Rome itinerary for a frequent visitor

dritan

Hi all

I'm fortunate enough to have visited Rome and its main sites a number of times with cruises and also a few city breaks. I'm flying to Rome a day early this time and will be alone. That means I can do whatever I like:)

As I should be sorted in my hotel by about midday - this is my suggested itinerary.

Afternoon: 1) either go to Ostia Antica, or

2)go to Museum of the Imperial Forum

Early evening: get a pre booked ticket for Galleria Borghese from 5-7

Morning: go to the Baths of Diocletian and the National Museum near Termini.

or potentially go to the new Vatican scavi tour, if one is available.

My brother will be arriving at the airport around 11am so need to be near Termini and my local hotel so I can go get my bag when he has landed and co-ordinate to be on his train.

So, for those who have been which is better - going to Ostia or the Museum of the Imperial Forum?

Can't wait to hear about the new scavi tour in the Vatican museums but think the national museum is more doable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Would be great to hear about any additional activities in the evening ( it'll be a Tuesday and can't see any obvious late night museum opening).

Thanks

Isn't it great being able to get to some of Rome's other great sites? :)

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

On your first afternoon, if you want to go to the Borghese Gallery, I'd suggest you do the Museum of the Imperial Forii rather than Ostia Antica. You'd need to factor in about 30 minutes to get there and 30 minutes back, plus the site deserves at least a good half day on its own. I think it's a little ambitious as you'd need to be at the Borghese by around 4:30 to pick up your ticket.

The museum is definitely well worth a visit, as there is a good deal to see, both inside the building and outside, where you can walk around part of Trajan's forum and market.

The National Museum near Termini is another favorite of mine. I'll have to let you know about the new Vatican necropolis tour when I return from my trip to Italy in late February/early March. :D

Isn't it great being able to get to some of Rome's other great sites? :)

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

On your first afternoon, if you want to go to the Borghese Gallery, I'd suggest you do the Museum of the Imperial Forii rather than Ostia Antica. You'd need to factor in about 30 minutes to get there and 30 minutes back, plus the site deserves at least a good half day on its own. I think it's a little ambitious as you'd need to be at the Borghese by around 4:30 to pick up your ticket.

The museum is definitely well worth a visit, as there is a good deal to see, both inside the building and outside, where you can walk around part of Trajan's forum and market.

The National Museum near Termini is another favorite of mine. I'll have to let you know about the new Vatican necropolis tour when I return from my trip to Italy in late February/early March. :D

Yes - I was thinking Ostia Antica may be a bit ambitious, so will just have to have another trip then:D

The Imperial Forums have always intrigued me so that along with the ability to walk around Trajan's Market are very tempting. If I do that, I may also be able to fit in a trip to San Clemente as they aren't too far apart.

I'm keeping an eye on the Vatican website, as April's dates are up yet. But if it is indeed at 8.30am start then I may still go for that on the morning of the cruise.

Will love to go though those museums that Mary Beard ( not sure if you get her programmes in the US) tramples through on her shows.:)

Yes - I was thinking Ostia Antica may be a bit ambitious, so will just have to have another trip then:D

The Imperial Forums have always intrigued me so that along with the ability to walk around Trajan's Market are very tempting. If I do that, I may also be able to fit in a trip to San Clemente as they aren't too far apart.

I'm keeping an eye on the Vatican website, as April's dates are up yet. But if it is indeed at 8.30am start then I may still go for that on the morning of the cruise.

Will love to go though those museums that Mary Beard ( not sure if you get her programmes in the US) tramples through on her shows.:)

Have you been to another of Cruisemom's favorites, the Capitoline Museum? If not, it's well worth a visit! Also, I have read that you can do after hours tours of the Vatican Museums if that's of interest to you.

I haven't seen her shows but have read a couple of Mary Beard's books on Pompeii --she's delightfully unstuffy. I'll have to see if any of her shows are available online.

You should be able to add in a visit to San Clemente. Check the hours as they close mid-day for a chunk of time (so probably better to do that second and then perhaps a taxi direct to the Borghese?)

I'll have to let you know about the new Vatican necropolis tour when I return from my trip to Italy in late February/early March. :D

We'll be in Rome for several days in October. Does this "new Vatican necropolis tour" replace the old Scavi tour?

I was just on the Vatican's web site looking at the booking options for the "new" tour. It's too soon for October, but just trying a dummy booking for March, the web site doesn't seem to give options for individual bookings for fewer than 15 people. When I follow the links for "guided tours for individuals" of the Necropolis, I get the following page, where the number of participants must be 15-25. (And if you go forward to ticketing, there is no way to reduce the number.) Sorry for the slight off topic question here, but does anyone have any suggestions for booking two tickets? (I can't see what I may be doing wrong in their web navigation.) Thanks!

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceTipoVisita=2&step=2

We'll be in Rome for several days in October. Does this "new Vatican necropolis tour" replace the old Scavi tour?

