More Cozumel Updates (Questions about hurricane effects)

nanaj2

I have been advised today that the Nachi Cocom beach club will remain closed until September 22nd for repairs due to damages caused by Hurricane Emily. I have inspected the site and all looks well. Apparently there is some structural damage that they need to address and the engineers have set this date. I am very sorry for anyone who had plans to visit this beautiful beach club before this date, and also for the many staff who will be out of work until this time as a result. Your understanding and support is greatly appreciated and we will do our very best to keep you updated on the progress of the club.

Thanks for the update Andrew. I guess that makes it official. It is a sad situation for the staff to be in. I regret our not be able to see this beautiful beach club. All 20 of us were so looking forward to it.

Thanks again

I have been advised today that the Nachi Cocom beach club will remain closed until September 22nd for repairs due to damages caused by Hurricane Emily. I have inspected the site and all looks well. Apparently there is some structural damage that they need to address and the engineers have set this date. I am very sorry for anyone who had plans to visit this beautiful beach club before this date, and also for the many staff who will be out of work until this time as a result. Your understanding and support is greatly appreciated and we will do our very best to keep you updated on the progress of the club.

That is sad news indeed. A great alternative would be Mr. Sancho´s. I wish the Nachi-Cocom crew success in re-opening their fine club.

Does anyone have a "post hurricane" report on Mr. Sancho's? I thought I had read that all of their beach palapas had blown away. On the other hand, I've read so many conflicting reports I'm not sure what to believe anymore!

What is the current word on Chankanaab? Is it open for busines? What condition is the beach in?

We had reserved the Beach Break at Nachi Cocom so now I'm trying to figure out what "Plan B" is going to be. After 8 months of planning, now I'm scrambling at the last minute!! :eek:

Thanks to all on the island for your valuable insights.

My question ... we're arriving on September 7th and had planned to rent a jeep to drive around to the east side of the island. Do you still think we'll be able to do that? Or should we make other plans?

What is the current word on Chankanaab? Is it open for busines? What condition is the beach in?

We were just at Chankanaab on Monday (8/1). When we got in the taxi at the pier, the driver told us that he did not believe that Chankanaab was open and the only way that he would take us there was if we already had our Dolphin Discovery tickets (which we did). When we got to the park, he asked the guy at the little booth at the entrance and he said that they were open. The first thing that we noticed was that the huge palapa at the entrance was gone. Everything was open and back up and running. You could see a lot of damage to the trees, vegetation and landscaping, etc. but they were working hard to get it cleaned up. The museum was closed and one of the workers told us that the botanical gardens were gone.

We enjoyed our day at the little beach area for the kids.

Hope this helps,

Julie

ILCruiser, as of right now you cannot drive along the eastern shore of Cozumel. They have the road closed starting at Mezcalitos, the first club you get to right by the Trans-Island road, all the way south to Bob Marleys. So, that entire stretch of eastcoast road is closed, as are all (I'm fairly certain) of the beach clubs over there.

I haven't seen pics of Chen Rio since the hurricane but I know that Punta Morena and Coconuts both sustained pretty heavy damage. I would assume Chen Rio did as well.

Since the beach club is closed, does that mean that the "Zorro" catamaran excursion is not available? This was a snorkel trip, 3 reef etc.

anyone know?

thanks

I sent an email to mayan paradise asking about the boats and this was the response:

"the boats are fine but he huricane affected us a fair

bit...mostly because of the drop in people coming.

Also big time because our Zorro tour was impacted

drastically by the closure of 4 of the five hotels we

sold our tours from.

We have changed our schedules drastically. We run the

Zorro out of downtown to do what was virtually the

same trip as the MARIA DEL MAR.

The Maria Del Mar is basically staying in port until

things pick up...but it's going to be very very hard

for the next few months."

Julie...thanks for the up to date report. Were there still all of the smaller palapas throughout the beach or were they gone too?

Was the restaurant open for business?

mathgal, the smaller palapas were still there. We got to Chankanaab right at 11 am so we were lucky enough to get a few chairs under one of the palapas at the children's beach. The restaurants were open but we didn't eat there. We took our own bottled water and ate a really big breakfast on the ship so all we bought was a couple of cokes ($2.50 for a 16 oz bottle!).

ZYDECOCRUISER-

Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it.

I called them this afternoon and Sherri from Cozumel Insider told me that hey were still running the tour and that even though things would be changed slightly they are running.

I booked the tour for the 18th, looking forward to it. I am glad that they are safe and well.

Andrew, do you think we should cancel? We are reserved for Sept. 23. How firm is the Sept 22nd reopen date? We need to decide on another place if there is any chance we can't come and enjoy ALL the features. Thanks, Steve

Chat Transcript

info: Thank you for Contacting Live Help. Please wait for the next available Excursion Expert to respond. Please ask our Excursion Experts about our Tours in Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Calica and Playa Del Carmen!

info: You are now chatting with 'Katie'

Katie: Hello Stephen

Katie: How can I help?

Stephen : Just read on Cruise Critic that the Beach Break won't open until Sept 22. Is this date firm? We are scheduled for Sept. 23, 2005

Katie: Yes, our operations was in Cozumel this week meeting with the owners of the club and they have set this date

Katie: We will be checking the status week to week and will advise well in advance if there is any chance that there will be continued delays

Stephen : We want to enjoy everything advertised. Will it be a "compromised" in any way?

Katie: They had hoped to re-open in August

Katie: When the club reopens nothing will be compromised

Katie: The pool. Jacuzzie

Katie: all in good shape

Katie: The beach is in great shape

Stephen : I know, too bad it is scheduled so close to our arrival

Katie: There is some work they are doing to the main structure and that is basically it

Katie: I will know 2 weeks before your tour if they are on schedule

Katie: We will not take any chances on your date in port

Stephen : Good. We are interested in the pool, bar, beach and buffet. Are massages available?

Katie: Yes

Katie: Usually about $1/minute

Stephen : Thanks, Katie. Can I print this chat?

Katie: Yes you may

Stephen : Goodbye and be safe!

Katie: Take care and thanks for your patience

Hi All! If anyone finds out when the east side road opens again, could you please post here? Want to know in advance whether renting a car will be necessary or not. Only will rent if east side open for tourists.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't heard word yet. We are waiting for the road to be repaired. Did hear that Rancho Buena Vista (the horseback tour) reopened yesterday. Great news!

Thanks Solita! Let us all know when word gets out! Hate to hear business' down for long. Such a hardship!

What is the current word on Chankanaab? Is it open for business? What condition is the beach in?

Chankanaab reopened earlier than planned on Monday August 1. We were there on Thursday, August 4. The beach is in great shape...still pretty and lots of shade available. The snorkeling was as good as it was when we were there 4 years ago. The restaurant was open. The botanical gardens behind the beach had a lot of damage. It is not nearly as lush as it once was and you can see areas where they stacked dead trees and plants, but they've done a great job and I'm sure it will be back to normal soon. We only saw one iguana. I couldn't find anyone who could tell me what happened to them. I heard the dolphin center right there next to the beach never closed. Even if you don't do the dolphin swim, you can watch them from up close on the docks.

Definitely go! The snorkeling is awesome. $12 for adults, less than 10 minutes from the dock. $10 cab each way.

Thanks Solita! Let us all know when word gets out! Hate to hear business' down for long. Such a hardship!

They are up and running! Really good to see the cowboys back on the pier. Horses doing great.

I have read reports that they will be rebuilding, but things like this can take a bit of time on "island time".

Your reports are inaccurate. The entire operation is up and running as of almost 10 days ago.

Archived