Car Rental versus Executive VIP Limo

Embracedbylife

We have a 11:15am flight from Orlando Airport. So we are trying to decide between:

1) Picking up a car rental at the port from National Car Rental and driving to the airport ( concerned about timing it takes to get the shuttle to the rental car, getting the rental and then drop off time at the airport. We plan to be in the car driving no later than 8am for our 11:15am flight).

2) Booking a limo with Executive VIP Limo for an 8am pick up (more expensive for 4 passengers, but hoping we won't have to wait around and it would be a faster execution).

What do you all suggest in terms of the time it would take to get the rental and drop it off versus the unlikely event of our limo not showing up (I've had past issues with limos that were a no show). Any other companies you suggest? Not looking to take a bus as we don't want to wait for everyone to get on and not have an exact departure time within our control.

You do realize the Orlando airport is about an hour away from the Port?

Leaving Canaveral at 8:00 for an 11:15 flight is cutting it way too close for my comfort level! You are traveling Presidents Week and the airport could likely be slammed at the security points.

Just wanted to give you a "heads up".....

Edited by GTO-Girl

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize how busy the security would be as I haven't flown to or from MCO before. I was hoping an hour for airport security would be safe, but maybe that isn't enough time? We don't check any bags, so just go straight to security when we arrive. I figured we'd arrive at the airport by 9:30 and that would give me an hour to get through by 10:30 to our gate. Hummmm...has anyone had insane traffic from the port to the airport? Could it take 2 hours to get to the airport?

Edited by Embracedbylife

We are booking a car rental from the airport to our hotel and then dropping it off at the pier before the cruise, but now I'm seriously considering keeping the car rental for the extra days instead of dropping it off the day of the cruise (3 night cruise) and just parking at the lot and driving it back ourselves to the airport when we disembark so we don't have any issues with waiting for late limos or to re-rent a car or anything like that.

Does anyone know how far the parking lot is from the ship? We are at Pier 10 I believe (Royal Caribbean). I hear parking is only $10/day....might be worth it. Then we can just get up and go whenever we are ready (maybe before 8am!!) Thoughts??? I think it'll be an extra $100 in the difference but might be worth it in stress reduction...

Edited by Embracedbylife

You do realize the Orlando airport is about an hour away from the Port?

Leaving Canaveral at 8:00 for an 11:15 flight is cutting it way too close for my comfort level! You are traveling Presidents Week and the airport could likely be slammed at the security points.

Just wanted to give you a "heads up".....

Yikes! Yes, traffic will be bad and security will be a nightmare.

Can anyone help me out with time frames? Traffic - 1.5 hrs, 2hrs, 3 hrs from pier to MCO? I hear it is about 50 minutes without any traffic.

Anyone have prior experience with security lines? 1 hr or longer? maybe i'll repost this as a new topic also....

If it's going to be that bad then maybe car service is the best idea. I'm getting really frustrated now...

Well after much deliberation we booked a transfer with Orlando Luxury Transportation. They told me that even with traffic they anticipate we'll arrive by 9am, 9:20 at the latest and that gives us over an hour for security. So far this the plan! No checked luggage so that saves us another 40 mins or so.

Does anyone know if there is a first class line for security at MCO? I'm assuming there isn't as I read there hasn't been one in the past. Any insight is helpful though from regular MCO travelers! thanks again for all your input!