I was just on the Vatican's web site looking at the booking options for the "new" tour. It's too soon for October, but just trying a dummy booking for March, the web site doesn't seem to give options for individual bookings for fewer than 15 people. When I follow the links for "guided tours for individuals" of the Necropolis, I get the following page, where the number of participants must be 15-25. (And if you go forward to ticketing, there is no way to reduce the number.) Sorry for the slight off topic question here, but does anyone have any suggestions for booking two tickets? (I can't see what I may be doing wrong in their web navigation.) Thanks!

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceTipoVisita=2&step=2

This is a new area that has opened; it does not replace the Scavi tour. I posted about this new tour a couple of weeks ago. Here's an article on the Vatican site about it:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/Eventi/2013/MV_Info_Evento16.html

To book for an individual (not the guided group tour), you first go to this page:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceLivelloVisita=4&step=1

You select "Guided Tours for Individuals"

then you select "Necropolis of the Via Triumphalis and the Museums"

Currently, this is the only way for individuals to book. You have to also purchase the museum entry ticket. Not a problem for me, as I always enjoy another visit to the museums.

This is a new area that has opened; it does not replace the Scavi tour. I posted about this new tour a couple of weeks ago. Here's an article on the Vatican site about it:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/Eventi/2013/MV_Info_Evento16.html

To book for an individual (not the guided group tour), you first go to this page:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceLivelloVisita=4&step=1

You select "Guided Tours for Individuals"

then you select "Necropolis of the Via Triumphalis and the Museums"

Currently, this is the only way for individuals to book. You have to also purchase the museum entry ticket. Not a problem for me, as I always enjoy another visit to the museums.

Thanks as always for your great guidance. (And happy to know that I'd navigated the web site correctly, that there's no way just for two people to book the Necropolis without the Museums.)

Since this doesn't replace the Scavi tour, I'll certainly be interested in hearing what you think of it after you get back from your upcoming trip. We haven't done the Scavi tour, so I'll be particularly interested in your comparison of the two and thoughts for newbies to the Vatican underground. :) (Of course, if you have any comparative thoughts now based on your having done the Scavi tour and read about the new one, I'd appreciate any thoughts as to which you think someone should pick.)

Thanks, and have a great trip!

Edited by Turtles06

Thanks as always for your great guidance. (And happy to know that I'd navigated the web site correctly, that there's no way just for two people to book the Necropolis without the Museums.)

Since this doesn't replace the Scavi tour, I'll certainly be interested in hearing what you think of it after you get back from your upcoming trip. We haven't done the Scavi tour, so I'll be particularly interested in your comparison of the two and thoughts for newbies to the Vatican underground. :) (Of course, if you have any comparative thoughts now based on your having done the Scavi tour and read about the new one, I'd appreciate any thoughts as to which you think someone should pick.)

Thanks, and have a great trip!

I'll definite post about the new tour when I get back, as there's little info available on it yet. It's hard to tell from the "flowery" language used by the Vatican exactly how it will compare with the Scavi under St. Peters, so I'd best reserve judgement until I've done the new one.

I'll definite post about the new tour when I get back, as there's little info available on it yet. It's hard to tell from the "flowery" language used by the Vatican exactly how it will compare with the Scavi under St. Peters, so I'd best reserve judgement until I've done the new one.

Thanks! BTW, do you think it's too soon now to try to reserve a Scavi tour for late October? I've read so many different things here on CC about "the best" time to send them an email Thanks again!

Thanks! BTW, do you think it's too soon now to try to reserve a Scavi tour for late October? I've read so many different things here on CC about "the best" time to send them an email Thanks again!

Like you, I read many conflicting things about reservations. If it were me, I'd probably consider reserving about 6 months in advance, not longer, and be aware that you may not hear anything until about 3 months ahead.

I was lucky enough to get a slot rather last minute when I did it -- probably because it was "way off" season and I only needed one place.

I always have read that giving them a couple of options on timing is also a good strategy.

Have you been to another of Cruisemom's favorites, the Capitoline Museum? If not, it's well worth a visit! Also, I have read that you can do after hours tours of the Vatican Museums if that's of interest to you.

Thanks - yes I've visited the Capitoline Museum and loved it - especially the Dying Gaul.

I'll definitely look into the after hours tours but will depend on the days as I've only really got a Tuesday evening.

I haven't seen her shows but have read a couple of Mary Beard's books on Pompeii --she's delightfully unstuffy. I'll have to see if any of her shows are available online.

You should be able to add in a visit to San Clemente. Check the hours as they close mid-day for a chunk of time (so probably better to do that second and then perhaps a taxi direct to the Borghese?)

Definitely sounds like a plan. Particularly as it appears that the only Vatican and Via Trriumphalis tour in English is on April 5th when I'll be trampling around Ancient Olympia:) Will be keen to read your review and others, so I can line it up for my next visit.

