More Cozumel Updates (Questions about hurricane effects)

nanaj2

Sally and Jim,

It is good to hear from you. We had heard from Tom and Solita enough to know they had made it through alright. Solita let us know that you, Sally, were alright but it is always good to have that confirmed by hearing directly from you. Jim, I was worried about you too. Thank you both so much for taking time out of your very, very busy schedule to write. I know you have so many other things on your minds and on your plates right now and to know that you are taking your time to write to us means a lot to me. I have spent many hours thinking of you both and wondering about you. You will still be in my thoughts and prayers as you work to recover from Emily and to get back to a normal routine. Best wishes and blessings to you.

I'm so glad to hear that everybody's doing okay. I start to feel like I know you guys personally from reading you here and chatting wtih you here on the board; thanks for putting up with all of us travelers, feeding us the information we need, and taking the time to check back in during what must obviously be a difficult time.

Hope meet at least a few of you, hopefully more than that, in November when we're in Cozumel.

Hi everyone! On behalf of the staff of Nachi Cocom thanks for your kind words of support. I spoke again with Salvador this morning and repairs and clean-up continue. They are hoping to have electricity restored within the next 3-4 days. They will be changing the water in the pool as soon as the pumps are up, and the Jacuzzi as well. The kitchen is fine, as is the Bar and Palapa Restaurant, which is amazing considering. Salvador is still hopeful that they can re-open by Monday of next week. That may be somewhat optomistic, but it is that type of determination and effort that is being put forth to get Cozumel back in business island wide. Considering that a Cat. 4 crossed the island, Cozumel is recovering at an incredible pace. Neighbors and friends are working hand in hand to help each other. "My kingdom for a bag of ice" is the come plea. Having spoken to many friends on island there is a great sense of solidarity, and everyone is working together on the clean-up. The Governor has sent tremendous support and work is being completed in a quick and orderly manner. Lets continue to pray for a quick recovery for all of our friends.

Andrew

Sally and PB Tom -

Wonderful to hear that you are safe! My thoughts and prayers were with you and all of the Cozumel residents and guests during the storm. So, very very glad that everyone stayed safe and made it through fine.

Harrie & I look forward to visiting wonderful Cozumel very soon. We will be there in November, if not sooner, and plan on looking both of you up to say hello.

Take care -

Harrie & Liz

Tom, Mrs. Tom and little baby-to-be are all fine.

I thought Mrs. Tom already had the baby. Am I wrong or is she expecting for a second time?

So glad to hear everyone is doing well and the damage wasn't too bad. We will be there in September and are looking forward to spending the day at PB again.

Well we have power and phone at the beachfront office (comes and goes at times) The prediction is to have electricity to most of the town within 3-5 days. There has been great progress - I left my house at 8pm last night and went to town and then drove back about 9:30pm and there were lots more lights on in just that 1 1/2 hours I was gone.

Cozumel residents have been in full force cleaning up debris so most of the roads in town are passable. Once we have electricity everywhere- we will be better able to pump water up and the city is working to get everything set so they can start running water to everyone.

Some of the South hotels have experienced damage- but it's best for anyone coming in the next week to check with their travel agent for up to date reports. I know a lot of the hotels in town are with power and running as usual.

The report from the dolphin folks is that the dolphins are back in the park and hopes are activites will resume by this weekend- will have to wait and see. Dive boats are going in full force.

So come on down and enjoy Cozumel- like many said - some who haven't been here may not even notice there was a hurricane that passed through here. It's not the first nor will it be the last and we have always recovered.

Hey Jacq, that's great news! I was just on the phone with Chellie and she said it's pretty impressive how quickly things are getting back to normal. It's a shame that there was any damage at all, but thankfully it was far enough south of town that private property damage was minimal. We were thinking of and praying for you all. Only wish we could get down there and dig in and help. Please give Sherri our best.

I am so glad that damage was minimal! In two weeks we will be in Cozumel for our very first time and we are really looking forward to it!:D We were praying for the entire area! Good to hear some good news!

Jacq, could you give us an idea of what beaches may be open next week? Will taxis be available?

Thank you!

Well we have power and phone at the beachfront office (comes and goes at times) The prediction is to have electricity to most of the town within 3-5 days. There has been great progress - I left my house at 8pm last night and went to town and then drove back about 9:30pm and there were lots more lights on in just that 1 1/2 hours I was gone.

Cozumel residents have been in full force cleaning up debris so most of the roads in town are passable. Once we have electricity everywhere- we will be better able to pump water up and the city is working to get everything set so they can start running water to everyone.

Some of the South hotels have experienced damage- but it's best for anyone coming in the next week to check with their travel agent for up to date reports. I know a lot of the hotels in town are with power and running as usual.

The report from the dolphin folks is that the dolphins are back in the park and hopes are activites will resume by this weekend- will have to wait and see. Dive boats are going in full force.

So come on down and enjoy Cozumel- like many said - some who haven't been here may not even notice there was a hurricane that passed through here. It's not the first nor will it be the last and we have always recovered.

I am so glad to hear you, Tom and Sally are all ok!:) I am equally happy to hear that my ship will have no reason not to stop there in November!

