Avalon vs Ama~help I'm also a newbie

Wapak

I am looking at these two companies, Ama~ considering "Enchanting Rhine", or Vineyards of the Rhine, and Avalon~"The Rhine and Moselle" or "Romantic Rhine".

Comments on either line, plus and minus would be appreciated.

Also, which time is better? End of June, first of July or Oct.? We are considering both months. Do you recommend any side trips or stayvers?:confused:

Thanks

We've done 3 river cruises on AMA, with another coming up in June - so obviously we're pleased and sticking with AMA. From what I've read on these boards, AMA and Avalon are relatively equivalent. For a good AMA review, go to thepreismans.com and scroll down to the "Rivers & Castles" review - very detailed and comprehensive.

and prefer AMA,just think ships are nicer,food better,nicer staff,etc.Saw Burt Wolf of Travel Channel on one and figured ,good enough for HIM,right?/

Have been on 10 cruises,with different companies,so TRY ONE.If not the right fit, TRY another.

Many on this board have their favorites, got to find whats best for YOU.We re all different.I like the full balcony,nice hotel style beds,great hotels,etc.

Remember,you GET what you pay for.Look at ALL the included things,get brochures, have a TA help.;)

AMA's Enchanting Rhine is a great introduction to river cruising. Starting at Amsterdam, beautiful Rhine Castles during a daytime scenic sailing, end in Basel. Almost all the passengers on our cruise took the 4-day add-on to Lucerne and Zurich. We had a great time and immediately booked another AMA cruise.

When we were planning for our group cruise, Avalon, AMA and Uniworld were in the final running. I don't recall exactly what the tipping point to AMA was, but I do know i really liked the fact that they offered touring options, including an active walkers group, late risers and bike tours. The reviews of AMA were great, but the reviews of the newer ships were exceptional. Since we had chosen an itinerary (the Danube) that featured some newer ships, we were sold.

By doing research, such as you are now doing, you will find a line that "feels right" for you. We believe that the cruiseline/ship is only one factor in the "great vacation" determination. You can't control some of the other factors like weather and shipmates, but you can travel with the attitude that it's going to be a wonderful trip and be prepared to go with the flow. Have fun planning!

We did our first river cruise last year and after extensive research decided on Avalon due to data received off CC and various other people that had completed numerous river cruises. I belief both your choices are at the upper range of good operators. The daily tours and time of arrival and departing in each port lead us towards Avalon ( this info is very hard to get in advance but we had full details from someone who had just completed a cruise) We did Basel to Amsterdam and could not fault Avalon in any way. It was soooo good we have booked another one for 2014 and already looking at booking another one with Avalon for 2015. I was warned that you can get hooked on River Cruising, yes we are.