Deck chair strategy

Jaddy

On the shorter (10 days or less) Caribbean cruises there does seem to be a lot of sun worshipers and the loungers near the main pool area do usually go early in the day. But we have never had a problem on the S-Class ships because there are plenty of loungers in other areas and we often prefer to be a deck above the pool. On longer cruises (like the 14 day Eclispse cruise) during school time, there seem to be a lot less sun worshipers and an older crowd that practices sun avoidance. One interesting thing we have discovered (over many years) is when you get a lot of Floridians there never seems to be a deck chair problem. Folks more to FL for the sun and sand and quickly realize they do not want to be in the sun (or on the sand). Floridians are an interesting "breed" (most of my family has lived in FL) in that they tend to avoid the sun and eat dinner at 4pm to save $1 on their early birds :). On Caribbean cruises they often think that even the early seatings are too late :).

Hank

Mostly ridiculous

On my most recent Constellation Cruise, I proceeded to snag a prime lounger at about 730 am (on a sea day). They were already all 'reserved' with 'pool stuff' on them!

There are usually extra chairs to be found. Although if you arrive later in the day, you may have to settle for a more obscure location and/or move chairs around.

One thing that does bother me is that sometimes people have no regard for the jogging/walking track and block it with chairs. Unfortunately, the track on the Connie was shortened and this makes is worse.

The chair availability and track issue should be less of a problem on the Solstice Class Ships.

Love the whole deck chair hog threads. They are fun to read It's a never ending problem and will continue to be a problem until X enforces their 30 minute rule. Just note that problem is not limited to cruise ships; ever been to the pools in Las Vegas?

Me personally, I'm more worried about my barstool at the Mast and Sunset bars. :-)

Cheers.

I am an early riser. I love getting a cup of coffee and watch the chair hogs come out early in the morning and do the chair selection ballet. :D

I have found that in most cases if you don't want close to the pool, you can find deck chairs.

On the first cruise of my B2B, there were usually chairs available at both pools. No real issues at all. On the second cruise, the solarium was packed all day, not with chair hogs, but with people fast asleep! The shaded areas by the main pool was the same way! We got a chuckle out of it, actually!

I don't really need a poolside chair but often just want a place to put my stuff!! I like to sit on the edge of the pool while my 11 year old DDs swim - but end up putting my stuff on a chair to keep it from getting wet. I honestly wish they had little cubbies to just put towel / flip flops and sunglasses in! I think many "chair hogs" may be doing what I sometimes need to do. I like to keep an eye on my stuff but hate using the prime real estate. Is this just me?

Once took towels that had been sitting on 2 lounge chairs for 2 hours and placed them in the bin. Then moved the lounge chairs away from their original position. Was funny to watch the chair 'saver' return another hour later and stand there totally confused trying to figure out who took "his" chairs. :)

I honestly wish they had little cubbies to just put towel / flip flops and sunglasses in! I think many "chair hogs" may be doing what I sometimes need to do. I like to keep an eye on my stuff but hate using the prime real estate. Is this just me?

No, I have suggested the 'cubbies' idea on all comment cards, on all cruises I've been on. As a skier, most centers we go to have cubbies to encourage people not to pile it all up on or under a table.

I think this could be a big help to the problem.

I enjoy reading on the balcony during the day. And having some snacks. And more snacks.

If I really want a chair, I will ask the pool attendant to find one for me and the attendant will pick up some towels and presto!!

I enjoy reading on the balcony during the day. And having some snacks. And more snacks.

If I really want a chair, I will ask the pool attendant to find one for me and the attendant will pick up some towels and presto!!

I did really, really enjoy our balcony (with snacks too of course). I spent way more time there than on the pool deck. My first cruise, and now I'm completely spoiled!