Good luck with all the clean up and getting back to "normal".

The island keeps looking more and more like "normal" every day. It is truely incredible! A huge group effort in cleaning. EVERYONE...come on down!

Solita, we are thankful to hear you and your friends / families are safe. My husband and I have been coming to Cozumel since 1992 and consider it our "second home". I greatly appreciate the updates you all have been posting. How did Prima's, Pepe's, Guido's and the clock tower fare? I read where Mezcalito's was gone and that is saddening as we enjoyed many an afternoon in the hammocks as well as the COLD beer over there.

You all will continue to be in our prayers. Again, thank you for the news.

Pharmacy Rx ( Hannah )

Prima, Pepe's, Guido's and clock tower seem to be fine. The three you mentioned have been struggling with electricity going on then off. So they really all need your busines when you come. Mezcalito's did take a huge hit but they rebuild so quickly. You will have the good memories of the old place and now can look forward to making great memories at the NEW place. Hope it will be up soon.

Solita - Glad to see your updates, and that Cozumel is bouncing back already!! News on the tv has been all on Cancun and it was frustrating not to hear how Coz had come thru .....

I am betting that all the news was about Cancun and the mainland because no one could come here until yesterday-at least on the ferry. Ferries were up and running. Nice sight! Flights came the day after the storm.

Hi Solita!

I have been thinking of all of you. I met you last September while you were working on PI. Remember? Our names are very similar. My husband an I met Tom while at PB this May. He is super nice!!! We loved PB and are planning on returning when we go on our Disney Cruise in December.(a secret from the kids) This time we will be bringing our children, my sister's family, my brother's family and my mother-in-law. Is there much damage to PB? I do hope you get your electricity back soon and everyone there is okay. I have noticed that all the coverage on tv is on Cancun also.

Sure I remember you! PI suffered about the same type of damage as PB...palapa collapsing. PI is trying to get up and running by next week. PB was packed with guests today! And the best news is (at least in my mind at the moment) is that I have electricity! Taking a shower and flushing the toilet has never seemed better!!

Well...thanks for the report.....Come by PB on Sept 2 late morning if you can.....would like to meet you and tell Sally as well.

The cleanup effort is going so well...hope you can't tell the difference by then. And I will put you on my calendar and try to swing out there to meet you this time. Was actually there the last time but the social host aka Tommy didn't introduce us or tell me you were there.

Solita, glad to hear you so upbeat. When you get a chance, my friend is coming for her honeymoon in August at the Allegro. Do you know of any damage?

Good luck with everything!

All of those hotels (Oxy, Ibero...) got vegetation damage but seemed to have little structual except Iberostar. Tell her not to worry...August is a long time when you are talking about cleanup time here in Cozumel!

Looks like Playa Mia is gone. I am wondering about Paradise Beach? Has anyone heard from Tom?

Playa Mia isn't gone....The word tonight in the office at about 8:00 was they are shooting for reopening early next week! We might be knocked down here on the island but we bounce back super fast!!! PB was packed today.

You don't know me...so don't rack your brains. We will be in Cozumel on Christmas Eve and we were in Cozumel in March. I read these postings so frequently that I feel that I do know you.

With no word about Cozumel other than it bore the brunt of Emily; I was most concerned. In Grand Cayman, we did see the aftermath of Ivan last March; the damage was overwhelming.

We are just pleased to hear from you. And we wish you a speedy recovery.

Thank you so much for your well wishes...sincerely. What happened to Cayman last week was horrible and it took them months to recover. It was equally nasty here but we know how to build stronger buildings it seems. We are pretty much up and running. Granted it is not close to 100% but getting there pretty darn fast. My office got electricity this afternoon. Boy those people are cranky without their coffee maker!

To everyone...I tried to respond individually to all but I am dog tired and need sleep. 15 hour work day yesterday but only 13 today! But thank you, thank you, thank you for all those thoughts, wishes and words of encouragement. Here are some general answers I think:

Please come down...everyone is working round the clock to get things back to the way they were. Xcaret will be open in a few days along with Chankanaab. A few of the tours are at the mercy of mother nature to get rid of water or just need some vegetation removed to be up and operating. I talked to every tour operator this morning on the piers...everyone is very optimistic as to little down time.

I thought Mrs. Tom already had the baby. Am I wrong or is she expecting for a second time?

So glad to hear everyone is doing well and the damage wasn't too bad. We will be there in September and are looking forward to spending the day at PB again.

The only picture so far are of ultrasounds.

Tom Jr /Emilio(?) is due sometime during Octoberfest - um, if they actually celebrated in the right month, Octoberish, I believe.

This is the first info I have found on the damage to Cozumel! I live in central Forida, and could not find out anything, I am so glad everyone is Ok there! I have enjoyed visits and plan to come again in November. I will be with my new husband who has never cruised before or been out of the USA, and I am looking forward to showing him Cozumel! He has heard me talk so much of it, that during the storm he was glued to the weather station and keeping me updated on it's location. Good luck to all of you,we know how you feel, we had 3 last year here, and know very well the damage and discomforts.

Archived