tortola from 7am to 1pm

heresjohnnytonight

There is a small bar/shop on the beach at the Baths after you walk fown the path and they have lockers. However once you walk through the boulders and get to Devils Bay Beach you won't have time to go back to retrieve your stuff, you'll return to the Top of the Baths via another path from the beach. So packing a towel, water, sunscreen, and camera in a knapsack is the ideal solution. There's no snorkeling involved unless you swim out for that.

WE would ferry to VG on our own, you can often get more time there because you're not waiting for the queue at the ship. Very easy and there are taxi drivers waiting to take you on the 10 min ride to the Top of the Baths. Just check the ferry schedules on the Smith's and Speedy's sites to see if the ferry times work for you.

Blue Water, thank you so much for all your info about Tortola. I think the problem with NCL's excursion to the Baths as described by that one reviewer is that you start off on a snorkel boat and have to swim to shore, so unless you are toting a dry bag on your swim/snorkel, you have nothing with you for the next couple of hours as you explore. I agree with you that starting on land, one could easily have a knapsack. So that excursion is probably out.

Given that we are in port for such a short time, I"m not sure I'm comfortable going off to VG on our own. I think exploring Tortola is probably the way to go, and we will certainly consider getting a cab at the pier.

But what do you (or anyone) think about the excursion described this way by NCL:

Tortola By Land & Sea

Your launch awaits at the nearby marina to take you on an exciting cruise among the beautiful islands of this unique archipelago. Listen to the narration by your tour guide and view the southern shoreline of Tortola and the surrounding islands of Salt, Peter and Norman, made famous in legend as hideaways for pirates and buccaneers. Your journey takes you past uninhabited islands and the island of St. John preserved for posterity by Laurence Rockefeller as a nature reserve, before stopping in a secluded cove where a drink is served on board the boat.

On arrival at Sopher's Hole, the first landing place by European settlers in these islands, you'll have the chance to enjoy a stroll through the interesting boutiques and souvenirs shops before boarding open sided safari tour buses. The tour continues along the north shore of Tortola driving through small fishing villages before ascending to the ridge road, which twists its way along the ridge of the island offering spectacular views Tortola and of the surrounding islands. Photo stops will be made before descending to Road Town and through the town to the ship.

Thanks again, I appreciate all your help.

Blue_Water thank you as well for all that great info!!!!! I really do appreciate it, with having 5 ports to organize what we are going to do it really helps to get such in depth info like this!! Many many thanks!!! :D

Sure! I've read many reports from folks who didn't enjoy Tortola simply because they didn't take a few minutes to do research like you folks are and expected to find something right off the ship and were disappointed. Tortola is a gorgeous island and my favorite vacation spot and there are good options even with a short time in port.

Have a great cruise turtles06, tpadul! :)

• 1 month later...

We will be in Tortola from 7 a.m. - 1 p.m. as well during the cruise in April. I have read this thread, but I am not sure if we will want to go to the beach. I read that there is a Botanical garden not far. Is it worth a visit? Is it really not far fromt he cruise ship? Can we walk there and back and have enough time to visit in the time that we have there?

Thanks in advance.

I see several people have mentioned Brewers Bay as being quieter. I believe it's near Cane Garden Bay? Are there amenities there, like chair rentals, restrooms, and someplace to buy drinks?

And are taxis available for the return trip?

I see several people have mentioned Brewers Bay as being quieter. I believe it's near Cane Garden Bay? Are there amenities there, like chair rentals, restrooms, and someplace to buy drinks?

And are taxis available for the return trip?

CGB is the busiest beach, Brewers not as much, and Smuggler's less busy than Brewers. But on a short day CGB or Brewers would be the best options snd taxis will be there for the return. Great burger at Nicole's

More beach descriptions -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877491

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We just booked the Gem for february 2015 and I just booked the Baths excursion.

It says...you take a cruise over then a bus to the path to walk down to the beach.

There is nothing about having to swim in to shore.

It says...you take a cruise over then a bus to the path to walk down to the beach.

No you are ferrying to Virgin Gorda, taking a short taxi to the Top of the Baths, and walking down the natural path to the beach and the Baths.

Folks who take some boats have to swim in which can be very rough.

• 2 weeks later...

We too are there in April from 7am to 1pm. My husband really wants to visit pussers road town, just for 1 pain killer so we're trying to work out how yo get in a small tour/beach trip then pop to the pub.

Looking forward to hearing back from those going in February to see how things worked out for you

• 1 month later...

We are sailing Jan 2016 on the Gem and are looking at this same excursion. How did you like it?

• 4 weeks later...

We often hit Pusser's Road Town to shop for clothing. Very easy to grab a taxi to a nice beach, the choice depends on the experience you want. Taxi with more than 2 ppl for cheap fare.

We hit Pusser's after for a bite.

For beach descriptions see the Gorgeous Beaches of the BVI thread.

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...

For those on the 7am to 1pm sailings, we did this on Sunday

The pier opens 29th April but as we tendered the last tender was 12.15 so we didn't get long.

The ship had multiple trips available and they were fully booked too and one of them was an hour late returning. So book early if you want one.

The small stalls opposite pussers were open by 8.45

We got pussers road town to open the bar at 9.15am so that we could shop and have a drink and started a bit of a trend and the bar got packed out.

Yes good advice, with such a short time in port it is hard to plan an active day and you'll want to book very early if considering a ship excursion as they will sell out. You also have to get off the ship early so as not to waste the short time you have there.

Many people will just walk the port area and miss the beauty of the island too. Save shopping in the port area for before you re-board, Sunny Caribee has great spices and rubs and a neat gift called the Hangover Kit or something. They have a website as well.

A good choice for this itinerary is a very reasonably-priced island tour with a beach stop for lunch. You'll get outstanding photo ops from the hilltops and see some of the history and wonderful people of the island, not to mention the gorgeous beaches. A much less touristy experience than those staying in port or going to Cane Garden Bay will have, and you can share your experience at dinner that evening. :)