NCL intinerary change - Banana Coast (trujillo), Honduras

BLACFLY

I think it's exciting to go to a "new" undiscovered port. We were in Roatan years ago when it was new and wow- we loved it! The locals were really excited to receive new business, it was awesome when places are not commercialized yet...

For those looking for more info about excursions in Trujillo / Banana Coast, I'll quote messages that I posted in my roll call:

Well, my wife and I started looking at excursions, and ...

[...]

Trujillo, of course, is the tough one. As it will be such a brand new port, so far there's only one tour company, and they only book exclusively through the cruise lines. So we'll have to pay the up-charge for NCL's cut no matter what. This is particularly concerning as the Campo del Mar Beach Break is $59/ pp, and the Campo del Mar Nature Park and Beach Break is $99/pp. The additional charge might make sense, but the nature park features free admission apart from the cruise line. It seems rather silly to pay an extra $160 for four admissions to a FREE park. All of that goes directly to NCL, I guess.

Just a followup [...] for those of you with minor children:

I contacted Banana Coast Tours and asked about the age limits.

In particular:

• The Campo del Mar beach break requires that DS9, who is an excellent swimmer, LOVES trampolines, and has bounced on several water trampolines in the Caribbean, must be 10 years old to bounce on the one at CDM.
  • The Starfish Snorkel and Beach Break has a minimum age of 8. The water depth is advertised as only 4-6 feet. DD4, who would LOVE to see the starfish, apparently would not be allowed to snorkel, even with an appropriate-size snorkeling vest and just a mask. It seems obvious to allow younger children to participate and provide age-appropriate safety equipment, like other snorkel tour operators do at other ports around the Caribbean.

Banana Coast Tours did verify with me that DS9 would be fine on the trampoline, and DD4 would be allowed on the snorkel expedition. However, I have yet to ask specifically what would be provided for the snorkeling.

Amusingly, despite NCL's published age limit for the starfish excursion, on the website they've used a stock photo of a child holding up a starfish, and she's almost certainly under 8.

Clarification provided: "The equipment which will be provided for the Starfish Snorkel are life vests, snorkels, mask and fins. We will have the same type of equipment for young children such as your 4 year old. But you can bring your own snorkel equipment if you so desire."

At some point, I'll probably contact NCL (or have our TA do so) if booking the excursion is a problem. Also, I'll be sure to print the emails from Banana Coast Tours in case we have any trouble.

I have been considering booking the Jewel out of Houston in November as well but was concerned about this new port. I was really hoping to go to Roatan. It seems that the Banana Coast port was developed (aka man made). Sure, there is a town (Trujillo) nearby but my understanding is that everything around the port is owned and managed by one company. At least that it what it seems like from reading the press releases. I don't have any experience with man made ports or private islands, but it seems to me that you wouldn't get to experience much of the local culture there. My guess is NCL and other cruise lines are moving here because there is a much higher profit margin off excursions that they can control.

Has anyone ever been on the Emerald Princess? I see it is sailing out of Houston also but the videos I have seen on YouTube make the cabins seem very dated. I think I'd rather risk it with a new man made port than go on a ship that I find unattractive.

Here is a link to a website that has a lot of info about Trujillo.

I would be willing to bet that some of the locals will be offering tours by October when the big ships start calling there. It appears right now like one company has the monopoly on tours. I don't think that will last.

http://www.trujillohonduras.com/tourism.htm

I have been considering booking the Jewel out of Houston in November as well but was concerned about this new port. I was really hoping to go to Roatan. It seems that the Banana Coast port was developed (aka man made). Sure, there is a town (Trujillo) nearby but my understanding is that everything around the port is owned and managed by one company. At least that it what it seems like from reading the press releases. I don't have any experience with man made ports or private islands, but it seems to me that you wouldn't get to experience much of the local culture there. My guess is NCL and other cruise lines are moving here because there is a much higher profit margin off excursions that they can control.

Has anyone ever been on the Emerald Princess? I see it is sailing out of Houston also but the videos I have seen on YouTube make the cabins seem very dated. I think I'd rather risk it with a new man made port than go on a ship that I find unattractive.

Trujillo has a natural port. The cruise terminal is man-made.

The Bay of Trujillo is a deep water natural harbor and was the first mainland landing spot of Christopher Columbus in 1502 during his fourth and final voyage to the New World

Edited by swedish weave

Here is a link to a website that has a lot of info about Trujillo.

I would be willing to bet that some of the locals will be offering tours by October when the big ships start calling there. It appears right now like one company has the monopoly on tours. I don't think that will last.

http://www.trujillohonduras.com/tourism.htm

I don't think they will start until much later. For this first season, there is an average of one ship per week (sometimes two, sometimes none). Either the Jewel (2,376 passengers) or the Ryndam (1,258). Not enough to support independent tours just yet.

As another indicator, I had contacted Banana Coast Tours last month, and asked:

Is there any way to book an excursion directly, independent of the cruise line? NCL charges $59/adult and $49/child for the beach break alone, which may be worth it for the amenities. However, they charge an extra $40/person to add in the nature park - a park at which admission is free. While I'm not opposed to a modest increase for accessing the nature park, $40 per person seems excessive, especially when it seems that NCL is keeping it all (as there is no entry fee to the nature park independent of NCL). I would prefer to see more of our vacation funds go directly to support the hard-working Honduran people at the nature preserve itself, in addition to caring for the wildlife. Is there any way to ensure that that is possible such as by booking the tour directly?