The best Mary Beard documentaries are Meet the Romans and Pompeii - Life in a Roman Town. She also did a documentary on Caligula last year. She's a bit of a celebrity here in the UK, after an idiotic TV critic said that she was difficult to watch as she had a face for radio. She posted a sardonic riposte and the general public have loved her ever since.lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2134146/Too-ugly-TV-No-Im-brainy-men-fear-clever-women.html

Edited by dritan

Thanks - yes I've visited the Capitoline Museum and loved it - especially the Dying Gaul.

Just an fyi ... for many Americans, the Dying Gaul is a bit closer to home now than Rome, as it's on display for another month in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/museums/dying-gaul-on-view-at-national-gallery-of-art/2013/12/12/90ea4760-6358-11e3-91b3-f2bb96304e34_story.html

Have you been to Domus Romane yet? That is a worthwhile venture.

I have to say, of all the ancient sites in Rome I have visited, this one probably appealed to me the least.

If you like your ancient sites with a lot of special effects (lasers, dramatic lighting, etc.), then perhaps you'd like it more. But in terms of substance, there wasn't a lot of "there" there, if anyone remembers that old saying. ;)

I found it awkward to constantly have someone telling me to "Stand here. No, here." "Move now. Four steps -- no, that's too far." etc. just to see the tableaux. The kids on my tour weren't impressed either, they lost interest early on -- so clearly it isn't just me having more of a purist point of view.

(The best part of the tour was the close-up view of Trajan's column from ground level.)

Once you've done everything else that appeals to you in Rome it is worth a go, I suppose. But in terms of evoking an idea of what it was like in ancient Rome, there are much better sites -- the area under San Clemente and the Roman houses under SS. Giovanni e Paolo, for example.

Just an fyi ... for many Americans, the Dying Gaul is a bit closer to home now than Rome, as it's on display for another month in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/museums/dying-gaul-on-view-at-national-gallery-of-art/2013/12/12/90ea4760-6358-11e3-91b3-f2bb96304e34_story.html

Now you're in my wheelhouse. :)

The Dying Gaul is wondefully impressive. But did you know there is another statue that is likely part of the same grouping that's on display in the (little visited) Altemps Museum just off Piazza Navona? This one is known as the "Ludovici Gaul" and depicts a Gallic soldier killing himself with his own sword as his wife (presumably killed by him as well) expires beside him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludovisi_Gaul

Both of these are marble copies of original Greek/Hellenistic bronzes.

I wish there was some way that the two statues could be displayed together.

Admission to the Diocletian baths ,Palazzo Massimo (the National museum near Termini) and Palazzo Altemps were all included on one ticket when we visited last time.

If you liked the dying Galatian then you should look for the bronze boxer of Qurinial in Palazzo Massimo. Also on the top floor are frescoes which have been placed in recreated rooms and are as beautiful as any from Pompeii,(imho).The basement level has a huge vault and contains golden roman jewelry and a huge coin collection dating from the first Roman coins to the present day Euro. There is also a Roman mummy of a young girl in another room.

We loved Mary Beards "Meet the Romans" and have tried to find a good latin translator ever since watching her. The tunnel at the Capitolne from one building to the other has a great collection of Roman epitaphs with English transripts for those those who don't speak latin.

Admission to the Diocletian baths ,Palazzo Massimo (the National museum near Termini) and Palazzo Altemps were all included on one ticket when we visited last time.

If you liked the dying Galatian then you should look for the bronze boxer of Qurinial in Palazzo Massimo. Also on the top floor are frescoes which have been placed in recreated rooms and are as beautiful as any from Pompeii,(imho).The basement level has a huge vault and contains golden roman jewelry and a huge coin collection dating from the first Roman coins to the present day Euro. There is also a Roman mummy of a young girl in another room.

We loved Mary Beards "Meet the Romans" and have tried to find a good latin translator ever since watching her. The tunnel at the Capitolne from one building to the other has a great collection of Roman epitaphs with English transripts for those those who don't speak latin.

Sounds fantastic and the Palazzo Massimo is my definite for the morning of the cruise.

Just too much to see in the Rome :p

Now you're in my wheelhouse. :)

The Dying Gaul is wondefully impressive. But did you know there is another statue that is likely part of the same grouping that's on display in the (little visited) Altemps Museum just off Piazza Navona? This one is known as the "Ludovici Gaul" and depicts a Gallic soldier killing himself with his own sword as his wife (presumably killed by him as well) expires beside him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludovisi_Gaul

Both of these are marble copies of original Greek/Hellenistic bronzes.

I wish there was some way that the two statues could be displayed together.

Really wished I had flown out another day earlier, as I just won't have time to go to the Altemps, particularly as it'll be included in my overall ticket, argh.

Have a fantastic time in Italy and look forward to your updates.