041,0.016512&sll=59.332644,17.979645&sspn=0.080639,0.264187&geocode=FV0tiQMdae4QASFYiDclcQOWOSlNrxbduXVfRjFYiDclcQOWOQ%3BFf88iQMdPMETASkr-Z9m4ndfRjERixY19P4AJg&oq=Skeppsb&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=14%2F03%2F03&time=1:30pm&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&hnear=Skeppsbrokajen,+Sverige&z=17&start=0

Edited by Desdichado62

Thank you so much for all the info - it is a great help. We intend to disembark ASAP and hopefully we will be lucky & get a boat that will take us direct to the Vasa Museum. At least now I have the knowledge so can plan accordingly.

You guys are really amazing:D

Not sure it this helps, but approx. 5 years ago our ship (along with a number of others) docked in Stockholm. The traffic was so bad our HOHO bus took forever to circle the city so it was early afternoon by the time we got to the Vasa. No lines, no crowds at all! Maybe everyone visits in the morning.