Their answer: "Banana Coast Tours will be offering our Shore Excursions directly through Norwegian. All of our space has already been reserved by the cruise lines on cruise arrival days."

Furthermore, as this is such a brand new port, I don't think many cruisers would book an independent tour even if one were available, given the newness of the port. Once the port gains a bit more popularity, and tour companies in the vein of Bodden and Butts-Up, etc., establish themselves (and I am happy letting more adventurous cruisers be their first customers), that's when more options will be viable.

I don't think they will start until much later. For this first season, there is an average of one ship per week (sometimes two, sometimes none). Either the Jewel (2,376 passengers) or the Ryndam (1,258). Not enough to support independent tours just yet.

As another indicator, I had contacted Banana Coast Tours last month, and asked:

Their answer: "Banana Coast Tours will be offering our Shore Excursions directly through Norwegian. All of our space has already been reserved by the cruise lines on cruise arrival days."

Furthermore, as this is such a brand new port, I don't think many cruisers would book an independent tour even if one were available, given the newness of the port. Once the port gains a bit more popularity, and tour companies in the vein of Bodden and Butts-Up, etc., establish themselves (and I am happy letting more adventurous cruisers be their first customers), that's when more options will be viable.

I believe the local cab drivers and residents will take advantage of the opportunity to earn a few bucks as soon as they can when the ships arrive. Granted, some cruisers will be afraid to book local tours, but many are as adventurous as I am and will seek other ways to enjoy this port.

Banana Coast Tours and NCL will tell you that it is dangerous to book with others, but all cruise lines do this at every port to try to protect their revenue source.

Edited by swedish weave

We booked the Jewel for Jan 10, 2015 specifically because it was going to Trujillo. We are sick of Roatan. If they swapped out Belize for Costa Maya I would be really happy. About 15 years ago we cruised out of Houston to Puerto Cortes, Honduras. There were all sorts of warnings even back then about Honduras, but we went anyway. It was wonderful. We toured a mahagony carving school, a banana plantation, had lunch at a lovely country club in San Pedro Sula, toured the museum there and visited the local market. We have booked a beach day for Trujillo through NCL.

I contacted a tour guide in Trujillo by Email and he replied today. He said several tour companies in the area are planning to set up business at Banana Coast and will have tours available before the ships begin arriving.

I hope that is good news for those of you who like to deal with the local vendors.

• 2 months later...

FYI, I asked my TA to contact NCL with a number of questions, one of which had to do with Trujillo - namely, will we be docked or tendered? The answer: the port will be tendered.

I had read somewhere that there are plans for a finger pier, but apparently that won't be ready this fall. As Trujillo Bay is naturally deep, it should be less like Belize and more like Grand Cayman (i.e., a relatively short ride).

Edited by The Mister

So, since the Jewel is mentioned several times in this thread, does that mean it's just the Jewel that is going here for now?

We will be on the Sun in November and have not received any emails or notifications that we will be going here instead of Roatan and was just wondering before I book any excursion in Roatan. :)

With two and a half months to go, Trujillo is a major topic of discussion on our roll call right now. Nobody seems to know what to book as we can't get any info on excursions, and internet searches on Trujillo don't bring up much more than what's been posted here already. Since we're on the second sailing that's on that itinerary we don't even have the luxury of reading any reviews from the sailing before us.

Since we know nothing about the beaches and any amenities there (restrooms, food, drink) some of us are thinking of just doing the tram tour of the town and using that to scope out any decent looking bars or restaurants. I like the pictures I've seen of the town so far. Seems very laid back with great natural scenery.

When we get back I'll be sure and do a review of Trujillo in this thread for those going after us.

Edited by Rudyard

With two and a half months to go, Trujillo is a major topic of discussion on our roll call right now. Nobody seems to know what to book as we can't get any info on excursions, and internet searches on Trujillo don't bring up much more than what's been posted here already. Since we're on the second sailing that's on that itinerary we don't even have the luxury of reading any reviews from the sailing before us.

Since we know nothing about the beaches and any amenities there (restrooms, food, drink) some of us are thinking of just doing the tram tour of the town and using that to scope out any decent looking bars or restaurants. I like the pictures I've seen of the town so far. Seems very laid back with great natural scenery.

When we get back I'll be sure and do a review of Trujillo in this thread for those going after us.

I would suggest looking at other Jewel roll calls. Ours (Nov 15) has some discussions and a few decisions as well (not all NCL-sanctioned either). Not necessarily your cuppa, but at least it's something additional.

Edited by The Mister

I would suggest looking at other Jewel roll calls. Ours (Nov 15) has some discussions and a few decisions as well (not all NCL-sanctioned either). Not necessarily your cuppa, but at least it's something additional.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. Anything might be helpful at this point.

Other than the NCL excursions, there are a few hotel resorts nearby. The one most like what you might find at other ports is probably the Christopher Columbus hotel. But there are other options. I'm headed to Tranquility Bay, for example.

We are on the Jewel Dec 20, 2014 and myNCL still shows Roatan. Are only certain dates making the move?

Could be. I just looked at a cruise timetable website for December and for the five Jewel sailings in that month it shows three stopping in Trujillo and two, including yours, still going to Roatan.