Sapphire Beach St. Thomas

maggie3

(I just noticed that I have incorrectly posted this question in reply to another poster's Magen's Bay question. Sorry.)

Our daughter and son-in-law recommended we check out Sapphire Beach after their very pleasant experience a couple of years ago. Over several months, reviews of the beach and resort describe it as boarded up and third world. Have there been any improvements in recent weeks or months? The ship offers a shore excursion to Sapphire, but if conditions are unhealthy, we are not interested. Is anyone just back?

We were there in December and nothing was boarded up and there was nothing third world about it. the beach is beautiful!

There is a recent thread about the dive shop shutting down after we were there, but it looked like that may change so check out that thread for up to date info.

There are some pictures of Sapphire in my Celebrity Summit review linked in my signature.

I believe Sapphire was closed (the Dive Shop and Restrooms that is) in January which would have been after you were there. I do hope they reopen soon.

Yeah... I mentioned that in my post. I hope they can work out there issues and can reopen.

If you don't need to rent a chair, snorkel gear, or buy food, you should be able to go and have a great time. We've been there several times and never spent a dime there.

You can still actually buy food and drinks. There is a food option on the beach (it is not an full restauarant so it does not offer bathroom facitilites) and another nearby restaurant sends a runner to take orders.

There are also no washroom facilities available now that the dive shop has closed.

A few people have posted on this board that they have gone since the dive shop closed and enjoyed it, it just depends on what you require. For some, no bathroom is a deal breaker, others, not so much.

Edited by 1kaper

Sapphire Beach is beautiful. It is our favorite beach on the island. I hate that the powers that be have closed the Dive Shop, especially for the good folks that ran it. Hopefully they will see that its closing hurts not only cruise passengers stopping by but also those that rent there. But, if you can do without a bathroom, it is a great place with wonderful views, good snorkeling and the Banana Cabana for a quick bite and a drink.

Sapphire Beach is beautiful. It is our favorite beach on the island. I hate that the powers that be have closed the Dive Shop, especially for the good folks that ran it. Hopefully they will see that its closing hurts not only cruise passengers stopping by but also those that rent there. But, if you can do without a bathroom, it is a great place with wonderful views, good snorkeling and the Banana Cabana for a quick bite and a drink.

I have been to Sapphire both as a guest staying at a unit and visiting from a ship. The trash and upheaval from cruise ship guests is appalling! If I am an owner or a renter at Sapphire, I would look forward to a more serene setting at the beach without the cruise ship passengers!

We were at Sapphire Beach a few weeks ago (January 14th) and spent a great few hours here. Yes, the dive shop is closed but the beach is beautiful and it was quiet.

We caught the bus near the K-Mart ($2.00 each) and asked the driver to let us out at Sapphire. The walk down the hill to the beach from the road was fine but it's a pretty steep hill to walk back up ! :(

I'm sure the restrooms were open because my husband used them.. or said he did!! lol

Edited by hancogran

You can't be sure from day to day whether the bathrooms will be open, so best to assume they will be closed. The owner of public spaces seems determined to limit amenities for non guests.

He may, however, have deals with the ships for all inclusive Sapphire deals, so check with your ship if amenities are important.

I visited there last fall and was really disappointed how rundown the resort was. I stayed here a few times in the past and it was in much better condition around 2005-6. The water and beach are as beautiful as ever, just a shame that they let the resort go downhill.